Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 01:13 PM

5 posts, read 2,886 times

Advertisements

So I've been dealing with a lot of anxiety and migraines for over 10 years. Last year around this same time I developed this intense head pressure on top of my migraines which in turn made my anxiety sky rocket. The head pressure is non-stop, it makes being awake difficult. I go to work and then come home and sleep until work the next morning because I can't function. I'm miserable. I've been to doctors, hospitals, chiropractors ect. No one knows what's wrong with me. I've been researching trying to find some relief and have read about multiple different supplements to take that can help migraines, pressure, sinus issues, anxiety, depression, energy levels ect. all of which I deal with.

So my question is how much is too much? Can you take too many supplements?

I don't eat healthy which is something I know I need to fix and I don't exercise (again something I know I need to fix). But I started taking a B Vitamin complex & Blood Builder (iron supplement) from MegaFood. I'm awaiting my Magnesium supplement. I use CBD oil currently which has helped some of my other issues before my head pressure started.

I was looking into Ginger Root, Vitamin D, and somewhere else mentioned COQ10.

And if anyone has any ideas on what could be causing this head pressure/how to fix it please let me know. I'm desperate. I'm miserable. It took about 4 months last year for it to go away. And I'm unsure how to function at work like this. Last year I didn't work during it. I'm barely eating because I'm not hungry and sleeping non-stop. My doctor last year said it might be allergies but how does nothing help relieve it? I take Clairitin and the Nasal Spray every day. I've also been told it's rebound headaches or simply migraines. I get migraines ON top of the head pressure.

Last edited by astoriai; 09-23-2018 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: Adding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 01:29 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
OP: There is no answer for how much is too much. I'm 80 and take quite a few supplements and they are working good for my aging body. I do take higher doses of Vit C as I truly believe in the power of antioxidants for so much and for sure as our bodies age.

My big big support is Grape Seed Extract and I'm headed into 24 yrs of taking it. Could really help with your issues. I got on it back in 1995 and we were told MAY prevent cancer(s) and and shortly into taking it, got rid of a former life of allergy and sinus issues. I have no headaches.

I started taking supps at about early 50's and know many are taking them younger now. Our foods are a crime unless one grows their own organics.

My thoughts are to start with 200mg Grape Seed Ex with at least 90% polyphenols in the product and go from there, often you can go to two per day. Depending on your bodyweight too. You didn't mention your age and that has some bearing too.

I don't go to many doctors but have been researching this world for over 25 yrs. And you would never get this type of info from an allopathic MD anyway, only integrative MD's and naturopaths and functional medical MD's.

PS: Grape Seed Ex works on all circulation from head to toes and that could be the pressure you talk about, not getting good circulation. Just thinking out loud, I don't have this issue of the pressure but I've been taking GSE for years.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-23-2018 at 02:11 PM..

Old 09-23-2018, 02:12 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
I hate to say it, but probably two of your biggest problems are your diet and not exercising. If you aren’t moving around much, that can cause tension headaches which can transform into migraines. You might also be dehydrated. I often find that I have the worst headaches when I get dehydrated and try to drink water throughout the day. I told my doctor I thought this might have been an issue and she agreed since I exercise a lot.

The only supplement that is been recommended for me to try is butterbur because I did not have a magnesium deficiency. Magnesium did nothing for me when I tried it for that reason. FWIW, these recommendations have come from both MDs and DOs. It was my PCP who was an MD who ran the thorough tests for the migraines/vitamin deficiency. I just take a multivitamin, fish oil, and a butterbur supplement now. There is one that comes with feverfew, which is also supposed to help.

Have you checked to see if you have TMJ? If you do, sleeping will make your problem worse. If I don’t wear my night guard, the entire left side of my head feels awful even when I touch it.

In the winter, when the air is dry, I also use a humidifier and put essential oils into the diffuser part. If you live in a dry area, you may want to do this year round. If the air is really dry, I feel awful.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I hate to say it, but probably two of your biggest problems are your diet and not exercising. If you aren’t moving around much, that can cause tension headaches which can transform into migraines. You might also be dehydrated. I often find that I have the worst headaches when I get dehydrated and try to drink water throughout the day. I told my doctor I thought this might have been an issue and she agreed since I exercise a lot.

The only supplement that is been recommended for me to try is butterbur because I did not have a magnesium deficiency. Magnesium did nothing for me when I tried it for that reason. FWIW, these recommendations have come from both MDs and DOs. It was my PCP who was an MD who ran the thorough tests for the migraines/vitamin deficiency. I just take a multivitamin, fish oil, and a butterbur supplement now. There is one that comes with feverfew, which is also supposed to help.

Have you checked to see if you have TMJ? If you do, sleeping will make your problem worse. If I don’t wear my night guard, the entire left side of my head feels awful even when I touch it.

In the winter, when the air is dry, I also use a humidifier and put essential oils into the diffuser part. If you live in a dry area, you may want to do this year round. If the air is really dry, I feel awful.
Funny in all the supps I've ever taken or take, never tried butterbur, maybe I'm missing something.

As for the mag as I said before, many are deficient and even if one comes in at the range they can still need this mineral. Often results are profound and often subtle. Sleep is helped so much by taking additional mag.

Water is important and I drink it all day. Sip here and there, glasses when ever...water can help everything just about.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:29 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
OP, the level of supplements I take varies. More antioxidants and herbs when sick, when doing heavy yard work or lifting, I take more muscle supplements like athletes do, I’m trying collagen supplements now, but this may change in the future. I think it’s probably better for you to vary levels of vitamins so some don’t build up and your body has a varied supply of nutrients. This goes with eating a varied diet of course. I agree with Jam, pure water is good for you.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post

I do have TMJ. However my guards only seemed to make me wake up in MORE pain so I quit wearing it. I know my diet and lack of exercise don't help but, I've had all of my problems for over 10 years. And the intense head pressure only started the last 2 and I was way more active before. I did find out only recently that I was addicted to Excedrin and having rebound headaches so that probably didn't help either.

I have a humidifier and use essential oils. Peppermint sometimes helps with a small headache. Not usually once I get to the full out migraine phase and has done nothing for my head pressure. I haven't tried butterbur but I tried feverfew a few years back. Worked great, then I got my period and it lasted over a month and I read more into it and saw that's a common occurrence with women who use it so I said "nope".

Old 09-23-2018, 04:39 PM

I'm 26. I've been told multiple times the amount of issues I have at 26 is ridiculous as I should be in prime shape. Yet I constantly have something going on even though I'm ~healthy. Headaches/migraines, head pressure, gut issues, anxiety, depression, ocd, dizziness, night sweats, shaking if I'm hungry, tmj, bruising easily, my back and neck aren't aligned correctly, I have no energy or motivation.

I know I definitely need to change my diet. I'm working on that. And last time I got into exercising I quit a month later because both of my legs ended up completely bruised. Like HUGE bruises, looked like I'd been beaten to a pulp. Had tests ran and they couldn't figure out what was causing it as my blood was clotting how it was supposed to. So I kind of got scared.

I read somewhere else recently about the Grape Seed Extract and was looking into that one as well. I just wasn't sure if you could take a whole ton of different vitamins/supplements.

I also pretty much only drink water. Now I may not drink 8 8 oz a day like is recommended but it's something right?

Old 09-23-2018, 05:03 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astoriai View Post
I do have TMJ. However my guards only seemed to make me wake up in MORE pain so I quit wearing it. I know my diet and lack of exercise don't help but, I've had all of my problems for over 10 years. And the intense head pressure only started the last 2 and I was way more active before. I did find out only recently that I was addicted to Excedrin and having rebound headaches so that probably didn't help either.

I have a humidifier and use essential oils. Peppermint sometimes helps with a small headache. Not usually once I get to the full out migraine phase and has done nothing for my head pressure. I haven't tried butterbur but I tried feverfew a few years back. Worked great, then I got my period and it lasted over a month and I read more into it and saw that's a common occurrence with women who use it so I said "nope".
I would strongly recommend seeing about another guard. It sounds like that one you had might not have fit you right. If it is not fitting right, it can make the problem worse. I know for me, that is the single biggest contributor to migraines other than not drinking enough water. Before I got one or when my first one was getting too old, I would wake up in the middle of the night with a headache most of the nights of the week, and of course then I was getting all the rebound headaches as well from taking so many painkillers. I try to keep it now at no more than 2-3 times a week so I don’t get the rebound headaches.

Thanks for the info about feverfew, by the way. I just started a combined supplement and noticed more spotting—- something I didn’t have before I started this supplement. This could explain a lot. I will go back to the butterbur only.

I am sorry about your exercising problem. Perhaps try something really simple at first like just doing a brisk walk on a treadmill or outside every day. That is how I started to get a little more active at first.

Have you also checked on your neck tension, by any chance? I had one friend who was getting migraines like every day and with her they discovered she just had insane neck tension and they put her on a regimen of daily exercises. She says she still gets occasional migraines, but nothing like she was having before. I imagine this would also help with the TMJ- there are exercises you can do for TMJ. I am just trying to think of things you can do that are not related to using more medicines. Definitely give the butterbur a try though. I haven’t noticed any additional flow with that one, just (apparently) the feverfew.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:03 PM

OP: All those issues you list are far too much for anyone at any age. And yes at 26 you are in the beginning of your prime. I know our foods are so so bad and when I was your age no issues at all but allergy stuff which are now history.

Work on tackling one or two issues at a time and you are in too much trouble with it all, see a naturopath or integrative MD....Life is great but all your issues!!!

I have exercised all my life starting in my 30's and no bruising so I don't know what you are doing there. Don't know if you are a female and if so could be hormonal too.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:35 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astoriai View Post
...Headaches/migraines, head pressure, gut issues, anxiety, depression, ocd, dizziness, night sweats, shaking if I'm hungry, tmj, bruising easily, my back and neck aren't aligned correctly, I have no energy or motivation.

If you know that your back and neck arent aligned correctly, what are you doing about it? That alone can be the cause of most, if not all, of your problems.

From the time I was a baby, I had what were diagnosed as migraine headaches. I distinctly recall having an EEG at the age of 3. It showed no abnormalities, so my parents figured the pain must be "all in my head" and never pursued the condition further. Thank goodness I went to Catholic schools or I'd never have met the minimum number of attendance days to be promoted, because I missed at least 1-2 days per week due to my headaches. I used to spend my weekly allowance on large bottles of aspirin.

The debilitating headaches continued, 1-2 each week, until I turned 30 and wrenched my neck in a minor accident. The treating doctor prescribed traction on an out-patient basis at a local hospital. I went there for an hour traction treatment each day for 30 days. At the end of that time my headaches totally disappeared and I've never had another one in the 42 years since. When I mentioned this to the doctor, he suggested that my head and neck might have gotten misaligned during birth.

I hope you'll consider consulting with a doctor about your misalignment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements