Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:22 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,880 times

Advertisements

A lot of west county bashing probably comes from overly defensive city/inner burb residents responding to criticism of the city (guilty of that at times myself...)

This kind of dialouge, although relatively uncommon on these boards, is common elsewhere:

West Countian: The city sucks, has constant crime, lousy schools, and its dirty. If it weren't for the Cardinals I would never go there!

City Resident: Yeah and west county is nothing but mcmansions, strip malls, soccer moms, SUV's, bible thumpers, and applebees! If it weren't for Castlewood, I'd never go there!

The problem is this accomplishes nothing and displays an awful lot of ignorance on all levels. There's some great things about west county and some great things about the city. I will talk about how great the city is all the time, but I refrain from bashing the suburbs because it's not constructive and beside the point.

Besides, it's way more fun for me to highlight all the great things about St. Louis city that people don't realize than it is to make ridiculous blanket statements about the suburbs. And I agree with the OP about Chesterfield, it is a pretty cool place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 02:11 PM

80 posts, read 159,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerbaseball5 View Post
I have seen a lot of west county bashing, especially Chesterfield. As a resident of Chesterfield (Wildhorse subdivision), I'm inclined to offer my opinions on west county, as well as your opinions. So here we go:

-Politics: West County is definetely a Conservative Christian stronghold. There are exceptions to the rule (myself- a proud liberal), but most are conservative, and if I may say so, somewhat narrow minded and bigoted. However, that does not mean that everyone here is a terrible person.
-Culture: while not the center of culture and diversity like the city, West County does have some local flavor to offer. Chesterfield has good local restaurants, such as International Tap House, Wildhorse Grill, Caitos Pizza, etc. Yes, there are mainly chain restaurants, but it is the suburbs.
-Attractions- I highly recommend Chesterfield city park, especially "The Awakening" statue (very cool). Also, a wide variety of outdoor recreation opportunitie (too many to list). The mall, movie theatres, lots of shopping/dining, Hidden Valley skiing/snowboarding, etc.
-Attitude- I realize that there is a lot of West County elitism, or perceived elitism. However, some of this is undue praise. I may sound like an elitist myself, but many areas of West County (i.e. Manchester, Ballwin, Ellisville, Eureka) are really not much different than St Charles or South County. The wealthy areas are Chesterfield, Wildwood, Clarkson Valley, Creve Coeur, and St. Albans (although not in Stl County, very close).

Final thoughts, sorry if this is going on too long:
Although it may not be your favorite place, West county is a great place to live- affluent, great schools, beautiful scenery (at least in Wildwood/chesterfield/st albans), stuff to do. And if I want to experience culture, I come to the city (which i think is awesome). But for a place to live, I'm good with Chesterfield. So there you go, have at it.
Not all bashing comes from the city folks. We moved here from California 4 years ago, right next door to a nut case who has made our lives hell. The thing is, we moved here without friends or family in the local area. We find the people here to be very unfriendly and ignorant. No one has bothered to get to know us despite the fact we have tried to get to know them. After 4 years I still don't know anyone here, and after all we have had to deal with I just want to move back home to civilization. West County elitism is very much confused with trash. There is nothing elite about these people. The elite inbreed I call it.

Don't you folks have any pride in yourselves, or your communities? Is this how you all want outsiders to view you? I met this retired man in my local community who told me if he had to live the rest of his life in STL, he would rather not continue to live. He is from California. I don't dare tell him about our experience here in W.C., it make him even more depressed.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:18 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,382,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerbaseball5 View Post

-Attitude- I realize that there is a lot of West County elitism, or perceived elitism. However, some of this is undue praise. I may sound like an elitist myself, but many areas of West County (i.e. Manchester, Ballwin, Ellisville, Eureka) are really not much different than St Charles or South County. The wealthy areas are Chesterfield, Wildwood, Clarkson Valley, Creve Coeur, and St. Albans (although not in Stl County, very close).
Glad that was mentioned. West County has a more diverse housing and neighborhood options than many people give credit. I grew up in the area and most of the higher end housing did not appear until the 1980s mostly along the HWY 40 corridor. Prior to that, the suburban development was along Manchester Rd where the more middle class neighborhoods are. So for a passerby just driving along I64, its understandable to see all the larger homes and thinking the entire area is like that.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:30 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,382,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCB123 View Post
Not all bashing comes from the city folks. We moved here from California 4 years ago, right next door to a nut case who has made our lives hell. The thing is, we moved here without friends or family in the local area. We find the people here to be very unfriendly and ignorant. No one has bothered to get to know us despite the fact we have tried to get to know them. After 4 years I still don't know anyone here, and after all we have had to deal with I just want to move back home to civilization. West County elitism is very much confused with trash. There is nothing elite about these people. The elite inbreed I call it.
Even though I don't really know what you mean by "elite inbreed", I will say I have experienced what's in bold lettering when I moved to the location I live in now, so I do know what its like. I've made efforts in my neighborhood too, but clannishness seems to keep some from reciprocating (I live in a rural area now after growing up in WC). So you are right to be upset about that. Some people get so tied up in their long term cliques, they forget that there are other people in the world.

As far as your nut-case neighbor, you should take issue with said nut case, not the entire neighborhood.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:25 PM

662 posts, read 1,048,669 times
See, the things you are talking about are the reasons why have a hard time here. I'm from a suburb in Washington State (stepdad made over $80,000) and we never felt above people. I had one of the biggest houses of the kids at my school, but there is no elitism. I do feel the sense of entitlement from people in the area. Less in Creve Couer (I went to the lake for the first time!) and more in Chesterfield and Wildwood. My problem is that people judge based on the area you live in. Not that Chesterfield isn't nice, because it is. I think for the price comparativley, say to Chicago, its better. But I hate the single mindedness.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:26 PM

When I look at West County, especially seeing osme of the people there, I think of Orange Couny housewives

Old 04-20-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scb123 View Post
not all bashing comes from the city folks. We moved here from california 4 years ago, right next door to a nut case who has made our lives hell. The thing is, we moved here without friends or family in the local area. We find the people here to be very unfriendly and ignorant. No one has bothered to get to know us despite the fact we have tried to get to know them. After 4 years i still don't know anyone here, and after all we have had to deal with i just want to move back home to civilization. West county elitism is very much confused with trash. There is nothing elite about these people. The elite inbreed i call it.

Don't you folks have any pride in yourselves, or your communities? Is this how you all want outsiders to view you? I met this retired man in my local community who told me if he had to live the rest of his life in stl, he would rather not continue to live. He is from california. I don't dare tell him about our experience here in w.c., it make him even more depressed.
west coast baby!

Old 04-20-2010, 08:16 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
When I look at West County, especially seeing osme of the people there, I think of Orange Couny housewives

Yes, but with bigger overall butts .

Speaking as someone whose family lives on the "fringe" (near 270/364), West County has a diversified collection of cool people, pretty people, ugly people, short people, tall people, fat people, skinny people, whatever. It is more family oriented but...wow...a couple of cool bars/microbreweries are minutes away in the City.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:21 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCB123 View Post

Don't you folks have any pride in yourselves, or your communities? Is this how you all want outsiders to view you? I met this retired man in my local community who told me if he had to live the rest of his life in STL, he would rather not continue to live. He is from California. I don't dare tell him about our experience here in W.C., it make him even more depressed.
Sorry to hear your neighbor is a tool. We have a few of those as well.

Some of our neighbors hate us too (we're a bi-racial couple with a beautiful, mixed-race child). You know what? The hell with the people that are rude to you - get online and join/meet up with a social club with common interests. Go to one of the beer festivals, go to a wine thing in Hermann, go see some live music. You will meet more friendly, healthier people.

It took us a long time to realize this, and we're NATIVES (although we spent more time in the military away from STL), but there are pockets of open-minded, independent thinkers here. You will find them, they are generally the younger, healthier people.

Don't let the fact that most of them are liberals discourage you

Old 04-20-2010, 08:43 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,013,801 times
I actually enjoy west county, the only thing i wish is that it was closer towards the city, even though that would defeat what i love most about the area which are the roads. As an avid motorcycle rider, i typically put Chesterfield, Wildwood, and St. Albans on my list of destinations. If i'm feeling more adventurous, i'll swing out towards Washington and Herman, MO.

My grandmother lives out in Ballwin and was mentioning to me that we should move out there. I essentially just declined for financial reasons (the areas i like are well out of my price range) but passed that, my job is in the city which would mean an even longer commute to work, and i've reach my limit on commute times (i think). As a result, the mid counties suit me a little better, Hazelwood, Bridgeton, Maryland Heights, Creve Coeur (even though it's kinda west county) and the ones slightly further in fit my budget, Overland, St. Ann.

All in all, i'm pretty happy, was able to get my dose of suburbia, without cookie cutter housing and small yards, without being even further away from the city, or on one of the highways that doesn't go in the direction i want to go in. The only thing i wish is that i lived closer to enjoyable motorbiking roads, but hey, it's a pleasure vehicle anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis