Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 08:00 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,456 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 08:03 AM

Old 04-09-2011, 01:12 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,264 times
You should come back on May 21at for the Downtown Living Tour. You would be surprised to see some of the condos downtown. I wouldn't want to live there, but there are some nice fancy condos in the area. Downtown Syracuse

Old 04-10-2011, 12:45 AM

93,319 posts, read 123,941,088 times
No Hanover Square, Clinton Square, Washington Station, Columbus Circle or City Hall? I think the building where the old Nu Look Fashions is being turned into condos.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:56 AM

IIRC the first picture above is City Hall. At anyrate I was there and spent some time talking with the security person. Very nice person.

Hanover I do remember the name. Over by the State Tower right?? Nice little part. I liked that area.

Washington Station doesn't ring any bells but if it was within the circle of Downtown I at least saw it.

Columbus Circle also I don't recall but same thing.

If they are fixing up the Nu Fashion building god bless them cause its a wreck. On the other side of the street is an old bank that I liked.

Is this the view from Hanover Square??

This area was outside the Downtown area but VERY nice.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:50 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,264 times
The security guard (Warren?) is very nice and helpful. He should be one of the city greeters. The building you asked if it was the view from Hanover Square is called The City Hall Commons. They call the big City Hall "The Mothership"

The bank that is now condos that you liked is on the Downtown Living Tour. It is beautiful inside even if I wish they would have left a little more of the bank's original details in it. House of the Week: Syracuse Trust Condominiums at 325 S. Salina St. | syracuse.com

Old 04-10-2011, 07:26 AM

93,319 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Hanover Square is the area between the State Tower Building(Warren St.) and Salina Street. Clinton Square is on the other side of Salina, where the fountain and soldiers and sailors mounument is located. That nice area is Franklin Square. Columbus Circle is by the courthouse and the Civic Center.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:30 AM

Who else wonders what happened to both Sean® and ToeJam??

Wanna hear a funny story?? Work was super slow today and I was telling a co=worker how good the food was so me and him left and I am going back to Downtown in a couple hours.

Is that mans name Warren?? You never know how you will make a mark on someones life so always be good. That man really had a huge positive impact on how my day went.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:16 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Who else wonders what happened to both Sean® and ToeJam??

Wanna hear a funny story?? Work was super slow today and I was telling a co=worker how good the food was so me and him left and I am going back to Downtown in a couple hours.

Is that mans name Warren?? You never know how you will make a mark on someones life so always be good. That man really had a huge positive impact on how my day went.
lol - I'm so glad you had a good enough time to go back, Sean!

It sounds odd but if you want to have some silly fun, go into the MoST and go through the play structure they have in the center. My husband and I bring the kids there regularly... for them, yeahhhhh. It's REALLY fun to play inside three stories of slides, hidden play areas and obstacle courses. :P Bonus: The Sound Garden is pretty much across the street from the entrance.

And don't forget to check out Columbus Circle (county courthouse, Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, the old Carnegie Library, Civic Center) this time! It's two blocks south of City Hall. (Walk toward the AXA towers aka MONY buildings with time/temp display.) If you end up looking for something else to do, visit the Everson, which is on the other side of the Civic Center. It's surprisingly large and with enough variety to be really interesting, imo. The Erie Canal Museum (full boat inside the glass walls) is on the north side of City Hall... also an interesting visit. The Onondaga Historical Society's museum is great too (located on the walk north, from Columbus Circle>City Hall)... but perhaps not as interesting to non-history-buffs. lol

Bull and Bear Pub in Hanover "Square" (walk from City Hall/Canal Museum toward National Grid/The Atrium) and Wise Guys are also good eats/atmosphere.

Then, of course, there's the Rosamond Gifford Zoo (aka Burnet Zoo)... a visit would be *beautiful*, on a day like today. It's just west of downtown... there should be signs to direct you. WARNING: This route is maybe a mile in length but you'll see the yuck of the west side, in nearly all of its "glory." Still, a worthwhile visit.

eta: I wish the city still ran the trolley cars. The last time I remember them running was when I was in maybe 1st or 2nd grades... 10cents for me. When my mom worked at the Civic Center and I went to school at Cathedral, she'd sometimes take me out for lunch and we'd ride the trolley car. Beautiful brass and rich, glossy wood. I wish they had it so we could take our children... :/

Last edited by proulxfamily; 04-10-2011 at 09:27 AM..

Old 04-10-2011, 01:10 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
Here it is...

Trolleys, called "electric railroads" at the time, dominated the street, although some horse-drawn buggies were visible. As many as 24 separate trolley lines ran through Syracuse and its surrounding area by 1928. The equivalent of today's Common Center was the Electric Railroad Terminal on the north side of Clinton Square. The final trolley in Syracuse ran either in 1939 or 1941, according to various sources.
From 1987 to 1994, two faux "trolleys" ran through downtown day and night. Unlike the trolleys that were part of Syracuse's once extensive public transit system (before car culture took over), these trolleys didn't require any tracks. Conventional pneumatic tires and wheels ran beneath retro wood paneling. Unfortunately, nobody wanted to ride around downtown even though the fare was a mere 10¢. An empty trolley driving around downtown was a common sight, although on rare occasions, one or two passengers could be seen. Even the trolley drivers admitted very few people ever boarded the trolleys. This was another money-losing scheme Syracuse tried. The trolleys cost $175,000 to purchase and tens of thousands of dollars more to fuel and maintain. Finally no longer willing to bear the costs, the city sold them for $25,400 in 1995, a fraction of their original cost.

I think that, if they had those trolleys now, they could easily make their money back... more people *living* downtown, who really yearn for this kind of lifestyle. Can you imagine what a draw it would be?! Regular stops from the central points downtown- let's say the Genesee Grande, the old Marx, Columbus Circle, Armory Square and Little Italy - to the farmers' and flea markets, cultural events at the museums and SU, and daily or twice-weekly stops at the Co-op? I really think people would eat.it.up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area