Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 PM

294 posts, read 743,527 times

Advertisements

How much snow is on the ground now? I might be in the area over New Years weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 09:46 PM

357 posts, read 968,156 times
NBC News did a little piece on the current Syracuse snow fall.
msnbc.com Video Player

Old 12-09-2010, 08:28 AM

186 posts, read 634,657 times
That guy acts like you guys are snowed in? The photos posted don't seem like that? Sounds like he maybe over reacting to the situation?

You guys are living there so what's the truth? Have the schools been closed? How long if at all were you snowed in and not able to get to work?

Old 12-09-2010, 09:06 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magicians Eye View Post
That guy acts like you guys are snowed in? The photos posted don't seem like that? Sounds like he maybe over reacting to the situation?

You guys are living there so what's the truth? Have the schools been closed? How long if at all were you snowed in and not able to get to work?
Totally over-reacting.

First of all- lake effect is never brutal. You can literally blow away lake-effect drifts from your doorway. This storm wasn't especially awful... like two feet of heavy snow in a day would be. We had about 1-1.5 feet of lake-effect a day which, while that may sound impressive and oppressive, just means shoveling every day instead of every other or every few days, like we normally do. Again, fluffy snow = just pushing the snow to the sides, not back-breaking lift-turn-dump work. Saturday's total snowfall was a little over an inch. Sunday morning is when the snow really started gearing up, which I noticed [the snow finally sticking] while at the regional flea market. It snowed heavily that day and night but Monday school was on-schedule. Tuesday brought a one-hour delay, because it had continued through morning and, of course, the plows can't swipe away the snow as quickly with morning traffic slowing them down. Yesterday (Wednesday) brought a two-hour delay but my daughter had a nasty cough so I planned on keeping her home anyway... I found out later that they did eventually close school. I think that was premature, as the snow became particularly heavy right at crunch time but then stopped entirely during mid-morning.

Those are the best snow days though... enough snow to close school but the roads are perfectly clear so everyone can get out and do something fun.

We definitely weren't snowed in at any point, as you can see from my FB pictures. Friends and family took advantage of the snow days to go Christmas shopping and sledding.

The only time my husband can't get to work is in REAL freezing rain... when it's so cold, just after a thaw, that the salt stops working and you can't even walk out the door without falling. Nothing to do with snow.

The Blizzard of '66 is, I think, what we feel is a paralyzing storm... even if we weren't alive to see it, we've seen pictures. That kind of snow ISN'T lake effect but coming off the Atlantic and HEAVY. You have shovel many feet of snow away in several-inch layers because it's too heavy to lift any more than that. That doesn't happen often. And that Blizzard, in addition to being heavy, came in two separate, four-day spurts, a day apart. 4 feet fell in 4 days... then a day's break... then another 4 feet in 4 days. Oswego had twice as much. There are some neat youtube videos of that.

Last edited by proulxfamily; 12-09-2010 at 09:25 AM..

Old 12-09-2010, 09:27 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterhead View Post
How much snow is on the ground now? I might be in the area over New Years weekend.
That's too far away to say if we'll have a lot of snow by then or not. We may get more storms or it may melt... it's not uncommon for a two-foot snowfall to be almost entirely gone, a week later.

I think the only impressive part of this storm was the fact that it came so early... we usually don't get snow like this until after the New Year.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:54 PM

845 posts, read 1,687,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magicians Eye View Post

Over-reaction and sensationalism. Frankly I'm shocked. The media? Over dramatizing something? ;-)

Most schools were closed for a couple of days but businesses were open, roads were clear, and everyone I know went to work just like they always do. yes - I was getting up an hour early in the morning to run the snowblower and stop by to shovel out my parents car, but it has not been dramatic.

The difference between this and some of the previous "blizzards" is this time we did nto have high winds and the heaviest snowfall has been at night. That means less drifting, better driving visibility, and the road crews get a lot cleaned up at night while traffic is minimal and most of us are asleep. This has been the tamest major snowfall event in my memory (major meaning 30" or more in a few days.)

Old 12-09-2010, 07:31 PM

715 posts, read 2,508,821 times

Old 12-22-2010, 01:33 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,616 times
The New York Times had an excellent article on Syracuse's record December snowfall and how well the city has managed keep roads clean and business and schools operating.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/23/ny...1&ref=nyregion

Old 12-22-2010, 06:54 PM

357 posts, read 968,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
The New York Times had an excellent article on Syracuse's record December snowfall and how well the city has managed keep roads clean and business and schools operating.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/23/ny...1&ref=nyregion
I liked this article much better than the news story by ABC.

Old 11-10-2022, 05:38 AM

3,512 posts, read 9,423,627 times
Jordan, Elbridge and Marcellus all have the least average annual snowfall within Onondaga County according to my research. Jordan only averages 72 inches of snow a year, that is less than most places around Syracuse, Buffalo or Rochester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area