Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 06:51 AM

655 posts, read 2,330,510 times

Advertisements

Hi NorthStarDelight,

I thought of you the other day as I drove around the Cicero (suburb) area of Syracuse keeping abreast of what's going-on in the various Suburbs.

I drove through a newer development of mostly one-floor ranch style homes with 2 stall garages and full basements in the price range of $225,000 to $275,000, on streets off South Bay Road. (One or two builders offer new-build two story 3/4 bedroom homes in Cicero in the price range of $150's to $170's to $200's+). In the ranch development, I saw a new home just starting to be built; men constructing the wood-stud walls--no roof yet. I said to myself, if NSD was here there might be an opportunity for him to work for that builder on some of the interior parts of that house! In that same development I saw that there are just 3 home building land lots available to be bought and built on before the development is completely full.

On the opposite side of South Bay Road there is a larger development of one-floor ranch and two-story homes in the price range of $250,000 up to $390,000 for the largest homes; just one home building lot still available in that development. A lot of activity going-on in this larger development and I thought of you/your work possibilities again. There were a couple general contractors working on the interiors (taking materials inside the homes) of a couple homes. There was an underground lawn watering system company installing a system at another home. Swimming pools being installed at two other homes. Three landscaping contractors were planting shrubs, trees, & flowering plants and spreading new mulch in the planting areas at other homes; good time of year to get that done before the higher temperatures of mid-summer. A masonary company was installing a brick or concrete paver sidewalk/entranceway at one home. And a couple lawn-mowing (winter snow plowing) service companies were mowing and trimming lawns. WORKMEN/PEOPLE BEING EMPLOYED. Not everyone in that neighborhood employs service companies to do their outdoor work; many of the residents there do their own landscaping and lawn-mowing--I've seen them doing their own outdoor work especially on the weekends.

See a map>> http://www.mapblast.com/

There are other similar home developments in Cicero on streets off Lakeshore Road, off Thompson Road, off Whiting Road, off Rt. 31 on the west-edge of Cicero, and off some other streets. Similar service work and home building is being done at those locations too.

What I have noticed in the past couple years is that there are a lot more lawn-mowing service people mowing lawns for people around the Suburbs. Sometimes it's a Company with big pickup trucks (emblazoned with their Name/address/phone number) and large tow-behind trailers that transport the mowing equipment, weed-eaters/trimmers, and clippings-vacuums/blowers. Other times the service appears to be a small 2 person operation with a modest pick-up truck and small trailer (no signage); a husband & wife or a father & son or one man & hired helper or 2 young men making money for college. I think there's been a lot of these small 2 person operations started by new entrepreneurs. Anyway, people are finding work and offering their services especially in the newer Suburbs where the residents seem to have the money to spend for this convenience. Cicero is currently the fastest growing suburb in the county but I don't feel that its out of control. Liverpool/Clay formerly was the fastest growing area and has a large suburban population.

I don't know if any of the above types of work fall in your work-experience NSD, but I just wanted to mention the types of work I saw being done on that one day.

I also wanted to mention some things that Metro Syracuse DOES NOT HAVE. Syracuse is probably 99% tornado free. Also 99.5% hurricane free. Syracuse does not experience wild forest fires that burn down homes/neighborhoods like they have in California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, & Florida and have most every year. We don't suffer from a lack of water supply such as states like Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, & California; the Weather Channel showed the current drought in regions of some of the southern states. Syracuse has not had any damaging earthquakes in my whole life. Syracuse does not have the terrible floods that the states along the Mississippi & Ohio & Missouri & other Rivers seem to experience EVERY year. Syracuse does not have such long-lasting, oppressive, unbearable ~HOT~ temperatures of 95 to over 100++ degrees for weeks at a time like some states in the sunbelt states. Yes, our temperatures can go that high in mid-summer BUT they do not last as long a period as in the southern areas.

Well, I just wanted to say hello to you again. If you do end up moving to Metro Syracuse, I hope you won't be disappointed. Other people who have relocated here are quite happy with their move. Be sure to do adequate, intensive research about Central NY before you make your move. I hope you have a great time and learn a lot about Central NY during your July trip here. I will be posting some info on C-D that you should read BEFORE you start your TRIP north in July; watch for my post.

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 06-10-2011 at 07:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 07:39 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,766,051 times
Grndman-

I believe NorthStarDelight has already visited Central New York, on a fairly recent trip last year.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:26 AM

127 posts, read 272,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Considering I get up close to 5 am rather than going to bed at that time, I'll pass up on your life in Manhattan thank you very much. I don't need to hang out with "young business professionals" either, not my kind of folk...hehe. Besides, I dunno how anyone can afford to live there unless they have a very high-paying job or just happen to be independently wealthy, or totally poor and living on the dole - is there even a middle class in NYC? I think not.

Anyhow, I do appreciate you moving away from Syracuse, just that much more room for me for when I move up there.
People live with roomates and live in smaller apartments. I think it's a small price to pay to be young and to live with so much diversity, opportunity and just so many things to do. I'm not sure how this many young people can afford it but I'm telling you they do because I see thousands of different young people on a daily basis.

And don't worry, there's plenty of room for you in Syracuse. I wish you the best.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:45 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,871,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imj7 View Post
Hey! I saw my name mentioned. I haven't been on here at all lately, since, well, I now live in Manhattan where I actually see people everyday, attractive ones at that. It's so nice being around other young business professionals at all times. At peak hours, there's about 20 people walking around downtown Syracuse. I now see more than that walking home from the bars at 5 am. And the best part is a dd is no longer needed.

I do not miss Syracuse one bit and hope to never have to return.
You made an interesting comment Imj...

"At peak hours, there's about 20 people walking around downtown Syracuse. I now see more than that walking home from the bars at 5 am."

You compare downtown Syracuse to Manhattan at 5 am in the morning "walking home from the bars", Really? Did you conduct this "empirical analysis" on a weekday or weekend morning? Respectfully, if you are coming out of a bar at 5 am on a weekday morning, then you have some issues that need to be resolved...

I lived in NYC during the 1990's and I can tell you that there are hardly any people roaming the streets of Manhattan at 5 am on a weekday or weekend morning. Many are just rising on a weekday and those on the weekend are heading or at home. In fact, I would head to Bally's on 6th Avenue, between 19th and 20th Streets at 5 am prior to work in Manhattan. I lived in Brooklyn and would take the L train into the city. The streets were very peaceful, bought my coffee on 14th Street.

Comparing Syracuse to NYC is comparing apples to oranges due to its shear size and scope (which I admit I really like as well, I find it fascinating). I would not be so dismissive if you were comparing Syracuse to Providence, Columbus or Portland, Oregon. I see Syracuse transitioning into a large Ithaca (many similiarities with that city) or a smaller Boston (also similiarities). Syracuse is developing a vibrant downtown that includes Armory, Clinton, and Hanover Squares. I had a friend visit me in Syraucse who lives in NYC, he loved Armory Square which reminded hime of Chelsea and Soho. I admire Syracuse which is striving for the type of amenities found in cities like New York, Boston, DC and other areas. It is making a name for itself, esp. adapting to a green-based high-tech economy.

Regarding "young professionals", there was an event at the Liverpool Library last year touting changes taking place in CNY, there were many young people who left the area and now returned. Some were people who work for high-tech industries, like Sensis, Welch Allyn, SRC, etc. Others were artists who want to create a artist class in Syracuse. I believe there is a art district developing near the Near West Side, I think it is called SALT. Others on this forum may know more about this than I do, but here is their web-site.

Syracuse Art, Life & Tech SALT District « Near Westside Initiative

There are also neighborhoods like Westcott, Hawley-Green, and Eastwood that are revitalizing back into the urban communities they always were. Also, downtown and Franklin Square are revitalizing with 99% occupancy rates and more units coming on line.

Also, keep in mind the 2010 census has shown the Syracuse metro area has grown by approx. 12,000 people, approx. 9,000 in Onondaga County alone. On average, that is approximately 1,000 people per year moving to the msa. Sure, it could be more, but it has reversed (in fact, it has erased) the declines of the 1990's. A lot of that has to do with Syracuse adapting to changes in the economy and quality of life.

If you want to move to NYC, great!...but you should encourage those moving to Syracuse like NorthStarDelight. Who knows, one day you may return and there may be a lot more people living in the area.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 06-10-2011 at 08:56 AM..

Old 06-10-2011, 08:50 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,527,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Grndman-

I believe NorthStarDelight has already visited Central New York, on a fairly recent trip last year.
Yes, I did, but my visit was tragically short, at 2 days in Syracuse. This time I'll be staying a whole week - got my room booked.

Thanks again for your words of encouragement, grndman - I'll be keeping an eye out for your post as well. Yeah, I've been subscribed to Indeed job alerts for carpenters, and I've getting new listings just about every day - a far cry from depression city that we have around here for sure! I am getting *some* work down here, as well as valuable, practical experience - but it's not enough to sustain me for the long term, and there's no telling when the housing depression will end here...just way too many people chasing too few jobs in this industry.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:33 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,277,881 times
I am no longer in the trades. I sold out and went factory. That feast of famine lifestyle is not for me.

But all my friends are still in the trades. Selling out to the box stores is a fact of life. Maybe everywhere though. My best friend handles installs to a big box in his field between Utica and Syracuse.. Its been a lean few years for him and all the others.

You can see just driving by tradesman are hurting. Rusty pickups are a give away. Trucks start rusting in CNY right off the dealer lot and with your name on the door a rusty truck means you suck. But with this awful economy it just means your hurting.

Winter is tough in NY. Plan on no income all Winter unless your in a union. In a union you can drink beer all Winter. So all Winter your broke butt stares out the window at snow then just when it gets nice and the lake is calling you will be back to work doing 80 hour weeks to get the landlord and bank off your back.

IIRC they tell me the biggest reason for no home improvement work in Winter is being broke from Christmas so you maybe used to it. But also I think nobody wants a crew tracking snow and slush in and out of the house.

Getting back into carpentry is actually in the top 3 of reasons I want out of NY after taxes and gun control. Even at a lower rate it would be better to have year around work.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:32 PM

57 posts, read 147,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I

You can see just driving by tradesman are hurting. Rusty pickups are a give away. Trucks start rusting in CNY right off the dealer lot and with your name on the door a rusty truck means you suck. But with this awful economy it just means your hurting.

Not to give you a hard time but you may want to look at different trucks/cars if yours are rusting that quickly. I sold a 7 year old Dodge car three years ago and it didn't have one bit of rust on it. The car I am driving (3 years old) also doesn't have any rust nor is there any signs of rust starting anytime soon. I always thought that rusting cars were a thing of the past when cars would start rusting within one or two winters.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:15 PM

7 years old is "old" to you??

I park with my two buddies at work everyday and all three of our pickups are the same year.

Both of there's are more or less gone. The salt just eats stuff so fast here.

My truck still looks ok. My secret?? 10 years ago I bought in Florida and drove it North. Last van I had was a 1997 Dodge that I traded in 2006. The body was just gone on that sucker. And I washed that car. My truck has never been washed. Maybe Toyota uses better metal.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:33 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,766,051 times
The only cars I had that rusted were pre-'98 $hitbuckets. lol. My first car- a 1989 Pontiac Safari wagon, powder blue with HAWT faux-wood panels - was only rusted in places where I hit deer though... iow, in MANY places. That thing was a beast. My next crap car was a '90 Sundance, which I had for exactly 6 months, when a deer hit the SIDE of my car, smashed over to the hood and crumpled it like a tin can.

Newer cars? No problem.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:53 PM

My truck is a 1997.

We can't all be high rollers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area