Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 06:17 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
If you're taking pain meds to mask pain during hard impact exercise, you'll wear down your knee joints faster. I used to take glucosamine chondroitin before 10-mile runs (70 minutes) and eventually had to stop. You shouldn't try to run through pain. It took about three years to recover through a series of restarting the running and stopping again.

link
Every avid runner that I know eventually had bad knees. Too much impact on the joints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 06:52 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Members mark is the brand single pill and I take 2 in the morning and the Cosamin ASU and fish oil in the afternoon.

MSM is a chemical in animals, humans, and many plants. People use it most often to try to treat arthritis
MSM is used primarily for treating pain associated with osteoarthritis. Using it for arthritis is based on limited research, so its effectiveness hasn't been well established. I've tried every supplement I can find for knee pain. I have mild arthritis and a torn meniscus. I can say for sure that any supplement has done me any good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
If you're taking pain meds to mask pain during hard impact exercise, you'll wear down your knee joints faster. I used to take glucosamine chondroitin before 10-mile runs (70 minutes) and eventually had to stop. You shouldn't try to run through pain. It took about three years to recover through a series of restarting the running and stopping again.

link
Glucosamine and chondroitin are not pain medications, and they did not cause you to wear down your knee joints faster. I wouldn't recommend taking them on an empty stomach before a run. If they have any benefit, it will be from taking them regularly over a long period of time.

I read the Harvard Health article that you provided a link to, and agree with it. What I have found is some people feel they benefit from these supplements, but research studies don't find the same benefit. I have taken all these combinations for years and did not have any side effects other than a lighter wallet.

Quote:
Every avid runner that I know eventually had bad knees. Too much impact on the joints.
Absolutely no evidence that this is true. I ran over 200 races including 3 marathons. I also played a lot of basketball into my 60s. At 65, I have mild occasional pain in my right knee. My younger brother never ran or played basketball. He has had both knees replaced.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:54 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Members mark is the brand single pill and I take 2 in the morning and the Cosamin ASU and fish oil in the afternoon.

MSM is a chemical in animals, humans, and many plants. People use it most often to try to treat arthritis
Thx!

Old 04-14-2020, 12:00 PM

I don't have joint pain, but would like to add cartilage as a preventative measure. I only want to take 1 pill...but which 1?

Chondroitin

Glucosamine

Combination of both? Members Mark brand was mentioned

Old 04-14-2020, 12:25 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I don't have joint pain, but would like to add cartilage as a preventative measure. I only want to take 1 pill...but which 1?

Chondroitin

Glucosamine

Combination of both? Members Mark brand was mentioned
I would go with both.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I would go with both.
thx, I'll look for a combo pill that has both in it.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:00 AM

164 posts, read 127,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_99 View Post
I'm adding to this thread because of a shoulder injury. About six months ago I had x-rays
and blood tests. The bones in my shoulder are healthy, but I've got chronic pain. I may
never know the cause of this shoulder pain.

I'd like to try glucosamine chondroitin and/or turmeric but there is a problem. Most people
get "normal" upset stomachs. That's not what happens to me. Diarrhea that lasts more than
24 hours can end in a trip to the hospital.

Possible side effects - WebMD or similar sites:

Glucosamine Chondroitin

Nausea
Diarrhea or constipation
Heartburn
Increased intestinal gas

Tumeric

Heats your body
Stomach inflammation
Abdominal pain and cramps
Kidney stones
Nausea and diarrhea
Allergic reaction
Iron deficiency

I applied capzasin cream (and other topical products) to my shoulder for several weeks.
Didn't help.

Because they are not regulated by the FDA, supplement manufacturers can make outrageous
claims about their products. Is there anything I can buy that will help my shoulder, but not
cause diarrhea?

Great and informative post. I have used turmeric for Abdominal pain and cramps. It's really beneficial.
Thanks.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:40 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,101,925 times
"I have mild arthritis and a torn meniscus. I can say for sure that any supplement has done me any good."

Examine.com has good reviews on supplements that are evidenced base.

This Oxford paper gives an idea of what they think works/doesnt work
https://academic.oup.com/rheumatolog...4/iv75/4916021

Undenatured collagen (UC-II) - train your immune not to attack you! - Beneficial effects

Boswellia serrata extract - Large and clinically important treatment effect

Curcumin - specifically Theracumin - Large with clinical meaningful effect (so many formulations, at least they tested this one)

Pycnogenol - Large with clinical meaningful effect

Sometimes these are sold together(especially curcumin/boswellia) , youtheory has combo with type 2 collagen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements