Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 07:53 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,986,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
All this news of places closing reminded me that I drove by El Canelo and saw that they closed too. They did pretty good business on Erie, but after they moved to Bridge St, it always seemed dead. It could have been the new location though.

There are a couple locations where restaurants go to die. In Fairmount there is a spot next to Carol's Polar Parlor where everything that goes in there dies no matter how good business is. There has to be an owner issue because it has been at least 4 different things since I have been here.
The slot they moved to on Bridge hasn't done well with anything that's tried there since Carmella's closed... maybe 10 years ago or more. It's spent a lot of that time vacant, but everything that's tried has failed pretty quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 07:56 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,735,436 times
Carmella's was my favorite place to go, as a kid. There and Galveston's. lol

I was never sure that Canelo was open, even when it first did. The landscaping made it look abandoned and it always looked dark inside (tinted windows?) so I never stopped.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:57 AM

92,013 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Florida investment firm offers to buy Anaren

Old 04-18-2013, 12:56 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,847,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't consider that good news, esp. by a Florida investment firm. I can assure you they will liquidate the company or move operations out of CNY over time.

I still don't like the fact that Sensis as bought out by SAAB, though a good fit from what I hear.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
I don't consider that good news, esp. by a Florida investment firm. I can assure you they will liquidate the company or move operations out of CNY over time.

I still don't like the fact that Sensis as bought out by SAAB, though a good fit from what I hear.
I was thinking the same thing, but I think that if they are thinking of moving, it won't go down without a fight. Hopefully, if they do buy Anaren, it will go the way of SAAB/Sensis.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:44 AM

Five companies receive $50,000 state grants to commercialize 'green' tech | syracuse.com

Old 04-19-2013, 10:06 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post

Unfortunately, I think your prediction will happen if a private equity firm purchases Anaren. Vintage Capital Management of Orlando bought a Rochester-based company that is a competitor to Anaren. The company's porfolio includes several companies that are in the same industry niche as Anaren - space technology and defense. I can definitely see a scenario where this PE firm purchases Anaren, guts their executive staff and brain trust of engineers/R&D staff and consolidates operations in Pittsford and in the south. Having two separate operations within 90 miles of each other and paying oppressive New York payroll, property, workers compensation, and utility taxes will not be considered viable in the eyes of PE firms whose main objective is to cut, cut, and cut until they can generate a large enough return on their investments and liquidate what remains of the company or sell it again. I assume they are also attracted to Anaren's intellectual property as well.

Company
http://vintagecapitalmanagement.com/portfolio.html

If this purchase goes through (as it appears it will eventually), there will only be one pubicly traded company based in Syracuse that is not a financial institution. Based on its population, Syracuse has one of the smallest concentrations of public companies

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 04-19-2013 at 10:33 AM..

Old 04-19-2013, 10:27 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,574 times

At least this time the recipients were local and for once, only one Ithaca-based company was given a grant. In past years, most of the commercialization grants ended up going to companies in places like Delmar, Cheektowaga, Fairport, Vestal and Webster with less than one-half or one-third going to firms in Onondaga, Madison, Oswego, Cayuga, and Cortland counties. I have noticed that nearly every year Cicero-based Air Innovations receives a grant yet their employment never increases. They must have some friends in high places.

These grants wil allegedly "create or retain" 100 jobs. This term has now become almost a cliche used by politicians since the 2008 recession. For all we know, this grant may create 1 new job and retain 99, but we'll never know the distribution of new and retained jobs.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Unfortunately, I think your prediction will happen if a private equity firm purchases Anaren. Vintage Capital Management of Orlando bought a Rochester-based company that is a competitor to Anaren. The company's porfolio includes several companies that are in the same industry niche as Anaren - space technology and defense. I can definitely see a scenario where this PE firm purchases Anaren, guts their executive staff and brain trust of engineers/R&D staff and consolidates operations in Pittsford and in the south. Having two separate operations within 90 miles of each other and paying oppressive New York payroll, property, workers compensation, and utility taxes will not be considered viable in the eyes of PE firms whose main objective is to cut, cut, and cut until they can generate a large enough return on their investments and liquidate what remains of the company or sell it again. I assume they are also attracted to Anaren's intellectual property as well.

Company
http://vintagecapitalmanagement.com/portfolio.html

If this purchase goes through (as it appears it will eventually), there will only be one pubicly traded company based in Syracuse that is not a financial institution. Based on its population, Syracuse has one of the smallest concentrations of public companies
Excellent observation and information, it is sad to read though. We always boast of growing small to mid-sized (Syracuse-based) companies that would lead the "new" local economy, i.e. Sensis, Anaren, Welch-Allyn, etc., but they are being bought up by out of state (foreign in the case of Sensis) investors. It makes me question the progress that Syracuse is making, an economy based solely on meds and eds can only go so far! To be fair, you make a good point about NYS's "oppressive" payroll, property, workers compensation and utility costs that is victimizing Syracuse's efforts and is out of its control.

On the other hand, I hold out hope when I read articles like the one originally posted by ckhthankgod that list locally based companies:

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...incart_m-rpt-2

Last edited by urbanplanner; 04-19-2013 at 01:07 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 01:06 PM

'Adult World' gets rave reviews at Tribeca premiere; new video clip shows Syracuse University | syracuse.com

"Adult World" made its world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York City, and the early buzz is overwhelmingly positive. Shot in Syracuse last winter, "Adult World" centers on Amy (Emma Roberts), a recent college graduate who dreams of being a writer. Mounting debt forces her to take a job at an adult bookstore, and she seeks advice from punk poet Rat Billings (John Cusack).

I thought the clips were good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area