Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 02:04 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I drove out to Trader Joes this weekend. Here is a random list of observations.....

• They don’t sell the Trader Joe’s Two Buck Chuck or any of the cheap wines in NY state.

• I try not to eat processed food as much as I used to when I thought Trader Joes was “healthier food”, so there were even less items for me.

• They did have some good prices on staple items.

• It is crazy how much Wegmans has tried to copy Trader Joes, even down to product fonts.

• Many items are just relabeled with a Trader Joes name. A mustard made in France with the same exact jar, one bought at Tops and one at Trader Joes. TJ’s was cheaper.

• There are a few specialty items I would go to Trader Joes for, but we already have most of what they sell between Wegmans and NatureTyme, and Green Planet in Fairmount.
Nice post, I agree. I visited the TJ's with family down in Westfield, NJ and was not impressed for the reasons you gave. It might make a nice downtown grocer store though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 04:45 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,456 times
With one hour to go to spring, 30 winters of driving experiance, four wheel drive and four brand new high end tires I got got this morning.

Hands off the wheel feet off the pedal I was just along for the ride.

Jesus I hate winter.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:53 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,264 times
We are celebrating the first day of Spring by building a snow man.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:28 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
FAA closing towers at Ithaca, Rome airports because of federal spending cuts | syracuse.com

Old 03-22-2013, 07:38 PM

93,294 posts, read 123,941,088 times
I hope that safety will not be compromised and that there are alternative safety measures in place.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I hope that safety will not be compromised and that there are alternative safety measures in place.
I am a pilot and also work on both of these airports. My biggest concern is with Ithaca because they have commercial service. I think the closure of towers is a horrible idea because ATC is already stressed - now with getting rid of towers, the workload goes to other centers so now they will be even more stressed. What happened before is the flights were handled by other centers but then handed off to Ithaca ATC once they were in range. Ithaca ATC would get them to the airport and to land. Now, there's no hand off. There is an uncontrolled frequency which ALL aircraft call into and they have to figure out who is going where amongst themselves. Say there's an incoming flight and a little guy in the way - ATC could reroute the little guy out of the way and have the commercial service aircraft land (it's harder to reroute larger aircraft). Without ATC, the larger aircraft is SOL if there's someone else ahead of him. I think it will only be a matter of time before we see an accident directly related to no ATC (not necessarily at Ithaca, but any of the commercial service or increased operations airports).

Old 03-23-2013, 06:27 AM

93,294 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I am a pilot and also work on both of these airports. My biggest concern is with Ithaca because they have commercial service. I think the closure of towers is a horrible idea because ATC is already stressed - now with getting rid of towers, the workload goes to other centers so now they will be even more stressed. What happened before is the flights were handled by other centers but then handed off to Ithaca ATC once they were in range. Ithaca ATC would get them to the airport and to land. Now, there's no hand off. There is an uncontrolled frequency which ALL aircraft call into and they have to figure out who is going where amongst themselves. Say there's an incoming flight and a little guy in the way - ATC could reroute the little guy out of the way and have the commercial service aircraft land (it's harder to reroute larger aircraft). Without ATC, the larger aircraft is SOL if there's someone else ahead of him. I think it will only be a matter of time before we see an accident directly related to no ATC (not necessarily at Ithaca, but any of the commercial service or increased operations airports).
That's what I'm afraid of too. I hope isn't the case, but an ATC is a very important position at an airport. Is it true that it is one of the most stressful jobs to do, in general?

Old 03-23-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That's what I'm afraid of too. I hope isn't the case, but an ATC is a very important position at an airport. Is it true that it is one of the most stressful jobs to do, in general?
Yep, it is consistently rated one of the most stressful jobs. I took an ATC course when I was in college to see if it was something I wanted to pursue. It was fun, but absolutely no way I could do it for a career.

There are lots of airports that have commercial service and no ATC - but the thing is, pilots that fly those routes are used to it. Dropping ATC from an airport that has had it forever is a different story.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:36 AM

54 posts, read 62,659 times
As far as CNY is concerned, I don't think the tower closures will have that big of an impact on safety. As has been mentioned, operating into a non-towered airport is the norm at the vast majority of airports in this country. Ithaca and Griffiss just don't have the volume of traffic to justify a full time tower. (Fun fact: Before the Federal Reserve stopped flying checks a few years ago, Griffiss had more traffic between the hours of midnight and 6am than it did the other 18 hours of the day-- and the tower was closed during those hours).

If you look at the list of closures, there are some places where this will have a definite negative impact on safety. There are a number of airports in Florida I frequent that are chaotic enough with the mix of jet traffic and weekend warriors and an operating control tower let alone without one. I dread my next trip down to Naples or Boca Raton once those airports are shut down. There are several airports on that list with a large volume of flight training traffic too. Oddly enough places like Muncie and Anderson, IN are keeping their towers open.

Word is a number of cities are going to try to come up with the money locally in order to fund their towers. I haven't heard any mention of Ithaca or Griffiss in that discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area