Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2018, 05:16 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times

Advertisements

This summer, I saw serrapeptase on the shelves of a store I go to regularly. I noticed it had a reputation for being good for sinuses, so I tried it on a whim. However, I didn't start using it regularly until the past month or so. (I was playing with various herbs this summer, and it was too confusing to add serrapeptase at that time.) Once I started taking it regularly, it seemed to improve the condition of my sinuses a bit, so I became curious about nattokinase, which I recently saw mentioned in various places. Nattokinase has been making a dramatic difference in my sinuses. No, it has not been a magic bullet to clear the whole thing up, but it's cut back a lot on congestion, and largely eliminated any serious sinus pressure. I've only been taking it for a week, so the benefits could very well turn out to be temporary. That's certainly happened before.

I've already jumped from 2000 FU once a day, to 2000 FU twice a day. I am considering adding some other enzymes (including seaprose-S), and probably dropping serrapeptase.

As you may know, nattokinase has a reputation for many positive effects, including clearing clots, thinning blood, improving circulation, lowering blood pressure, etc.

Anyway, I thought I'd start a general thread for discussing the use of enzymes for non-digestive purposes. Usually that means they are taken on an empty stomach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 10:22 AM

Popular thread!

I just wanted to make note of this somewhere: in the last year I've noticed that on the rare occasions when I've eaten dairy, it hasn't made my sinuses worse. I have not been getting the rapid and very noticeable increase in congestion that has usually come with eating even small amounts of dairy in the past. The most likely cause for this positive change is the enzymes I have been taking, primarily nattokinase. I even tested myself this weekend by eating large amounts of lasagna and a little ice cream (for a special occasion). I have noticed only the slightest increase in congestion. It would be very good news for me if I can now resume eating some dairy. It would make life a lot easier for me, since I mostly depend on frozen foods and what's available at restaurants (not the healthiest, I realize, but someone needs to fix my energy problems before I start preparing food for myself again), so eliminating dairy eliminated many of my options.

The other thing I've noticed about nattokinase is that when I temporarily stopped taking it a little while back, my mood deteriorated a little. I think it has been helping boost my mood since I started taking it, without my realizing it.

Right now I am trying lumbrokinase, but I haven't noticed any reason to prefer it to nattokinase, and since I don't have any known heart problems or problems with congested arteries, I don't see a reason to switch to it, especially since it's more expensive and more difficult for me to obtain.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:53 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I've been taking 2000 FU's nattokinase for some yrs now as it's one of the supps to lower homocysteine as one MD started to test me for. This and TMG and B12 ..

Old 11-12-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've been taking 2000 FU's nattokinase for some yrs now as it's one of the supps to lower homocysteine as one MD started to test me for. This and TMG and B12 ..
I have a very sedentary job, and have a lot of down time otherwise, due to fatigue issues, so I like the idea of taking something that is hopefully having a cardiovascular benefit.

I am going to be trying Niagen (nicotinamide riboside) very soon (it's on the way!), and TMG has come up as something some people recommend taking with it, so I will need to look into that.

After intensively trialing supplements this year, I think I need to start reading some books on biochemistry at at a level a layperson can understand.

To return to my earlier comment, I am continuing to be able to eat dairy without significant sinus effects, but I think that on days when I am particularly blocked up, I should probably refrain. Also, during peak allergy season, when mucous can be an issue in a way it is not the rest of the year, I might skip the dairy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements