Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 01:49 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_99 View Post
I'm adding to this thread because of a shoulder injury. About six months ago I had x-rays
and blood tests. The bones in my shoulder are healthy, but I've got chronic pain. I may
never know the cause of this shoulder pain.

I'd like to try glucosamine chondroitin and/or turmeric but there is a problem. Most people
get "normal" upset stomachs. That's not what happens to me. Diarrhea that lasts more than
24 hours can end in a trip to the hospital.

Possible side effects - WebMD or similar sites:

Glucosamine Chondroitin

Nausea
Diarrhea or constipation
Heartburn
Increased intestinal gas

Tumeric

Heats your body
Stomach inflammation
Abdominal pain and cramps
Kidney stones
Nausea and diarrhea
Allergic reaction
Iron deficiency

I applied capzasin cream (and other topical products) to my shoulder for several weeks.
Didn't help.

Because they are not regulated by the FDA, supplement manufacturers can make outrageous
claims about their products. Is there anything I can buy that will help my shoulder, but not
cause diarrhea?
I take turmeric circumin daily and have for years. No GI issues ever for me, it works wonders.
How much and what type have you taken?

By the way, have you tried a TENS massage device?
I had a rotator cuff injury a few years back and it did help me.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323632.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 02:05 PM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I take turmeric circumin daily and have for years. No GI issues ever for me, it works wonders.
How much and what type have you taken?

I take two tablets in the morning on an empty stomach, and never had any problems.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-22-2020, 10:19 PM

22 posts, read 33,002 times
I apologize for not returning to this thread sooner. I run two businesses that consume a lot
of my time.

Several male relatives (and me) were born with gastrointestinal problems. I've lived my
entire life being extremely careful about what I eat and drink. Any "hot" food like tumeric
would probably be dangerous, unless it was buffered or mixed with something else.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:44 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_99 View Post
I'm adding to this thread because of a shoulder injury. About six months ago I had x-rays
and blood tests. The bones in my shoulder are healthy, but I've got chronic pain. I may
never know the cause of this shoulder pain.

If there's no evidence of inflammation, then chances are your pain is from an imbalance of the muscle tension in the several muscles involved in the shoulder joint. One is in spasm, pulling the arm bone out of the neutral position and then it rubs on the other bones when you move it (the spasm itself hurts too)....It requires proper message & exercise to get it back into the middle where it belongs....Meds will only cover up the pain at best.

For the majority of us, most "arthritic" pains as we age are from high mileage deterioration of the joint surfaces....no real inflammation involved....While I'm generally against most OTC supplements (most haven't been studies well), but Chondroitin/glucosamine has been found to actually re-surface joints in horses....Because it's already available OTC as generics, nobody will go to the great expense and danger (involves before & after biopsies) of repeating the experiments in humans.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:26 AM

47 posts, read 35,125 times
You may also want to look into the absorption of your turmeric. For example, forms that are hydro-soluble absorb better.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:48 PM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
I'm thinking of taking chondroitin or gluchosamine to build joint cartilege...as a precautionary measure. I play sports that are hard on the joints. Which is better? Anyone read any studies?

I dont want to take both because I'm already taking 8 other supplements, and its getting to be a nuissance.

If you could only take 1, which would it be?

thx

Old 04-09-2020, 05:38 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I'm thinking of taking chondroitin or gluchosamine to build joint cartilege...as a precautionary measure. I play sports that are hard on the joints. Which is better? Anyone read any studies?

I dont want to take both because I'm already taking 8 other supplements, and its getting to be a nuissance.

If you could only take 1, which would it be?

thx
I used to take turmeric and didn't find it really did anything for me. I do have bad knees and went to the doctor and he is suggesting replacement surgery. I was hoping to hold off until I retire to have body parts fixed from life wear and tear. My right knee was really troublesome.

I have always taken glucosamine/chondroitin over the years with the hope of preventing hereditary bad joints. Maybe it helped knees to last as long as they have or had no effect who knows. As a last ditch effort to try and put off having knee replacement, I have listed what I have added and I must say my knees feel so much better. I do realize eventually I will need knees replaced but hoping I can buy some time.

Member's Mark Triple-Strength Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM Tablets - AM always did take these

Added to a daily regimen below

Cosamin ASU- PM

Carlson Elite Omega 3 Gems, 1600mg, Lemon Flavored, 240 Softgels -PM

Mueller Adjustable Knee Support- All-day

You can get any of the items from Sams club, Amazon, Walgreens ETC. No guarantee any will help but I can honestly say, it is working for me.

Old 04-11-2020, 01:48 PM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I used to take turmeric and didn't find it really did anything for me. I do have bad knees and went to the doctor and he is suggesting replacement surgery. I was hoping to hold off until I retire to have body parts fixed from life wear and tear. My right knee was really troublesome.

I have always taken glucosamine/chondroitin over the years with the hope of preventing hereditary bad joints. Maybe it helped knees to last as long as they have or had no effect who knows. As a last ditch effort to try and put off having knee replacement, I have listed what I have added and I must say my knees feel so much better. I do realize eventually I will need knees replaced but hoping I can buy some time.

Member's Mark Triple-Strength Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM Tablets - AM always did take these

Added to a daily regimen below

Cosamin ASU- PM

Carlson Elite Omega 3 Gems, 1600mg, Lemon Flavored, 240 Softgels -PM

Mueller Adjustable Knee Support- All-day

You can get any of the items from Sams club, Amazon, Walgreens ETC. No guarantee any will help but I can honestly say, it is working for me.
Thx! Are the Gluco/Chon in a single pill? Is Members Mark the brand name? What is MSM?

Old 04-11-2020, 05:51 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Thx! Are the Gluco/Chon in a single pill? Is Members Mark the brand name? What is MSM?
Members mark is the brand single pill and I take 2 in the morning and the Cosamin ASU and fish oil in the afternoon.

MSM is a chemical in animals, humans, and many plants. People use it most often to try to treat arthritis

Old 04-11-2020, 06:14 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
If you're taking pain meds to mask pain during hard impact exercise, you'll wear down your knee joints faster. I used to take glucosamine chondroitin before 10-mile runs (70 minutes) and eventually had to stop. You shouldn't try to run through pain. It took about three years to recover through a series of restarting the running and stopping again.

link

Do some weight training to support those joints (which I was). Lose some weight (I weighed 170 which is slightly heavy for a runner). And don't run everyday (which I was).

Last edited by lchoro; 04-11-2020 at 06:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements