Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 07:00 AM

11 posts, read 103,389 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Syracuse, NY from Virginia in about a week, and I wanted to start getting ready for the winters by trying to find some appropriate clothing. I know the coats and jackets I have now are not going to cut it in the NY winters. I've heard that there is a lot more layering but that the coats are actually more lightweight with particular kinds of material. I'm clueless. Does anyone have any recommendations on what kind of coat I need to buy in order not to freeze my rear end off this winter!? Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 07:23 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,072 times
Any good ski coat will be fine - I plow in -10deg in a LL Bean coat, works fine - If your working outside then look at cabelas or carhartt clothing tough warm stuff. Get something lighter for fall and spring when its not so cold or layer up like you say. Good socks gloves hats Boots etc help you to stay warm... Remote start for your car cant hurt lol - warm it up before you face the tundra. gl

Old 07-18-2007, 08:08 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,265,553 times
It will be better to buy your gear after you arrive in Syracuse. Places with different weather don't always carry what you need here. Your Va stuff should be sufficient for spring and fall. LL Bean wear is very popular in all seasons: same climate, same lifestyle.

There's also a Burlington Coat Factory in Syracuse stocked to the gills. Don't forget the hat and gloves and warm socks, and I wouldn't suggest boots with anything more than a one inch heel and not ankle length ones.

PS- You'll want to put together an emergency kit in your car that includes an extra set of clothes, a AAA card, some health bars, jumper cables, shovel, an ice scraper, and I find a full sized broom handy to push snow off the car.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:11 AM

302 posts, read 1,049,412 times
Don't forget to buy your long-johns!!

Old 07-18-2007, 12:22 PM

17 posts, read 78,464 times
You will want to buy more than one kind of winter jacket because not all winter days are the same. Some are cold and crisp, others are damp and wet, and others are... everything in between, changing every 10 minutes! Now multiply the number of coats you've picked out by 2... because you'll need dressy as well as casual (for job interviews and the like)... You will soon acquire a nice coat collection without even realizing it.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:53 PM

11 posts, read 103,389 times
Default Excellent Advice!!

Thanks for the awesome advice! I'm getting nervous just thinking about the snow. I'll definitely wait until I get up there before buying anything. I have a lot of coats already, but I fear they aren't going to be warm enough.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:06 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,422,875 times
LOL. This thread is funny. "syracusebound" is not moving to the North Pole. Syracuse has the same winter temperatures as Chicago, Detroit, or Toronto. The only difference is that Syracuse receives twice as much snow as Toronto.

And it's not like there aren't other cold cities with as much snow as Syracuse. Quebec City averages more snow each year than Syracuse and is much colder too. Montreal averages 90 inches of snow each year, only about 20 inches less than Syracuse. Montreal's winter temperatures are colder than Syracuse too. Ottawa doesn't get as much snow but it does get quite a bit colder than Syracuse.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 12-26-2007 at 05:10 PM..

Old 07-18-2007, 04:40 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,072 times
I joke to my wife that it's getting time to put the plow on - yeah upstate is not like Alaska although I feel like it is sometimes lol. I hate the cold but I hate the heat even more (florida?) - you can always find a way to get warm but staying cool is a lot harder...

Last edited by bellafinzi; 12-26-2007 at 05:10 PM..

Old 07-18-2007, 07:22 PM

961 posts, read 2,502,359 times
Yeah, I'm aware of the weather round' here. If heading north on rt81, the snow amount tends to increase(and frequency) just south of Cortland. There have been times where it's snowing w/6-8" on the ground in Virgil, and northward towards Cortland...back in the southern tier...just 25 miles south...nothing.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:34 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
There's a saying in Rochester, that I suppose could apply to Syracuse as well....if you don't like the weahter in Rochester (or again, in this case, Syracuse)...wait 15 minutes, and it will change! This is true...almost literaly. A couple weeks ago when I was up there looking at houses (put an offer in on a great house in Greece, should hear back any day now) on the 5th of July, it was 65 degrees, complete overcast, and raining....it looked like April. We went into Greece-Ridge mall, got a cup of coffee in a small coffee shop(it felt "cold" for July at least), and came back out into the main area of the mall which has a glass ceiling, and it was COMPLETELY clear out, sun shining brightly with not a cloud in site. We went outside and realized it was considerably warmer, turned the car on and the temperature gage said it was 80! A 15 degree difference in temperature, and a complete change in the sky....within 45 minutes of being in the mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area