Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 04:08 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,603,905 times

Advertisements

That isn't good, especially since they just had the CuseMob over at the Armory location yesterday.
Update: 'Cuse Mob' descends on Om Boys Juice and Smoothie Bar | syracuse.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 05:17 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,498,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
That isn't good, especially since they just had the CuseMob over at the Armory location yesterday.
Update: 'Cuse Mob' descends on Om Boys Juice and Smoothie Bar | syracuse.com
I think the Armory Square location got more popular than the Liverpool location and they really weren't prepared. This is what they posted on FB -

After much consideration, we have decided to close the Liverpool location and focus 100% on our new location in Armory Square. Thanks to everyone who has supported us over the past year and helped Om Boys become a success. Please come visit us in Armory Square!

Old 09-15-2012, 08:43 AM

The Finger Lakes Cork and Fork Festival is in its third year. I'm heading down there in a few, looked too good to pass up and the ticket was only $20!

Old 09-15-2012, 08:49 AM

92,013 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
The Finger Lakes Cork and Fork Festival is in its third year. I'm heading down there in a few, looked too good to pass up and the ticket was only $20!
Have a safe trip and plenty of fun.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Have a safe trip and plenty of fun.
It was a great festival! They had 2 big barns filled with vendors. My only complaint is that ALL of the food was sample size - you couldn't buy a full meal of something. After drinking a bunch of wine, we really needed something bigger to eat, so we left the festival around 4 to go to a restaurant for some food. Other than that one issue, it was an awesome festival and I definitely plan to go next year! My favorite food of the day was a butternut squash soup from Red Newt Cellars

Old 09-17-2012, 06:51 PM

Enchanted Beaver Lake » Onondaga County Parks

Old 09-20-2012, 06:06 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,574 times
Quote:
Yes!
To add to that, there are many policies placed to protect the little guy, but the only result is a loophole for the rich to get richer. Yes, children are getting fed, but the corporations that provide these "free" lunches are getting richer. They don't care how many kids they can feed, they care about making a profit. they are in the back pocket of politicians who help make these decisions.
If you haven't already, you should watch "Supersize Me". The problem is so much bigger than providing lunch for school children and cheap meals for the poor.
Very good points. I have heard of the "Supersize Me" documentary and will have to watch it when I get a chance. I always find it entertaining that a lot of these corporations and even small businesses that pubicly complain about "big government," "crony capitalism," "unfair mandates," and "harsh regulatory burdens," will bid for and in many cases profit heavily from local, state, and federal government contracts.

Unrelated to food service, but very relevant to this topic is a certified disabled veteran-owned business based in Syracuse. Systems Made Simple has raked in tens of millions of dollars in government contracts. In March is was announced that the IT services company, which maintains a very spartan headquarters in Salina with only a handful of employees received a $715 million, five year contract from the U.S Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Despite the obsene amount of the contract, the company plans on hiring just 60 people. None of these employees will be based in CNY.
Salina company lands $715 million contract with Veterans Affairs | syracuse.com

It's no surprise that the company received a very high ranking on Inc Magazine's 5000 list of fastest growing businesses. Over the past three years, the company has seen a 368% increase in its revenue.
Systems Made Simple - Syracuse, NY - The Inc.5000

Two of the company's top three executives have recently relocated from modest homes in borderline white-trash subdivisions in the Northern Suburbs to 3,500 SF properties in Northern Virginia where the company appears to concentrating its growth. All of the recently hired positions are based in either in VA, Austin, Tampa or Utah. Establishing a DC area presence is a must for just about any government contractor, particuarly in the defense industry. It's unfortunate, however that the company has decided to retreat from CNY. Wages for professional jobs are much lower as are housing costs. I'm assuming they have come to the conclusion that talent attraction and retention was limiting growth. Based on the bloated amount of the contract, it seems more than plausable they simply wanted to move to a bigger metro area and enjoy the "high life."

Systems Made Simple - Syracuse, NY - The Inc.5000

Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 PM

288 posts, read 507,737 times
I actually grew up with the owners son who went to my high school.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:36 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,603,905 times
Becoming a registered small business with special designation for minorities, women, the disabled and veterans is big business in New York. (Before I get yelled at, yes, I am sure this goes on other places, but I only have experience with this in New York).
There are quotas for each of these groups when there is state / government money and grants involved. Most of them are a complete facade. You can transfer a company onto someone who fits one of these groups and you are handed contracts. Many times, these groups are just handed money to allow work to be done in their name. The idea was to spread the wealth and work to minority groups and all you end up with is a loophole where people can collect a fee so others can meet their quota for state / government work.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:48 AM

92,013 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Becoming a registered small business with special designation for minorities, women, the disabled and veterans is big business in New York. (Before I get yelled at, yes, I am sure this goes on other places, but I only have experience with this in New York).
There are quotas for each of these groups when there is state / government money and grants involved. Most of them are a complete facade. You can transfer a company onto someone who fits one of these groups and you are handed contracts. Many times, these groups are just handed money to allow work to be done in their name. The idea was to spread the wealth and work to minority groups and all you end up with is a loophole where people can collect a fee so others can meet their quota for state / government work.
I totally know what you are talking about. I know people with businesses that put it in their wife's name and in turn it is viewed as a "minority" business. A lot of loopholes can go through women and many people do not think about it in regards to things that are geared towards "minority" representation. When people say "minority", it really means historically disenfranchised groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area