U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 09:03 AM

1,371 posts, read 509,947 times

Advertisements

I wonder if there is a difference between beet powder and beet root capsules? The beet powder I have is to be mixed with water. Oh, and then I wonder about canned beets. Which is better or more effective for high blood pressure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 09:06 PM

3,066 posts, read 902,175 times
Make some homemade beet juice. That will be the healthiest. Good quality juicer + organic beets from grocery store = organic beet root juice.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:24 AM

37,535 posts, read 23,552,184 times
Whole, fresh beets, and if that isn't convenient whatever you can find that is closes to a whole beet. I would just eat the beets, they are cheap, easy to prepare, or, Costco sells them already cooked and peeled in a bag.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 04-21-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Make some homemade beet juice. That will be the healthiest. Good quality juicer + organic beets from grocery store = organic beet root juice.
How about cooking them? Do you think I would get the same benefits from them?

Old 04-21-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Whole, fresh beets, and if that isn't convenient whatever you can find that is closes to a whole beet. I would just eat the beets, they are cheap, easy to prepare, or, Costco sells them already cooked and peeled in a bag.
That sounds good. Although I don't mind cooking them. Would that be better, do you think, than drinking the powdered beets? Also, how long do you think I can keep the cooked beets from Costco? I'm only one person. I like cooked beets. I hear the greens are good, too.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:45 PM

795 posts, read 229,380 times
Beets in its purest form is always going to contain the most nutrients. Any processing diminishes what is available. Cooked beets are better for you than no beets. And powdered beets are probably better than no beets as well, but how were they processed? That matters too.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
That sounds good. Although I don't mind cooking them. Would that be better, do you think, than drinking the powdered beets? Also, how long do you think I can keep the cooked beets from Costco? I'm only one person. I like cooked beets. I hear the greens are good, too.
Costco is really good about putting expiration dates on stuff. A beet and green salad is even better.

WebMD gives a thumbs up to the beet juice, so I stand corrected: https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/f...beetroot-juice.

Cooking may damper the effects, so I would go with raw beet salads if feasible. You may want to check out Dr. Gregger's book How Not To Die. IIRC, he mentions a study of eating 4 brazil nuts a day for blood pressure, he said the study was small, and need further studies, but you are supposed to eat nuts daily, so if you have HBP, it can't hurt.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Costco is really good about putting expiration dates on stuff. A beet and green salad is even better.

WebMD gives a thumbs up to the beet juice, so I stand corrected: https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/f...beetroot-juice.

Cooking may damper the effects, so I would go with raw beet salads if feasible. You may want to check out Dr. Gregger's book How Not To Die. IIRC, he mentions a study of eating 4 brazil nuts a day for blood pressure, he said the study was small, and need further studies, but you are supposed to eat nuts daily, so if you have HBP, it can't hurt.
I hope to go to Costco tomorrow. More and more studies link nutrition to health. Then today in the news they were saying how studies have found that people who miss breakfast regularly are prone to heart disease. But they were showing things like sausage, meat patties, pancakes, to eat, all the bad things. :-) Finally one of the commentators said that he doesn't know about all that gooey stuff for breakfast. The other one said she doesn't eat breakfast at all. I try to eat fruit to start my day. I suppose I should go back to oatmeal,too, but I'm afraid the bagel gets in the way. At least I try with whole wheat bagel. :-)

Old 04-23-2019, 06:04 PM

I don't think that nutrition has ever been NOT linked to health. But better late than never.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:56 PM

18 posts, read 8,204 times
Personally I take beet root powder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or