Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 05:37 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,013,801 times

Advertisements

Yeh, what i'd wonder most is "what you're looking for" and "where ya working". I know you said you don't want "urban" or "city" living, but do you picture yourself in a more country setting, or just suburban? St. Louis has it's very "ritzy" spots as mentioned earlier, but if you're simply looking for an apartment in a safe suburb, the vast majority of the St. Louis area outside of the city limits, clayton, and probably university city would foot your bill. Let us know exactly what you picture as "home" and we might be able to steer you in the direction you're looking to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 05:47 PM

82 posts, read 285,695 times
I'm not moving alone, and I don't have a job lined up yet due to a lot of the jobs I try applying for in my field require me to go in person, so I won't be doing that until moving. What do you consider suburban? Where I'm from it means a 'town' setting. i'm simply looking for a clean, safe area that would be close enough to businesses for work. If by suburbs you mean a town or very small city then I don't mind that either. I just don't wish to live in a big city is all. A friend of mine told me all areas such as Hazelwood, Florissant, St. Charles, etc. are all nice locations but I'm not so sure after reading so much online and on these forums. As you can see it has become quite confusing at this point since I do not know the areas at all in Missouri.

I understand Knollwood, Village Square, and Parkwood Place apts in Hazelwood are suppose to be nice apartments in good locations of Hazelwood. Does that sound about right? Are there any good apartment recommendations that can be made for nice areas of St Charles? I'm looking for either a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom apartment.

Last edited by JL1543; 05-12-2010 at 06:37 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 11:35 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,727 times
You might want to try New Town in St Charles for an apartment. Other than that, I would look in Kirkwood. St Charles really isn't the place to be for someone in their 20's.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:36 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
You might want to try New Town in St Charles for an apartment. Other than that, I would look in Kirkwood. St Charles really isn't the place to be for someone in their 20's.

New Town is very nice, there are a decent amount of transplants there (so you won't have to deal with the mindless xenophobic BS). But please keep this in mind:

The properties in New Town are WAY overpriced and well under maximum vacancy - you have the leverage in the negotiation. Try to find someone willing to rent out their townhome/home for a bargain.

Kirkwood is OK but make sure you are out of earshot of the train track, it's pretty active.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:10 PM

12 posts, read 32,227 times
As far as choosing apartments in Hazelwood (or in any city), be sure to also read all of the complex reviews that you can find. Here are some--and if you search the internet, you can find others:

Knollwood, Hazelwood, MO : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local

Village Square, Hazelwood, MO : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local

Hazelwood Apartments for Rent - Hazelwood Apartments Reviews and Ratings

One other place you may want to look:

st louis apts/housing for rent classifieds "hazelwood" - craigslist

Old 05-22-2010, 05:30 PM

12 posts, read 32,227 times
Forgot to also post the craigslist link for St Charles apartments:

st louis apts/housing for rent classifieds "st charles" - craigslist

Old 05-24-2010, 01:36 PM

662 posts, read 1,048,669 times
If you live in Hazelwood, stay off Howdershell. Anywhere on that road is pretty nice. Florrisant has a lot of hit and miss. Not sure about St. Charles.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:12 AM

8 posts, read 14,500 times
Wow, sorry to hear that "everyone" in Florissant is uneducated and bitter. That's a shocker to me since I'm quite familiar with Florissant and Hazelwood and know people who range from the fast food worker to architects, doctors, business owners, etc. - both white and African American. I doubt those people would appreciate being lumped in with "all" the other uneducated and bitter folks. Furthermore, there are some amazing churches, loving communities that help in time of need, friendly law enforcement people, and just good, honest people who have been a lifeline in times of financial, health or other crises. Florissant has a beautiful historic district, amazing Fall Festival, nice moderately priced homes that give you a lot more square footage than the pricier areas, and overall is a friendly, clean, safe place to live. The fact that some on this board would say "everyone" in a certain area fits a sterotype, when they've obviously actually interacted with a small percentage of residents is unfortunate. Though St. Louis CITY, not county, has the majority of the crime that puts St. Louis on the "worst" National lists each year, it is not fair to say that every single person in St. Louis City is a gang member, criminal, morally empty, anti-social, atheist, uneducated or anything else. As human beings, we should always give the benefit of the doubt and a measure of grace to the "masses" we have not personally interacted with. Among EVERY neighborhood there are good and bad people, open-minded and close-minded people, loving and hateful people - just as, it seems, there are on the internet. But I digress... the point is, Florissant is a nice place to live and you will find friendly people, convenient shopping, season activities, beautiful parks and a lot more. Visit before you decide.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:48 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjamik View Post
Though St. Louis CITY, not county, has the majority of the crime that puts St. Louis on the "worst" National lists each year, it is not fair to say that every single person in St. Louis City is a gang member, criminal, morally empty, anti-social, atheist, uneducated or anything else. As human beings, we should always give the benefit of the doubt and a measure of grace to the "masses" we have not personally interacted with. Among EVERY neighborhood there are good and bad people, open-minded and close-minded people, loving and hateful people - just as, it seems, there are on the internet. But I digress... the point is, Florissant is a nice place to live and you will find friendly people, convenient shopping, season activities, beautiful parks and a lot more. Visit before you decide.
I don't disagree with your post at all, but why are athiests lumped in with gang members, criminals, morally empty, anti-social, and the uneducated? That kind of ignorance goes against the rest of what you wrote about being open minded if you ask me.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:41 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
New Town is very nice, there are a decent amount of transplants there (so you won't have to deal with the mindless xenophobic BS). But please keep this in mind:

The properties in New Town are WAY overpriced and well under maximum vacancy - you have the leverage in the negotiation. Try to find someone willing to rent out their townhome/home for a bargain.

Kirkwood is OK but make sure you are out of earshot of the train track, it's pretty active.
We spent two evenings in Kirkwood, one of those nights we had dinner right next to the train track. Two separate trains barrelled through while we were eating and drinking beer. On the first night, we were trying to make our way back to I-270 so we could get back to our hotel in Maryland Heights, and a train obstructed our passage on what I want to say was Geyer Road, headed south. That area was off the main drag, very residential, and I was wondering the same thing, after getting by. The train took about 10 minutes just to pass through. I had the same exact thoughts: how do people living around this area tolerate so much train traffic. It's otherwise a beautiful community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis