Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 01:39 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I disagree, this thread is about constipation, and whole grains, beans and legumes are gut healthy.

We will agree to disagree.

Quick google showed oats and barely are considered pre biotic too.
Except that those foods can aggravate gut problems, and can even promote constipation for someone with gut issues. As I've said from the beginning, they can be slowly added back in when gut health is restored, when good bacteria is in sufficient numbers to handle more soluble fiber.

Your five years of constipation tell me that your way doesn't work. My way works.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 07-14-2019 at 01:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 10:12 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

Your five years of constipation tell me that your way doesn't work. My way works.
I've had IBS since I was in my 20s, so from a medical standpoint, your observation is way off base.

When I offer advice, I don't just go off my own experience, it is more from general reading, of reliable sites and books, and what the OP describes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-15-2019, 11:56 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,466,637 times
Taking high(er) doses of Magnesium with plenty of water helps me to keep things moving. Vitamin C in larger does as well. As for the magnesium, not that much of what you take is actually absorbed so upping the dose does make a difference. I would say 800mg a day is about right. It's certainly better to take the magnesium than to take something like MoM which contains other questionable ingredients.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:52 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,257,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Taking high(er) doses of Magnesium with plenty of water helps me to keep things moving. Vitamin C in larger does as well. As for the magnesium, not that much of what you take is actually absorbed so upping the dose does make a difference. I would say 800mg a day is about right. It's certainly better to take the magnesium than to take something like MoM which contains other questionable ingredients.
I'll keep that in mind. I have magnesium citrate and I will work on upping the dose. I've only been taking 100mg.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:59 PM

Hi. I didn't want to get involved in the disagreement about beans, but I have to say I've always been inclined to believe that beans are good for one's gut and heart health. Although taken in quantity when one is not having good digestion can be problematic. I just made a blender mix of baked beans and sweet potatoes, and boy is that good! :-)

Old 07-15-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've had IBS since I was in my 20s, so from a medical standpoint, your observation is way off base.

When I offer advice, I don't just go off my own experience, it is more from general reading, of reliable sites and books, and what the OP describes.

Yeah, I know you have IBS. And I was relating how I resolved nearly ten years of chronic constipation. The OP didn't indicate IBS, other illness or meds causing her constipation, and she says her diet is good. Same here, and my diet was good too. The OP mentioned having probiotics which is an indication that the natural balance of gut bacteria is off. Prebiotic herbs and foods to the rescue!

It is recommended to temporarily eliminate beans and legumes because they are high fiber (too much fiber can cause constipation), are difficult to digest and commonly cause gas, bloating, pain or discomfort. Grains are also difficult to digest. The goal is to get well, not to aggravate the problem. Suddenly increasing dietary fiber can cause constipation too, so slowly adding those foods back in after the natural balance of bacteria is restored is recommended.

My constipation was not completely resolved until after I tried what I read in medical literature about increasing prebiotics and temporarily eliminating grains, beans and legumes. This may not be the same as the OP's problem but it sounds similar. In any case, it may help someone else.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Yeah, I know you have IBS. And I was relating how I resolved nearly ten years of chronic constipation. The OP didn't indicate IBS, other illness or meds causing her constipation, and she says her diet is good. Same here, and my diet was good too. The OP mentioned having probiotics which is an indication that the natural balance of gut bacteria is off. Prebiotic herbs and foods to the rescue!

It is recommended to temporarily eliminate beans and legumes because they are high fiber (too much fiber can cause constipation), are difficult to digest and commonly cause gas, bloating, pain or discomfort. Grains are also difficult to digest. The goal is to get well, not to aggravate the problem. Suddenly increasing dietary fiber can cause constipation too, so slowly adding those foods back in after the natural balance of bacteria is restored is recommended.

My constipation was not completely resolved until after I tried what I read in medical literature about increasing prebiotics and temporarily eliminating grains, beans and legumes. This may not be the same as the OP's problem but it sounds similar. In any case, it may help someone else.
I take probiotics because I think it's the right thing to do for me, but I don't really know. I just do it. I think, hope, and imagine it helps me, but I don't really know. I don't know what kinds of probiotics to take, I just take them from a bottle that says something like "10 probiotics." I haven't graduated to prebiotics yet. I don't think my gut will ever be normal in this lifetime but I am striving to help myself. I appreciate the conversations, I do.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I take probiotics because I think it's the right thing to do for me, but I don't really know. I just do it. I think, hope, and imagine it helps me, but I don't really know. I don't know what kinds of probiotics to take, I just take them from a bottle that says something like "10 probiotics."
So you don't know which strains of bacteria are in your probiotic. You might be making things worse.

Quote:
I haven't graduated to prebiotics yet.
You don't need a diploma to increase these herbs and foods. Prebiotics are herbs and foods high in inulin fiber, such as chicory, dandelion, asparagus, onions and more. This is fertilizer for good gut bacteria, and it inhibits growth of bad bacteria. The strains of bacteria that you are taking, even if good and right for you, may not even be surviving without enough inulin fiber to thrive.

Please be careful with senna. I use herbs almost daily for a variety of reasons but I wouldn't use senna more than once or twice, if at all. I never did use it, but was tempted. The risk for liver or other organ damage is too great for me to gamble on it. And caution: taking it together with milk of magnesia or other laxatives is known to cause adverse reactions.

As to the recommendations to take excess magnesium, this is the same as taking a laxative since this is exactly how many laxatives work. It's harsh on the digestive system. I wouldn't misuse it as a maintenance program for constipation.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:50 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,353,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I agree about the magnesium. I am taking 1000 mg in 4 divided doses through the day.

Constipation as a result of electrolyte imbalance is common in older adults, especially women. As the hormones lower, the body is less able to keep sodium out of the cells. The increased sodium load is what contributes to the constipation because it draws water out of the intestines, thereby making the stool dry, hard, and compacted.

Extra magnesium and potassium (and to a lesser extent calcium, B6/P5P, and zinc) help the body overcome the electrolyte imbalance to allow more water to stay in the intestines and normalize the stool.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:22 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I take probiotics because I think it's the right thing to do for me, but I don't really know. I just do it. I think, hope, and imagine it helps me, but I don't really know. I don't know what kinds of probiotics to take, I just take them from a bottle that says something like "10 probiotics." I haven't graduated to prebiotics yet. I don't think my gut will ever be normal in this lifetime but I am striving to help myself. I appreciate the conversations, I do.
I tried a bunch of different pro-biotics myself for awhile, and choose a wide range of strains and brands.

I noticed no difference, better or worse. None at all. So then I thought, I'll just up my fermented foods, and I did, and really... no difference. At least with the fermented foods I know I'm getting other nutritional benefits... but really the whole pro-biotic thing was a huge bust. I did the pre-biotics too, same thing.... no change
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements