Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 07:55 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I find it interesting that the countries with the highest dairy consumption also have the highest incidence of osteoporosis.
That's amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 08:11 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
How are you supposed to get enough calcium when you are allergic to dairy products?

I'm still going to take my calcium citrate.

I can't eat enough green leafy vegetables and almonds. The calcium in a lot of soy products is calcium carbonate--from what I always heard, your body can barely even use it.

I do know that you need magnesium to balance out calcium. Too much calcium will push magnesium out of your body. I believe that low magnesium is a factor in some heart attacks but I'm not a doctor. I also know that caffeine lowers calcium so I drink decaff and no soda.

I agree with those who say to not believe every study you hear about but I'd like to know more so I hope others will add to this discussion.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:46 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,964,746 times
From what I've read....

The soil that our food is grown in is the key to getting the proper amounts of calcium, magnesium (as in-newengand just said, they need to be consumed together) and other minerals. Poor soil, hydroplants, etc. make for poor foods and so we need supplements. Foods grown organically in rich soil have the correct balance.

As for supplements....it's not the supplements per se that are a problem, though lab-produced, but the nutrients and micronutrients that belong together. So many times you see bottles of just this or that, like just calcium. Calcium-magnesium together is apparently better. Also, digestion and absorption begins in the mouth, with mastication. We do not chew our pills, we just swallow them. Some prominent doctor I forget who said the best way to take supplements is to powder them and mix with food, not too appetizing imo.

Calcium deposits, I've read, can cause other problems too, like stones. It's kind of unnerving to think about calcium in general (from foods, too) possibly contributing to heart attacks. It is possible that the "food gurus" who invented the original food pyramid in the 50s have it all wrong about how much we need of any one thing (?)

Old 07-04-2012, 07:44 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm still going to take my calcium citrate.

I agree with those who say to not believe every study you hear about but I'd like to know more so I hope others will add to this discussion.

I am going to continue to take mine as well. I take 250mg twice per day. The rest of my calcium comes from milk and calcium fortified orange juice.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:05 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Default Osteoporosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
That's amazing!
Having strong bones depends upon more than just calcium, etc. intake. Bone building exercise, like walking, also build strong bones and is very important.

A few years ago I fell down the stairs and my hips were x-rayed afterward. The doc said I had "young hips." this thrilled me since I was nearing 60 at the time!! I do a lot of stair climbing and at the time was taking a lot of walks, which I have started doing again.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:07 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Default Osteoporosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
That's amazing!
Bones are also strengthened from high impact exercise like walking. A walk every day can make a difference in your bones.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Bones are also strengthened from high impact exercise like walking. A walk every day can make a difference in your bones.

Yes and that is why I walk at least 5 times per week for 30 minutes.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:14 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Again, make sure the calcium is balanced with magnesium. I never knew the importance of magnesium until a doctor told me a long time ago and so I've always been careful to get calcium supplements that also contain the magnesium. Magnesium relaxes the muscles, the heart is a muscle. Too much calcium can cause spasms and cramping.

You can also take magnesium supplements (not the cheap magnesium oxide that they sell in the drugstores). Good, absorbable forms are available in natural food stores. My husband had kidney stones--they were made of calcium. I had him start taking some magnesium and lay off the things that deplete your body of magnesium like soda, caffeine, alcohol, and he never had a kidney stone again. Doctors just don't tell us these things for some reason. Some doctors will tell you, thank goodness.

(if you have too much calcium the body will deposit it somewhere it shouldn't be.) Magnesium and calcium balance each other out and if you have enough magnesium it pushes the extra calcium out--or maybe it helps your body to use the magnesium. I don't know the technical terms, I am not a doctor. I was only TOLD by a doctor. MANY people are magnesium deficient--it's not necessarily from too much calcium, it's from not enough magnesium to balance out the calcium.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Again, make sure the calcium is balanced with magnesium. I never knew the importance of magnesium until a doctor told me a long time ago and so I've always been careful to get calcium supplements that also contain the magnesium. Magnesium relaxes the muscles, the heart is a muscle. Too much calcium can cause spasms and cramping.

You can also take magnesium supplements (not the cheap magnesium oxide that they sell in the drugstores). Good, absorbable forms are available in natural food stores. My husband had kidney stones--they were made of calcium. I had him start taking some magnesium and lay off the things that deplete your body of magnesium like soda, caffeine, alcohol, and he never had a kidney stone again. Doctors just don't tell us these things for some reason. Some doctors will tell you, thank goodness.

(if you have too much calcium the body will deposit it somewhere it shouldn't be.) Magnesium and calcium balance each other out and if you have enough magnesium it pushes the extra calcium out--or maybe it helps your body to use the magnesium. I don't know the technical terms, I am not a doctor. I was only TOLD by a doctor. MANY people are magnesium deficient--it's not necessarily from too much calcium, it's from not enough magnesium to balance out the calcium.

My doctor told me the very same thing.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:59 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,325 times
Progesterone, like calcium, seems to help support bone density.....

Progesterone as a bone-trophic hormone.
Prior JC.
Endocr Rev. 1990 May; 11(2):386-98.
Experimental, epidemiological, and clinical data indicate that progesterone is active in bone metabolism. Progesterone appears to act directly on bone by engaging an osteoblast receptor or indirectly through competition for a glucocorticoid osteoblast receptor. Progesterone seems to promote bone formation and/or increase bone turnover. It is possible, through estrogen-stimulated increased progesterone binding to the osteoblast receptor, that progesterone plays a role in the coupling of bone resorption with bone formation. A model of the interdependent actions of progesterone and estrogen on appropriately-"ready" cells in each bone multicellular unit can be tied into the integrated secretions of these hormones within the ovulatory cycle. Figure 5 is an illustration of this concept. It shows the phases of the bone remodeling cycle in parallel with temporal changes in gonadal steroids across a stylized ovulatory cycle. Increasing estrogen production before ovulation may reverse the resorption occurring in a "sensitive" bone multicellular unit while gonadal steroid levels are low at the time of menstrual flow. The bone remodeling unit would then be ready to begin a phase of formation as progesterone levels peaked in the midluteal phase. From this perspective, the normal ovulatory cycle looks like a natural bone-activating, coherence cycle. Critical analysis of the reviewed data indicate that progesterone meets the necessary criteria to play a causal role in mineral metabolism. This review provides the preliminary basis for further molecular, genetic, experimental, and clinical investigation of the role(s) of progesterone in bone remodeling. Much further data are needed about the interrelationships between gonadal steroids and the "life cycle" of bone. Feldman et al., however, may have been prophetic when he commented; "If this anti-glucocorticoid effect of progesterone also holds true in bone, then postmenopausal osteoporosis may be, in part, a progesterone deficiency disease."
Osteoporosis - Abstracts : Online Reference for Health Concerns

Progesterone Misconceptions (and information, with references)
By Dr. Sergey Dzugan and Armond Scipione
Progesterone Misconceptions - 2 - Life Extension
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements