Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 04:25 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
As someone who is actually employed in an industry that is thriving here, I can tell you that you are wrong. We hire on a regular basis. Some of these positions are open to people without a college degree. We have people with a Masters degree who apply for these jobs because they are not having any luck finding higher paying jobs. If you had to choose between someone with a degree and someone with a high school diploma, you are going to hire the person with the degree. So now you have a highly educated person being under paid and a high school educated person pushed out of what used to be their version of a high paying job. These graduates usually have their expectations a little high because they have been told that by paying a bunch of money for an education will get you ahead, but these days all it gets you is a foot in the door.

I understand what you are saying about people working for what they have and not expecting a high paying job straight out of school. I was lucky enough to use on the job training out of high school with great networking skills to get where I am today. Those opportunities are few and far between these days. The school of life will teach you more than any classroom, but that is a completely different thread in itself.
I think we really do agree on this topic... it's just the dramatic statement of "there are no jobs up here!!!11eleventy!!!" that hits my hot button. lol - those single friends sitting back on unemployment, living with roommates as they always have so expenses are low and having no other revolving bills... they DO rub me the wrong way. They say the same thing- that there are no jobs.

Not true. They're just not the jobs they want. If there was suddenly no umemployment available through some governement budget crisis, there'd be enough jobs for everyone to get by... and just get by enough to inspire them to work HARDER or start a business of their own by fulfilling some new need of the general public. But they don't have to, now. Underemployed or unemployed, there are still jobs. I'd LOVE to work in the field I was educated in and make $60K/year... but my cousins, fresh out of high school, know about as much through semi-casual interactions with their peers and meeting the needs of their households than I learned in college. That's just how this market is. As an alternative, I'm building a business of my own. My paper isn't worth more than, as you said, a foot in the door... and with a family, I want to make more than that foot, especially with scores of much more knowledgeable people around me. (I'm only 27... and already, their passive knowledge of computers far surpasses mine. lol - it makes me feel old!) So I have found a niche need and hope to fulfill it- that's the reality of this market. I don't blame Syracuse for not delivering me with the job I expected to match my education, you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 06:17 AM

93,306 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I think we really do agree on this topic... it's just the dramatic statement of "there are no jobs up here!!!11eleventy!!!" that hits my hot button. lol - those single friends sitting back on unemployment, living with roommates as they always have so expenses are low and having no other revolving bills... they DO rub me the wrong way. They say the same thing- that there are no jobs.

Not true. They're just not the jobs they want. If there was suddenly no umemployment available through some governement budget crisis, there'd be enough jobs for everyone to get by... and just get by enough to inspire them to work HARDER or start a business of their own by fulfilling some new need of the general public. But they don't have to, now. Underemployed or unemployed, there are still jobs. I'd LOVE to work in the field I was educated in and make $60K/year... but my cousins, fresh out of high school, know about as much through semi-casual interactions with their peers and meeting the needs of their households than I learned in college. That's just how this market is. As an alternative, I'm building a business of my own. My paper isn't worth more than, as you said, a foot in the door... and with a family, I want to make more than that foot, especially with scores of much more knowledgeable people around me. (I'm only 27... and already, their passive knowledge of computers far surpasses mine. lol - it makes me feel old!) So I have found a niche need and hope to fulfill it- that's the reality of this market. I don't blame Syracuse for not delivering me with the job I expected to match my education, you know?
To be honest, this is probably the best time to start your own business and I think more and more people are starting to think that way. I think this present time shows people that we can't necessarily rely on some other company to provide a job for us and people are starting to use their skills, interests, passion and education to do their own thing. I really applaud people that do that, because it could allow people to have more freedom and control over their income and happiness in regards to the job market.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:06 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
It's about this time of year (or maybe earlier, like Feb) until April or May where I am glad Im gone from upstate NY....

Haul out the snowblower: Winter storm chugs toward Syracuse area | syracuse.com

Old 03-23-2011, 07:14 AM

127 posts, read 271,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
It's about this time of year (or maybe earlier, like Feb) until April or May where I am glad Im gone from upstate NY....

And it's not going to get out of the 30s for like a week.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:

The expected snowfall is 1-4inches, and 4 inches only predicted in the "higher elevations" (ie, Pompey/LaFayette/Tully.) The Finger Lakes-Rochester area is expected to get 3-7 inches.

I say 3 inches here, tops. lol - not even enough to warrant shoveling. It's the kind of snowfall that will be compacted to maybe a quarter-inch under your shoes. The kind of snowfall you can be rid of by throwing out a cup of salt on the walkway. haha

Old 03-23-2011, 08:15 AM

93,306 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
The expected snowfall is 1-4inches, and 4 inches only predicted in the "higher elevations" (ie, Pompey/LaFayette/Tully.) The Finger Lakes-Rochester area is expected to get 3-7 inches.

I say 3 inches here, tops. lol - not even enough to warrant shoveling. It's the kind of snowfall that will be compacted to maybe a quarter-inch under your shoes. The kind of snowfall you can be rid of by throwing out a cup of salt on the walkway. haha
Basically and that's if it even happens to that degree.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:03 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,579,437 times
Well, it snowed during evening rush hour and there were accidents galore. Welcome spring!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:41 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Well, it snowed during evening rush hour and there were accidents galore. Welcome spring!
I'm sure it wasn't that bad. Just ask these guys

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Basically and that's if it even happens to that degree.
Seriously, given what you guys had in december, and the crap you dealt with today and will likely deal with through april or may, I still stick with my opinion that the only people who tolerate the weather patterns of upstate NY, and CNY in particular, are those that grew up there and don't know any better.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:14 PM

No- I just think it's a stretch to expect people who've received 180 inches of snow this winter to be anything more than "meh. They're just snowflakes" over a scant 1-2 inches. I waited forever to scrape the snow off and salt... and probably looked pretty ridiculous, scraping half an inch of snow with an ergonomic shovel. lol

Old 03-24-2011, 04:26 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
Quote:

Seriously, given what you guys had in december, and the crap you dealt with today and will likely deal with through april or may, I still stick with my opinion that the only people who tolerate the weather patterns of upstate NY, and CNY in particular, are those that grew up there and don't know any better.
I grew up in south Jersey, where if it snowed, it would be gone in a few days, and 3 inches closed the whole state down. I lived outside Boston for a few years and only experienced winter there twice. After that, I went to college in Florida and then moved on to Hawaii. I had only been to the Syracuse area ONCE in my life and it was when I was a toddler. I'm handling the winter JUST FINE! I know you said it's your opinion, but I'm proof that it's "incorrect."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area