Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:38 AM

127 posts, read 271,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladibug1026 View Post
Imj7...Long Islander to Long Islander I have to tell you you're a bit negative, but while I appreciate your honest feedback as someone coming from where I am. Perhaps you should give the area more of a chance. What casued you to move to the area in the first place? I'll be honest with you in saying that young, especially single, people (which I believe you said you were) are leaving here in packs. As much as I LOVE the beaches and convenience to the city it's just sooooo expensive. Not to mention the job market is totally saturated. Most recent college grads are taking jobs in the 20,000 range, which you probably know can't even get you a 1 br. apt in Wyandanch. You could get a second job, but basically then your working too much to enjoy where you live anyway.....that's ultimately why we are considering the move- so we can actually have time with our family.
I moved up here in July 2009. I graduated college in May 2009 and Syracuse was the first place I received a job offe from. I accepted it right away because we all know what the job market looked like then.

The worst part about Syracuse is the weather. It is absolutely terrible. Seeing clouds everday is quite depressing.

There's also a lot more things to do on Long Island as towns are all right next to each other and NYC is right there. Upstate you have to travel on highways to get from town to town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 10:04 AM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imj7 View Post
I moved up here in July 2009. I graduated college in May 2009 and Syracuse was the first place I received a job offe from. I accepted it right away because we all know what the job market looked like then.

The worst part about Syracuse is the weather. It is absolutely terrible. Seeing clouds everday is quite depressing.

There's also a lot more things to do on Long Island as towns are all right next to each other and NYC is right there. Upstate you have to travel on highways to get from town to town.
Your last statement is incorrect. You can take the less travelled roads to get to places. For instance, if you are in say Fayetteville, you can take Route 5(East Genesee St.) into Syracuse, to shopping there or to Erie Boulevard in DeWitt or take nearby roads to Green Lakes. You just have to know where you are going and where to go.

You won't be stuck indoors all winter, as life goes on.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:04 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
That is NOT how the job market is, up here. If your degree is for a dying industry and one has little inspiration to forge ahead, I might agree. Waitresses and janitors and entry-level mall retail people make $20K/year. Hell- they make MORE than that. Education is tough to STAY in now, as it is everywhere. A friend teaches 6th grade Social Studies in Charlotte, NC- she gets fired when school ends and re-hired when it begins. Every.single.year. I have a friend here who lives with her parents, rent-free, and teaches K during weekdays, waitresses a few nights a week and is taking grad classes. She doesn't HAVE to work that hard... she wants to pay.off.those.loans.ASAP! lol

The only real issue I've seen, personally, is employers being more strict with their employees' goals and reigning in other expenditures (as, likely, they should have been all along) and with media/advertisers/broadcasting and government REALLY paring their employees down to who they need... and again, I'm not sure that it's a bad thing. I don't know why they wouldn't keep that from happening in the first place- isn't part of running a business keeping expenses down?

My dad went from welding to nursing because the job market here demanded it, 7 years ago. With enough motivation, there are MANY opportunities here. He has a full time job, several per diem and more requests coming in all the time. My friends in broadcasting have had to *actually work*, instead of letting low-wage employees do the gruntwork because they're just milling around. There are Now Hiring signs all over. If you can't make it here, it's because of pride or debt or laziness or a raging case of entitlement... and likely, not having a job here is some combination of the above. I have several friends in low-level broadcasting who are sitting back on unemployment. They're not looking... why should they, financially? They make as much on it, for 99 weeks, as they would taking a job that's not in their field.

My husband could quit right now and we'd be just fine, without public assistance of any kind, by me getting a job as a secretary or assistant... or 1.5 min.-type wage jobs. I went to buy a pair of running shoes at Fleet Feet this morning and saw no fewer than a dozen "Help Wanted/Now Hiring signs" from driving on the street. If you want a job, we have them. If you're too proud to TAKE those jobs, that's not something to place blame ANYWHERE else for... if you need a job, ride around in your car. If you don't have a car, pay $1.25 and ride the bus and pull the cord at Thompson Road on Erie Blvd. A good walk will yield you a job. Or as many as your schedule allows. And that's with no education but a GED or HS diploma.

And, of course, no one should move ANYWHERE without a plan set up for income.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
That is NOT how the job market is, up here. If your degree is for a dying industry and one has little inspiration to forge ahead, I might agree. Waitresses and janitors and entry-level mall retail people make $20K/year. Hell- they make MORE than that. Education is tough to STAY in now, as it is everywhere. A friend teaches 6th grade Social Studies in Charlotte, NC- she gets fired when school ends and re-hired when it begins. Every.single.year. I have a friend here who lives with her parents, rent-free, and teaches K during weekdays, waitresses a few nights a week and is taking grad classes. She doesn't HAVE to work that hard... she wants to pay.off.those.loans.ASAP! lol

The only real issue I've seen, personally, is employers being more strict with their employees' goals and reigning in other expenditures (as, likely, they should have been all along) and with media/advertisers/broadcasting and government REALLY paring their employees down to who they need... and again, I'm not sure that it's a bad thing. I don't know why they wouldn't keep that from happening in the first place- isn't part of running a business keeping expenses down?

My dad went from welding to nursing because the job market here demanded it, 7 years ago. With enough motivation, there are MANY opportunities here. He has a full time job, several per diem and more requests coming in all the time. My friends in broadcasting have had to *actually work*, instead of letting low-wage employees do the gruntwork because they're just milling around. There are Now Hiring signs all over. If you can't make it here, it's because of pride or debt or laziness or a raging case of entitlement... and likely, not having a job here is some combination of the above. I have several friends in low-level broadcasting who are sitting back on unemployment. They're not looking... why should they, financially? They make as much on it, for 99 weeks, as they would taking a job that's not in their field.

My husband could quit right now and we'd be just fine, without public assistance of any kind, by me getting a job as a secretary or assistant... or 1.5 min.-type wage jobs. I went to buy a pair of running shoes at Fleet Feet this morning and saw no fewer than a dozen "Help Wanted/Now Hiring signs" from driving on the street. If you want a job, we have them. If you're too proud to TAKE those jobs, that's not something to place blame ANYWHERE else for... if you need a job, ride around in your car. If you don't have a car, pay $1.25 and ride the bus and pull the cord at Thompson Road on Erie Blvd. A good walk will yield you a job. Or as many as your schedule allows. And that's with no education but a GED or HS diploma.

And, of course, no one should move ANYWHERE without a plan set up for income.

Toejam specifically mentioned recent college grads. Recent college grads, especially with a legit major, usually aren't looking for jobs that are advertised on store windows to make $8 an hour.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Toejam specifically mentioned recent college grads. Recent college grads, especially with a legit major, usually aren't looking for jobs that are advertised on store windows to make $8 an hour.
but I agree when proulx said that certain industries/majors, etc. determines that. You have jobs in health care, higher education and some engineering/tech jobs available in the area. This is a good website for showing what is available: Central New York Jobs

Old 03-22-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Even those with a "legit major" - what does that even mean... are there "unlegit majors?" - need to take their fields into account in a changing economy. I have degrees in C.I.S. and Business Administration - there are many more lesser, post-secondary-educated (or more knowledgeable still, with a different major) people who would get the jobs I went to college to be eligible for, who are FAR more qualified and deserving of such jobs than I am. Do I blame MY lack of knowledge/experience-for-such-demand on Syracuse? No. I've found that I don't know as much as I need to know for those jobs and look elsewhere. Period.

One cannot blame his bad luck in choosing the wrong education for this rapidly changing economy on [deservedly] poor demand for general skills in a certain area. It is NO ONE's fault if $xx,xxx+ were spent on a degree that could have just as efficiently been paid for by having a penchant for such things for years, in one's youth. No one DESERVES x-income for having a piece of paper that says you studied for a long time and know a fair amount of information.

This isn't the same economy as it was 10-20 years ago. Companies are, more and more frequently, putting more value on actual knowledge - as.they.should - than degrees of education. I'm very grateful that I didn't go into debt for my education, as it definitely would have made me more bitter about reality. I can do the work I am able to do- and no more. I very much appreciate the honesty of this market, as awful as it has been to some...

The reality that $80,000 in a private school, general (mostly) education, won't give you any more credence that actually POSSESSING that knowledge through trial and error/a serious "hobby"... imo, is long, LONG overdue.

I have a friend who has a Master's in Library Sciences... essentially, a librarian. What does she DO for the income to support a $250K mortgage? She's a coder. A SERIOUS coder... a hobby her parents indulged, because it was an interest of hers, back when she was reading the classics - in multiple languages, no less - for school itself.

A piece of paper that says you're qualified for a position doesn't make you the best person for that position. Knowledge is power now, and rightfully so!

Old 03-22-2011, 01:39 PM

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but all Toejam was saying is that recent college grads are leaving the area because they can't find work. They are moving to areas with more opportunity. Places like NYC.

For example, someone with an engineering degree usually won't be applying for a McDonalds job. Someone with a human develpoment major probably will be in this economy.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but all Toejam was saying is that recent college grads are leaving the area because they can't find work. They are moving to areas with more opportunity. Places like NYC.

For example, someone with an engineering degree usually won't be applying for a McDonalds job. Someone with a human develpoment major probably will be in this economy.
I wasn't responding to ToeJam, I was responding to *you.*

Someone with an engineering job is likely going to find a job wherever it's most fulfilling... in Syracuse or not. Someone who's a human development major is pretty tightly weaving themselves into a relatively low-ish wage, social worker job... as it has always been... or setting themselves up for going into some sort of psych grad. or post-doc. degree/license. ("probably will be [....?] in this economy.") Still, lack of jobs in one's degree isn't the fault of the locale, it's simply a responsbility for oneself to find a job most suited to that degree or level of knowledge/experience. If the job isn't here, find where there IS a job for your specific degree. No hard feelings. Just don't blame the region for not having demand for that specific education.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:59 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
That is NOT how the job market is, up here.
As someone who is actually employed in an industry that is thriving here, I can tell you that you are wrong. We hire on a regular basis. Some of these positions are open to people without a college degree. We have people with a Masters degree who apply for these jobs because they are not having any luck finding higher paying jobs. If you had to choose between someone with a degree and someone with a high school diploma, you are going to hire the person with the degree. So now you have a highly educated person being under paid and a high school educated person pushed out of what used to be their version of a high paying job. These graduates usually have their expectations a little high because they have been told that by paying a bunch of money for an education will get you ahead, but these days all it gets you is a foot in the door.

I understand what you are saying about people working for what they have and not expecting a high paying job straight out of school. I was lucky enough to use on the job training out of high school with great networking skills to get where I am today. Those opportunities are few and far between these days. The school of life will teach you more than any classroom, but that is a completely different thread in itself.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
As someone who is actually employed in an industry that is thriving here, I can tell you that you are wrong. We hire on a regular basis. Some of these positions are open to people without a college degree. We have people with a Masters degree who apply for these jobs because they are not having any luck finding higher paying jobs. If you had to choose between someone with a degree and someone with a high school diploma, you are going to hire the person with the degree. So now you have a highly educated person being under paid and a high school educated person pushed out of what used to be their version of a high paying job. These graduates usually have their expectations a little high because they have been told that by paying a bunch of money for an education will get you ahead, but these days all it gets you is a foot in the door.

I understand what you are saying about people working for what they have and not expecting a high paying job straight out of school. I was lucky enough to use on the job training out of high school with great networking skills to get where I am today. Those opportunities are few and far between these days. The school of life will teach you more than any classroom, but that is a completely different thread in itself.
Your first part is the case in many, if not most places in the country, nowadays. That is unfortunate, but that isn't exclusive to Syracuse.

Yes, some people have moved to the South or to some of the bigger cities in the Northeast and other regions for jobs, but there has also been some people that have moved into the area due to getting a job as well. I'd say it is more of a thing where one's skillset/education plays a bigger part today due to the overall economy.

It is also good that the area has added more jobs than people realize and people will search and/or educate/recreate themselves accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area