Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a Subaru owner, which are you?
Democrat (Liberal/Progressive) 87 43.28%
Republican (Conservative/Libertarian/Tea Party) 54 26.87%
Independent (Non-Partisan) 52 25.87%
Non-Political (Non-Voter) 8 3.98%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 03:34 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That's just silly

A truck has its purpose as much as a lesbaru (I have driven both). For example, if I have to haul lumber for home repairs, or a few hundred pounds of topsoil for my garden, I am not going to drive the Forester, but the truck.

That said, I don't consider the Forester with its anemic motor, "fuel efficient." It may not burn as much fuel as the truck, but it burns a lot more fuel than a lot of other small vehicles on the road.

That said, driving any vehicle can be considered wasteful in regards of wasting fuel.
No, it's not silly.

I don't like or dislike anyone on this site because I don't know you so I have no opinion either way.

Call it a pet peeve but when a poster makes a claim (as many have) that they NEED a pickup truck because 5 or 6 times a year, they have to transport furniture, firewood, appliances, or whatever, then I may call them on it.

Is it a convenience? Yes.

But a true NEED? No, because a truck could be rented for those few occasions that it's needed or perhaps a friend or relative with a truck would be willing to help but either option would probably make more financial sense than incurring the total cost of owning your own truck.

If someone buys a truck because they WANT a truck, I'm cool with that, but at least be honest about why you bought it.

Last edited by phlinak; 03-14-2014 at 03:44 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I'm not happy with people who parade their virtue. Online.
Neither am I, but one sentence does not make a parade. Online.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:40 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
No, it's not silly.

I don't like or dislike anyone on this site because I don't know you so I have no opinion either way.

Call it a pet peeve but when a poster makes a claim (as many have) that they NEED a pickup truck because 5 or 6 times a year, they have to transport furniture, firewood, appliances, or whatever, then I may call them on it.

Is it a convenience? Yes.

But a true NEED? No, because a truck could be rented for those few occasions that it's needed or perhaps a friend or relative with a truck would be willing to help but either option would probably make more financial sense than incurring the total cost of owning your own truck.

If someone buys a truck because they WANT a truck, I'm cool with that, but at least be honest about why you bought it.
I haven't said anything relating to liking nor disliking anybody in this forum. My points are as follows:

If having a truck is wasteful, so is having a car. Both have their purposes; the truck is used to haul or carry heavy loads, while the car isn't. But to consider a truck that is used by others, "wasteful," is a silly notion. It may be wasteful to you, but not necessarily to others. Now, if you were always riding a bicycle, then you could very well consider anybody driving trucks and cars a complete waste of money; still that would only be your opinion.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I haven't said anything relating to liking nor disliking anybody in this forum. My points are as follows:

If having a truck is wasteful, so is having a car. Both have their purposes; the truck is used to haul or carry heavy loads, while the car isn't. But to consider a truck that is used by others, "wasteful," is a silly notion. It may be wasteful to you, but not necessarily to others. Now, if you were always riding a bicycle, then you could very well consider anybody driving trucks and cars a complete waste of money; still that would only be your opinion.
Re-read my post and I think you can see that I said, in essence, the same thing.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:24 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
I don't know, but I do have a thing for women that drive Subarus

Old 03-15-2014, 12:25 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,621,818 times
I love the Outback commercial in which Subaru actually pokes fun at its own core demographic and brands them as aging hipsters with more bad taste than actual talent. It's the ad with the GenX husband lugging around his ginormous painting easel from one grand scenic site to another out in the wild with wife in toe, and at the end we see his "artwork" and it looks like cr@ppy watercolors made by a 4th grader. It's like Subaru is admitting that we build cars for fake Softcore ppl who want to look rough & tumble, when the most hardcore thing they do is pick up groceries from Trader Joe's or some herbs to plant into the "organic" container garden out on the patio.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:32 PM

416 posts, read 871,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Congratulations and who cares. I'm... a person. I don't think political with everything I do in life and politics certainly have nothing to do with what kind of car someone drives. Everyone is a damn politician these days. This thread topic is strange.
I'm not expecting anyone to care. I'm simply replying to the thread.

No one cares you're a person, to be fair. And if you don't like people politicizing things so much, WTF are you doing in this thread?

Old 03-15-2014, 04:05 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
My first Subaru was an 81 DL wagon. I bought it while in college and used it to go skiing on the weekends. I have had 2 Imprezas and currently own a 12 Forester. In 81 I bought it for its utility purposes and the fact it had the best gas mileage available with on-demand 4wd. I looked at a lot of competing brands when buying my 2012 but other than the RAV4 there were few that gave the mileage, reliability, and excellence in snow that the Subaru does. It came down to price. The Forester was over $3,000 less than the comparably-equipped RAV4. I've had it 21 months and put 54,000 miles on it. I'm not a huge fan of the 0W20 synthetic oil but after about 25,000 its oil consumption settled down. That being said. I consistently get about 24 mpg combined in winter and 27 in summer with the 4 speed auto. There are few vehicles that consistently deliver that mpg, offer AWD and have as much room as the Forester. When another one comes out in the same price range I'll be giving it a serious look.

As for political leanings, I am true conservation-minded conservative, but I like to rile my hard-right friends who joke about my choice of vehicles by having a peace sign with the American flag stuck on my Forester.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I don't know, but I do have a thing for women that drive Subarus

Old 03-17-2014, 09:43 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,045,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I have heard this stereotype bandied about for years but is it true?

Do Subaru owners really tend to be "left-wing, tree-hugging, granola-crunching liberals"?

So, to all you Subaru owners, where do you stand and what are your observations?
I'm such a liberal tree hugger that most of the time I don't even drive my old Subaru, preferring to ride my bicycle instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru