Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 06:31 PM

362 posts, read 1,856,329 times

Advertisements

According to the 2007 estimate, St. Louis county lost 2.1% of its population (from 1,016,315 to 995,118). Why do you think this is? Granted, this could be inaccurate, but still, I don't want to see St. Louis County on the decline!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 06:54 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
St. Charles county gained 40k.

Every other county in the metro either gained or lost like 1000 people or less (basically held steady). St. Louis City has basically leveled out also.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:44 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,069 times
Its attributed by white flight from North county to St Charles County.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:40 PM

76 posts, read 235,668 times
Do you think it is realistic to persuade some of those people fleeing to the exurbs to consider relocating to the city? I think, and Im sure most would agree, that if we strengthen the core of the city, both the suburbs and city would benefit.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:42 PM

80 posts, read 222,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keethler View Post
Do you think it is realistic to persuade some of those people fleeing to the exurbs to consider relocating to the city? I think, and Im sure most would agree, that if we strengthen the core of the city, both the suburbs and city would benefit.
I don't know if it's realistic but it would definitely be helpful. Cities in conservative areas tend to turn into sprawlsville as people seek to privatize their communities. When a region spreads out faster than its job and population growth supports, infrastructure and government cost per capita rises. Infrastructure in neighborhoods that lose population must still be maintained. Infrastructure tends to have fairly fixed costs that don't decrease in line with the population. This is one of the key factors that leads to rising tax and utility rates in many communities.

It was recently reported that the St. Louis metro area has the 4th largest sewer system in the nation despite having only the 18th largest population.

Saint Louis Beacon - Five things to know about MSD's multibillion-dollar 'Clean Rivers' program

In addition, the state of Missouri has the 7th largest highway system but is only the 18th largest state by population. Missouri has less than half the population of Illinois but more than twice as many miles of road. See page 12 of this document for a comparison with nearby states: http://www.modot.mo.gov/about/documents/2008FinancialSnapshot_Final.pdf (broken link)

So St. Louis and Missouri in general are pretty much the definition of unsustainable development. From an economic standpoint, changing that should be a matter of creating financial incentives for people to live in the core. Ironically, though, this is already the case. There is essentially a cost of living discount for residents of the STL metro area who live the city proper, provided they don't have school-age children. Clearly there are other forces at work here that are non-economic.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:07 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
A more dense city would certainly be better for the metro. Some people are afraid to move to the city. Some can't afford private schools or can't get into magnets/charters. I think eventually people will begin to realize that it does not make sense to live in Wentzville and drive to the city or even a near suburb to work.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:36 PM

76 posts, read 235,668 times
As a city resident who commutes to the 'burbs for work, I am an anomaly in St. Louis. I agree with the prior comment that there is a discount for living in the city...I could not afford what I can here when I was in Chicago (last year). I will tell anyone who is listening from the 'burbs that the city is absolutely safe, its as interesting as you want it to be, its as serene as you want it, its simply a great place to live. The problem is that most people dont experience it long enough to get past their pre-conceived notions. The thing that makes St Louis different form larger cities is that the interesting areas are not as obvious as bigger cities. You must spend some time here, look around, feel the city's pulse, and discover. Living somewhere that is turning around gives you a sense of life you dont feel in places that are already "there." e.g. burbs and mega-cities. When I leave Clayton at the end of the day, I exhale in relief when I enter the city limits once again.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:12 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Sorry but the people feeling Florissant for Dardenne Prairie wouldn't move to the city if you offered them a mansion filled with money. BELIEVE me.

If we're going to work to strengthen out urban core we have to work on crime and schools. There are only so many yuppies and dinks to go around.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:58 AM

53 posts, read 196,842 times
Missouri estimates that from 2000 to 2030 the St Louis County population will decline from 1,016,300 to 956,817 representing a 5.9% decrease. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of where the St Louis County decline is estimated to occur. My guess is that the northern part will comprise most of the loss while the southern and western parts continue to increase or remain steady.

The state also forecasts that in the next 30 years St Charles County will overtake St Louis City County as the number 3 most populous county.

Here's the source: http://oa.mo.gov/bp/projections/fig2-5.pdf

Old 04-06-2009, 12:05 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I never buy these census estimates -- they're very often wrong. I remember they suggested Chicago was going to lose population in the 2000 census, but they instead gained a decent number of residents.

And you know what? Maybe I'm completely wrong, but the day that St. Charles County overtakes the city is the day I eat my own arm. I don't believe this will EVER happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis