Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:36 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times

Advertisements

I admit i'm usually leary about a supplement or herb supposedly stopping fat gain as we know it's diet and exercise however i thought this study (USDA Human Nutrition Research Center) was interesting about how the spice tumeric (curcumin) shuts down the genes that allow blood vessels to form new fat cells. The amount given in the study was 500 mg of Curcumin daily.

For those interested here's the study.

Turmeric Extract Suppresses Fat Tissue Growth In Rodent Models - Science Daily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 08:00 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I admit i'm usually leary about a supplement or herb supposedly stopping fat gain as we know it's diet and exercise however i thought this study (USDA Human Nutrition Research Center) was interesting about how the spice tumeric (curcumin) shuts down the genes that allow blood vessels to form new fat cells. The amount given in the study was 500 mg of Curcumin daily.

I'm usually very leary, too, and this does appear to be worth checking out. When I eat Indian food, Nepalese food with the tumeric-like spices, I notice that my digestion seems to work very well, and I feel in top form. There must be something to that...probably also affects insulin levels. If insulin is affected, it could significantly affect weight gain...especially since as we age, we become insulin resistant, and the weight starts to move upward.

Last edited by 'M'; 05-18-2009 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: to add a point

Old 05-18-2009, 09:49 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
I hear good things about it for weight loss and for brain health. It's hard to actually eat that much really, because it's extremely bitter in high doses. I like curry though, so I think it's more incentive to eat a ton!

Old 05-18-2009, 10:27 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,494,404 times
Quote:

It is a good study. Now they have to study the effects in humans. I really don't understand why they use extremely high amounts. 500 mg for us is just a normal size pill but for a rat??? That is like eating 2 full meals of pure turmeric.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:38 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Honestly no one is going to still eat fast food all day and take tumeric and lose weight but again i thought the science behind it in effecting certain genes for fat production was interesting to post about.

It's also a natural anti inflammatory along with ginger, bromelain, ginseng and the omega-3 fatty acids for those who have some inflammatory issues might want to add it to and good diet and exercise routine.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Honestly no one is going to still eat fast food all day and take tumeric and lose weight but again i thought the science behind it in effecting certain genes for fat production was interesting to post about.

It's also a natural anti inflammatory along with ginger, bromelain, ginseng and the omega-3 fatty acids for those who have some inflammatory issues might want to add it to and good diet and exercise routine.
It is extremely interesting, I hope they do a study on humans(at normal human levels.).

Old 05-19-2009, 01:32 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Turmeric capsules are available at Walmart.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Turmeric capsules are available at Walmart.
Yeah, you would have to take a couple of bottles to have the same amount the mouse had.
And I wouldn't suggest eating that much of any product(until they actually make a human trial)

Old 05-19-2009, 04:44 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,033 times
Tumeric is great stuff. I don't take it as a supplement but I love curry!

Old 05-19-2009, 07:38 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,662 times
It just makes good sense to eat a wide variety of foods and that includes herbs and spices. It seems to me that those who like all the typical American bland foods are the ones with all the health problems. The Wonder Bread and McDonalds crowd for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements