Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:43 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
Sorry to hear your neighbor is a tool. We have a few of those as well.

Some of our neighbors hate us too (we're a bi-racial couple with a beautiful, mixed-race child). You know what? The hell with the people that are rude to you - get online and join/meet up with a social club with common interests. Go to one of the beer festivals, go to a wine thing in Hermann, go see some live music. You will meet more friendly, healthier people.

It took us a long time to realize this, and we're NATIVES (although we spent more time in the military away from STL), but there are pockets of open-minded, independent thinkers here. You will find them, they are generally the younger, healthier people.

Don't let the fact that most of them are liberals discourage you
Dont forget about the Route du Vin!!!! Amazing wine, amazing food, amazing scenery!

Route du Vin | Ste. Genevieve Missouri's Wine Trail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 08:46 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Dont forget about the Route du Vin!!!! Amazing wine, amazing food, amazing scenery!

Route du Vin | Ste. Genevieve Missouri's Wine Trail

Sounds awesome, we don't drink wine, too much sugar lol.

But yeah, there are some good wineries within a few hours of STL.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:02 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Sounds awesome, we don't drink wine, too much sugar lol.

But yeah, there are some good wineries within a few hours of STL.
Crown Winery, which is on the Route, has a great microbrewery.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:23 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,415 times
I find it puzzeling that people find it difficult to meet others here. I have no problem meeting new people and I find people to be extremely friendly and rather out going.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:34 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
I find it puzzeling that people find it difficult to meet others here. I have no problem meeting new people and I find people to be extremely friendly and rather out going.
Maybe you are extremely friendly and outgoing.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:38 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCB123 View Post
Not all bashing comes from the city folks. We moved here from California 4 years ago, right next door to a nut case who has made our lives hell. The thing is, we moved here without friends or family in the local area. We find the people here to be very unfriendly and ignorant. No one has bothered to get to know us despite the fact we have tried to get to know them. After 4 years I still don't know anyone here, and after all we have had to deal with I just want to move back home to civilization. West County elitism is very much confused with trash. There is nothing elite about these people. The elite inbreed I call it.

Don't you folks have any pride in yourselves, or your communities? Is this how you all want outsiders to view you? I met this retired man in my local community who told me if he had to live the rest of his life in STL, he would rather not continue to live. He is from California. I don't dare tell him about our experience here in W.C., it make him even more depressed.
So its just not me. I think there is a built in prejudice against Californians. Maybe the locals watch to much TV and think all Californians are the vapid self absorbed yahoos they see on reality shows.

As much as I like my neighbors, I think I have only been in three of their homes, and they are also transplants. Its not that they are mean or anything, it just seems that they would rather stay within their own little closed circles of friends.

I've been back in CA for over a month, and glad to be back around genuine people that are able to express honest thoughts and tell you things the way it is. My experience with Missourians is that they will say one thing and not follow through or do something totally different.

In addition to my old friends, I have developed a new social circle of artists and athletes that I never met before. Just hoping this business venture takes off, so I can stay here even longer.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:14 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
So its just not me. I think there is a built in prejudice against Californians. Maybe the locals watch to much TV and think all Californians are the vapid self absorbed yahoos they see on reality shows.

As much as I like my neighbors, I think I have only been in three of their homes, and they are also transplants. Its not that they are mean or anything, it just seems that they would rather stay within their own little closed circles of friends.

I've been back in CA for over a month, and glad to be back around genuine people that are able to express honest thoughts and tell you things the way it is. My experience with Missourians is that they will say one thing and not follow through or do something totally different.

In addition to my old friends, I have developed a new social circle of artists and athletes that I never met before. Just hoping this business venture takes off, so I can stay here even longer.

Our coolest neighbors in Creve Coeur are from San Diego. They are class acts all the way.

We like most Californians. They are generally healthy, active, educated and progressive-thinking people.

As natives who are well-traveled and educated, my wife and I have concluded that three terms may have been invented in St. Louis:

(1) Comfort Zone
(2) Cultural Conservatism
(3) Sunday Drivers

We are very outgoing, active and friendly people to folks from all over (yes, even democrats), mainly because of our military travels and trying to set an example for our daughter on how to be positive, healthy and respectful to people.

For years we hated the City for its politics and inability to care for itself. It seems now that there is veritable progress - albeit slow, but it is there. This past Blues season, we actually went to Tigin's before a Blues game (normally we hit Rigazzi's), and we had a nice time.

West County is a safe, family-oriented location. Yes, you will encounter cultural elitists, pot-bellied balding lawyers in their BMWs acting like king ****, housewives with more makeovers than Mount Rushmore, and pious propaganda.

My suggestion is to do what my wife and I call the "30/70" rule - we estimate that 30 percent of the people here are open, intelligent and welcoming to others outside their "comfort zone" - hang with them. You'll be happier in the long run.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:37 PM

662 posts, read 1,048,669 times
Quote:
Our coolest neighbors in Creve Coeur are from San Diego. They are class acts all the way.

We like most Californians. They are generally healthy, active, educated and progressive-thinking people.

As natives who are well-traveled and educated, my wife and I have concluded that three terms may have been invented in St. Louis:

(1) Comfort Zone
(2) Cultural Conservatism
(3) Sunday Drivers

We are very outgoing, active and friendly people to folks from all over (yes, even democrats), mainly because of our military travels and trying to set an example for our daughter on how to be positive, healthy and respectful to people.

For years we hated the City for its politics and inability to care for itself. It seems now that there is veritable progress - albeit slow, but it is there. This past Blues season, we actually went to Tigin's before a Blues game (normally we hit Rigazzi's), and we had a nice time.

West County is a safe, family-oriented location. Yes, you will encounter cultural elitists, pot-bellied balding lawyers in their BMWs acting like king ****, housewives with more makeovers than Mount Rushmore, and pious propaganda.

My suggestion is to do what my wife and I call the "30/70" rule - we estimate that 30 percent of the people here are open, intelligent and welcoming to others outside their "comfort zone" - hang with them. You'll be happier in the long run.
Lolz, I can't stop lauging (tears are coming outta my eyes).

Old 04-21-2010, 09:51 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,180,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post

Dinsdale, your posts never cease to amaze me.

Are you honestly implying that Missouri has less genuine people per capita than California?

Well actually you may be right about people expressing their "genuine" feelings out in California. I spent one summer in Mid-City, Los Angeles and experienced more racial slurs, vitriolic verbal attacks, and pompous attitudes than my whole time growing up in University City. I found people in Los Angeles to be cold, plastic, uninviting, and self consumed. Which is actually the complete opposite of my summer experiences in the NYC (a coastal, cultured city).

Even after my horrible experience in Los Angeles, I never made blanket statements about the region. I know there are "genuinely" good people everywhere and some of them even live in St. Louis (believe it or not). I even managed to make a couple good friends in Los Angeles despite the fast, cut throat, and abrasive culture of many locals. All in all I hold no grudges about California. It's a beautiful place (if you can afford it), with beautiful women, cultured people, and exciting cities around every mountain in every valley.

Being such a cultured, coastal, educated move maker, I would think that you would have no problem adapting to any environment. After all isn't that what players in the game do? I feel like I can go to Afghanistan and make a friend. That's just the kind of person I am. I've made friends with conservative, rural, white people and I'm a liberal, urban, black guy. Genuine people are willing to adapt to their environments without changing who they are. I'm just real like that and I guess that's why people like me wherever I go (especially when I hit the West and East Coast).

St. Louis is the 18th largest urban area in the country with 1st class amenities, universities, and cultural centers. It is rough around the edges and could uses some elbow grease, but its far from the unlivable, cultural, backwater that you make it. There is something for everybody in St. Louis, even stuffy guys like you Dinsdale.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:55 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,727 times
^
Bravo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis