Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 01:43 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,268,817 times

Advertisements

Cumo was in Herkimer handing out gubmint money today.

I gotta get in some pajamas, fire up a joint and sit on the porch waiting for my gubmint check.

Jesus I'll tell ya, pride is long gone here. If we could get some money to keep rebuilding I'd take it and be grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 06:32 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,052 times
Anaren, Inc. (NASDAQ: ANEN) announced today that it has received orders of more than $9 million for components and assemblies for a ground-based radar application.

Deliveries are expected to be completed over a 12-month period, beginning in the first three months of 2014, the DeWitt–based company said in a news release. Anaren didn’t name the customer placing the orders.

John Hoeschele, marketing communications and government relations manager at Anaren, says the orders are a “follow on” to an existing contract.*

But is that really good news if it's some form of government entity[ies] placing these orders?

"Here - we'll give you $9M so we can spy on people on the ground - maybe even you - and the local government can get whatever piddly taxes are due after including the exemptions, easing agreements, and loopholes."

Oh, goody! <sarcasm>

Old 08-30-2013, 06:47 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
But is that really good news if it's some form of government entity[ies] placing these orders?

"Here - we'll give you $9M so we can spy on people on the ground - maybe even you - and the local government can get whatever piddly taxes are due after including the exemptions, easing agreements, and loopholes."

Oh, goody! <sarcasm>
You picked up all that just from that article? Was there more to the story on Fox News or something?

Old 08-30-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
You picked up all that just from that article? Was there more to the story on Fox News or something?
Of COURSE! I believe everything I'm told if it makes 'merica more 'merican.

Everything in America is fine. Carry on... there's no such thing as a military industrial complex.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:24 AM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Of COURSE! I believe everything I'm told if it makes 'merica more 'merican.

Everything in America is fine. Carry on... there's no such thing as a military industrial complex.
Well, we have to protect our interests dome how. Seriously though, a lot of areas would be hurting without the military industry, whether people like it or not.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:05 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,765 times
Quote:
Anaren, Inc. (NASDAQ: ANEN) announced today that it has received orders of more than $9 million for components and assemblies for a ground-based radar application.

Deliveries are expected to be completed over a 12-month period, beginning in the first three months of 2014, the DeWitt–based company said in a news release. Anaren didn’t name the customer placing the orders.

John Hoeschele, marketing communications and government relations manager at Anaren, says the orders are a “follow on” to an existing contract.*

Oh, goody! <sarcasm>
I get your point, but would you rather Anaren is bought out by a non-local entity that moves production to other locations? Whether it is government or not, that production is staying in CNY. Other communities would love to have it.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Well, we have to protect our interests dome how. Seriously though, a lot of areas would be hurting without the military industry, whether people like it or not.
It's set up to hurt... it's like Stockholm syndrome. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Be grateful that the hand is there at all.

The military "industry" is a *war*-mongering industry. It's set up to profit on the lives and economies of others. Destroy and rebuild. Destroy and rebuild. Destr...

The right people profit. The wrong people die in droves. And the perpetrators in the field think they're fighting for the safety/freedom of their own people, to make the risk to their own lives worthwhile... but they're doing it on foreign soil? heh. Their "leaders" conjured it in the first place. It's a hard pill to swallow, to realize you've been fighting for the benefit of the war industry and not freedom or safety. It's harder still when you realize that you've profited from it yourself... given up free will to kill, for pay and benefits.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:16 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Stephanie Miner: It Hasn&rsquo;t Been Easy Being Mayor

The Syracuse New Times interviewed Mayor Stephanie Miner. She describes the city's economy as "doing very well" and jobs are being created. When asked about companies leaving the city, she says "no companies are leaving, just the opposite." I would love to drink the Koolaid or try the drugs Ms. Miner is snorting. Has there been progress in some areas? Absolutely, but speaking in absolutes by stating there are "no companies" leaving and job growth is robust is nothing short of being intellectually dishonest. She is a smart woman, which makes many of her statements downright insulting. The only net new job growth has been in low wage retail positions at outlet stores at the former Carousel Center and "green jobs" cleaning environmental friendly toilets at St. Joe's. These are not the kinds of opportunities that will retain middle class families and college graduates. I often hear Miner reference Syracuse as a "21st century city." I was under the impression that a "21st century city" retained its best and brightest, offered high paying jobs, supported cutting-edge tech companies with growth aspirations, employed top notch government professionals instead of unqualified hacks, and believed in first impressions like well maintained highways.

As some others have suggested, I suspect Miner will run for congress in 2016 or get a job working for the DNC in Washington.
I did not read the interview or watch the debates, but if I can interject a couple things. Mayor Miner is a smart politician and I think she is doing a pretty good job considering the challenges she faces, but regarding companies leaving or not-leaving the city. Mayor Miner is a "progressive" in the political sense of the term, her idea of a "private company" also includes not-for-profits, hospitals, universities, wcny etc., not necessarily Apple, Google, Intel, Blue Cross, etc. If she can get the inner-harbor development under way by the next election (no coincidence that OCC is the anchor) creating a new urban neighborhood, she will be easily re-elected. To be fair she has stopped the bleeding of private companies leaving the city under the administration of Mayor Matt "Dumbskull" who could not get anything off the ground including the airport authority, the transit hub, the loss of Excellus to Dewitt, etc. Miner, to her credit, has lured "private" companies like law firms, architecture, engineering and others to locate in the city center. I was impressed by the expedience she exhibited with the northside Tops (after Wegmans departure) and the one in the Valley.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 08-30-2013 at 11:24 AM..

Old 08-30-2013, 11:18 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,618,743 times
Quote:
It's set up to hurt... it's like Stockholm syndrome. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Be grateful that the hand is there at all.

The military "industry" is a *war*-mongering industry. It's set up to profit on the lives and economies of others. Destroy and rebuild. Destroy and rebuild. Destr...

The right people profit. The wrong people die in droves. And the perpetrators in the field think they're fighting for the safety/freedom of their own people, to make the risk to their own lives worthwhile... but they're doing it on foreign soil? heh. Their "leaders" conjured it in the first place. It's a hard pill to swallow, to realize you've been fighting for the benefit of the war industry and not freedom or safety. It's harder still when you realize that you've profited from it yourself... given up free will to kill, for pay and benefits.
You sound like Ursula Rozum now. LOL

Old 08-30-2013, 11:36 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,618,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
I did not read the interview or watch the debates, but if I can interject a couple things. Mayor Miner is a smart politician and I think she is doing a pretty good job considering the challenges she faces, but regarding companies leaving or not-leaving the city. Mayor Miner is a "progressive" in the political sense of the term, her idea of a "private company" also includes not-for-profits, hospitals, universities, wcny etc., not necessarily Apple, Google, Intel, Blue Cross, etc. If she can get the inner-harbor development under way by the next election (no coincidence that OCC is the anchor) creating a new urban neighborhood, she will be easily re-elected. To be fair she has stopped the bleeding of private companies leaving the city under the administration of Mayor Matt "Dumbskull" who could not get anything off the ground including the airport authority, the transit hub, the loss of Excellus to Dewitt, etc. Miner, to her credit, has lured "private" companies like law firms, architecture, engineering and others to locate in the city center. I was impressed by the expedience she exhibited with the northside Tops (after Wegmans departure) and the one in the Valley.

The Obrien & Gere engineering firm relocation was announced before she ran for office. An architecture firm from Ithaca with a grand total of 4 employees established an office in Syracuse. Another one, a Rochester-based firm relocated a couple of employees from its previous office in Camillus. The addition of 8 new private sector jobs to downtown is a joke. Further, the CNA deal which shifts 120 jobs from Salina to the AXA Towers is only a five year lease. With so much instability in the insurance industry, I would hardly classify their long-term presence downtown and in Syracuse as certain. Recently, Travelers announced it would cut 2/3 of its downtown workforce, or more than 180 jobs when it consolidates those functions at an existing office in Glens Falls. Others have said the Syracuse office is unlikely to stay open. AXA has also cut some higher paying jobs.

Meanwhile, expanding firms based in or near downtown have opted to relocate to the suburbs. Empower Federal Credit relocated their HQ and at least 150 jobs from the old Learbury Building to the former B.G Suzle HQ in North Syracuse. ShoreGroup, a New York City-based IT firm announced it would add at least 150 jobs but would be relocating from Franklin Square to Salina. I would hardly characterize these announcements has stopping the bleeding of companies out of the city.

In fairness, some of these decisions are out of her control, however she never really demonstrated a commitment to growing businesses. Her former occupation as a labor lawyer may have something to do with it. She is much better than Driscoll, but she has been unable to keep a lid on escalating crime, quality of life offenses and cannot even manage to work with the state and county to mow 5 foot tall grass on highway shoulders and medians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area