U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 10:54 AM

4,811 posts, read 9,451,634 times

Advertisements

my friend is looking to move to st louis because his fiance's family lives there. What can he expect moving from a coast town to an inland town/ What's the weather like? How about crime? Is it better than living in san diego?
Rate this post positively

Old 05-24-2010, 11:16 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,313,252 times
I grew up in Escondido, and here's some points I can think of:
St Louis will feel much more smaller than San Diego because it is comparatively incredibly easy to get anywhere you want.
Crime is linked to where you live in the region, but unlike San Diego, the violent criminals are almost exclusively targeting each other and not yet. Theft from vehicle is a lot more prevalent, burglary is not.
St Louis in winter will not be nearly as cold as he thinks it will be. The snow here is mild and easy to get used to. Summer, meanwhile, will be much hotter than he will expect. There is no way to prepare for the combination of heat and humidity coming from San Diego. It even makes inland San Diego County (where I came from) feel hot.
Better depends on what you are looking for. Schools are much better here; employment prospects probably are better right now too. Housing is much much more affordable.
Much better people watching in San Diego. He will miss the beach. Less variety of outdoor activities here and the music scene is much better in San Diego, but the natural landscapes are more impressive around St Louis. I wouldn't go back to San Diego or even California (I had job offers there that paid more when I took my job here out of Oregon).

Old 05-24-2010, 11:31 AM

29 posts, read 70,036 times
Default Mild Winter? Hot Summers?

Coming from Florida the summers are not as terrible here in St Louis. I am used to 95-100 degrees during multiple days in a row for months (June-Early Sept) with lots of humidity. Now that I live in St. Louis, I like these summers as they are not bad compared to Florida. The winters are not mild in St Louis. Cold and Snow. Now if you compare the Winters to farther north such as Wisconsin or Minnesota then yes they are milder compared to those places but I am sorry the Winter is not mild here. I would say the Winter is mild in Atlanta or South Carolina for example. Again it is how you phrase things and what you are used to as being "mild". If someone from St Louis tells me the hot summer months are terrible, I just smile and think about Florida Summers or South Texas Summers where I am originally from... Just Brutal. St Louis gets really cold from Dec to Feb and there is a good amount of snow average 20 inch. I hope this helps. Just my 2 cents. St Louis is a great place and you will love it.

Last edited by xigris14; 05-24-2010 at 12:43 PM..

Old 05-24-2010, 11:54 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,622,901 times
Better is all relative. And their experience in St. Louis will depend on which part of the area they move to. There are parts of the area, particularly in the outlier of the metro area that tend to reflect more of the negative stereotype of midwesterners as ignorant, redneck-ish (we call them hoosiers here), unedcated. In the core of the area you will find a nice mixture of educated professionals, hipsters, rich, poor, educated, foreign, and blue collar.

St. Louis has a major advantage in cost of living. Your money goes far here and your salary will afford you more of lifes luxuries such as having a nice house, nice meals, good schools, and just getting a better bang for your buck. We also have a vibrant arts scene, excellent parks, and countless independent businesses (coffeshops, grocery etc..) in the city.

What we don't have is an ocean and a nice warm climate like San Diego. If your friend is obsessed with scuba diving and surfing, they won't be very satisfied living here. But if they are interested in an historic, classical city with beautiful architecture, great museums, great parks, hot summers+cold winters, and an affordable and down to Earth place, then they will be happy here. Just stay close, or in the city

Old 05-24-2010, 05:14 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,278,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Better is all relative. And their experience in St. Louis will depend on which part of the area they move to. There are parts of the area, particularly in the outlier of the metro area that tend to reflect more of the negative stereotype of midwesterners as ignorant, redneck-ish (we call them hoosiers here), unedcated. In the core of the area you will find a nice mixture of educated professionals, hipsters, rich, poor, educated, foreign, and blue collar.

That's right, sport. Everyone who lives in the outer fringes of St. Louis County is an uneducated ignorant Midwestern hoosier. All of the successful, classy people live in the City. LMAO at City elitism, just an amusing intrinsically impossible concept...

Now, why don't you go ahead and explain that there are both quality and disgusting people in St. Louis City, St. Louis County, St. Charles County, Metro East in IL, hell even...Jefferson County! Would you tell a property owner in Huntleigh, Ladue or Lake Saint Louis that he/she is a bass-ackwards uneducated hoosier? Highly unlikely.

To the OP - St. Louis is indeed a LOONNNG way from San Diego in more ways than one, but if your friend moves here with an open mind, patience and a sense of humor for little "quirks," then he'll be fine. Other than surfing, he could pretty much do anything here that he did in SD. And he picks up a much better MLB team, but much worse NFL team ! We have some very nice neighbors orginally from Lemon Grove and we helped them get settled in. There are many folks moving here from California, and hopefully the healthy lifestyles and Western class will continue to manifest itself over time.

Welcome!

Old 05-24-2010, 05:49 PM

5,886 posts, read 11,984,279 times
Lake Saint Louis definitely has the closest vibe to anything in Southern California. Kind of like a Midwestern Version of Otay Mesa, including the franchise eateries.

Housing is definitely more affordable. The local museums and zoo can't compare to Balboa Park and San Diego Zoo, but at least the St. Louis Zoo is free.

Your friend is going to miss the the weather, the activities, the ocean, the mountains, the variety of food that is readily available.

Personally, I hated St. Louis so much that when I was offered a job back in CA, I jumped on it. If you don't already have a job lined up, good luck, you will find out real fast that the Greater StL metro area is very insular and parochial (as you can see by BoomBoxing's post)

Old 05-24-2010, 06:29 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,622,901 times
Sheesh. I never thought suggesting that more rural areas have a more "redneck" vibe was so controversial. I think i've posted enough here to demonstrate I don't seek to put anyone or any area down constantly (unlike others). Re-reading my post, I couldve worded it better, but my suggestion that living closer to the city is better stands. I'm a city booster and I won't apologize for it, but I love many the other parts of the area too.

(Psst, you guys do know by outlier I was referring to the rural
, not suburban parts of the metro, right?)

Old 05-24-2010, 06:46 PM

5,886 posts, read 11,984,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Sheesh. I never thought suggesting that more rural areas have a more "redneck" vibe was so controversial. I think i've posted enough here to demonstrate I don't seek to put anyone or any area down constantly (unlike others). Re-reading my post, I couldve worded it better, but my suggestion that living closer to the city is better stands. I'm a city booster and I won't apologize for it, but I love many the other parts of the area too.

(Psst, you guys do know by outlier I was referring to the rural
, not suburban parts of the metro, right?)
Don't sweat it, it turns redneck pretty fast outside the city limits. There are pockets between the City Limits and Lake Saint Louis than make West Virginia look cosmopolitan (And just so I don't sound like I am bashing StL: Oniontown, NY)

Old 05-24-2010, 07:29 PM

5,812 posts, read 17,688,692 times
Get used to humidity and heat, as well as a few significant snowfalls. Storms are an issue, sometimes. Still, I really like St. Louis. But St. Louis simply can't compete with the beach and the perfect weather of San Diego. St. Louis does have very good home prices, beautiful architecture, and some great landscapes, especially toward the middle of Missouri when you get into the Ozarks. Lake of the Ozarks is a common vacation spot for St. Louisans. It's a large lake with a lot of resorts all around it. You see people out there on boats and water skiing. I really enjoy my time there.

St. Louis does have some animosity between the County and the City, though I think it can be dealt with, it's an annoyance, though.

St. Louis, contrary to the beliefs of many, is not dying. There are a billion dollars worth of investments (including the Stix/St. Louis Centre project) that are scheduled for 2010 just in the city. Granted, not every project that is scheduled comes to fruition, but many of the projects have already started. There was a big party last weekend when the skybridge connecting St. Louis Centre and Stix Baer & Fuller was demolished (actually, it's an ongoing process, but they celebrated the first wrecking ball hitting the skybridge).

I think St. Louis is a great place to live, and your friend could be very happy there, but it is not San Diego, nor can it be. If your friend is expecting St. Louis to be exactly like San Diego, he will be disappointed. There will be tradeoffs.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:44 PM

23,417 posts, read 34,439,506 times
Even though I am a native St Louisan, I am actually rather glad I'm moving back to Hoosierville, lol.........I can get to STL in less than an hour, and dont have to put up with the insufferable attitudes of some of the "trendy" city folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis