Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 07:06 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It appears that flooding shut down Manlius Center Road as well: Flooding forces Manlius road to close | syracuse.com
I get so annoyed about town lines being so spread out... I had no idea where that was until I looked at a map. It's essentially Minoa-East Syracuse (with district mapping to match), which is *technically* in the Town of Manlius but no regular conversation would refer to that part of town as Manlius.

It's like how the Dewitt Wegman's has a Fayetteville address and phone number but in everyday experience, that's all still Dewitt. And there are some places, deep into Pompey, that have Cazenovia addresses. It's weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 07:14 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,268,817 times
A member here showed me a flood area right in Syracuse. Near his house but not his actual house. I used GPS to get there so don't ask me where it was. Pretty high dollar area that's for sure.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I get so annoyed about town lines being so spread out... I had no idea where that was until I looked at a map. It's essentially Minoa-East Syracuse (with district mapping to match), which is *technically* in the Town of Manlius but no regular conversation would refer to that part of town as Manlius.

It's like how the Dewitt Wegman's has a Fayetteville address and phone number but in everyday experience, that's all still Dewitt. And there are some places, deep into Pompey, that have Cazenovia addresses. It's weird.
Were I'm from was all Herkimer county but the barn had a Clayville Oneida county address and my place next door was in Frankfort with a ilion phone number and all was Mt Markham schools.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:48 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
But then you don't live in the Syracuse MSA like we do either.

My battle with the snow banks didn't go exactly as planed. Never got as warm as they were talking. But a lot of snow is gone so it's still a victory of sorts. Next couple of days should help a lot. At least most of the snow is outta the roads finally so cars aren't parked two feet from the curbs.

The piles of snow are gonna be a different battle. Unless April is crazy warm they will make it into May easy. But I gotta pick my battles.

And as bad as I want the snow gone yes we did have some flooding. Just basements and trailer parks and not mine thank god.
Technically, I'm in the ROC MSA which isn't exactly known for 3 inches of snow a winter. Then there's the north of the Thruway you get dumped on and south of the Thruway you get a flake or two. I see that quite often except out near Fenner. I swear that place gets snow 9 months a year.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:

Thank the USPS for the addresses. We have that in Henrietta. Everything is a Rochester address. So confusing when you're using a GPS. Some will call it Henrietta and some will call it Rochester. It's so NOT Rochester!

I can't imagine Pompey having a post office branch. Plenty of small towns don't. If the USPS keeps going the way they are, they're will be even fewer post offices in the small towns.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:41 AM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:

At first, I was wondering if they meant the village or the town. Once I saw that it said Route 290/Manlius Center Rd, I knew where it was.

I never understood why the DeWitt Wegman's was considered Fayetteville, until I realized that they were going by the zip code. It is the same thing with Fairmount and Westvale(13219 says Syracuse) and Onondaga Hill(13215 also says Syracuse). So, it seems like the zip code is what people go by.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:28 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Thank the USPS for the addresses. We have that in Henrietta. Everything is a Rochester address. So confusing when you're using a GPS. Some will call it Henrietta and some will call it Rochester. It's so NOT Rochester!

I can't imagine Pompey having a post office branch. Plenty of small towns don't. If the USPS keeps going the way they are, they're will be even fewer post offices in the small towns.
Pompey and Fabius EACH have one... or maybe they closed the Fabius one? I think it might have. My parents are in Pompey but their address is Fabius, even though the town line is almost 2 miles away. It was a pain to drive past the Pompey PO, and then your own house, to go to Fabius to pick up a package.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Pompey and Fabius EACH have one... or maybe they closed the Fabius one? I think it might have. My parents are in Pompey but their address is Fabius, even though the town line is almost 2 miles away. It was a pain to drive past the Pompey PO, and then your own house, to go to Fabius to pick up a package.
Just because there's a post office doesn't mean it delivers mail. There are many small rural ones that don't. The USPS has lots of problems these days unfortunately.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:24 AM

In Liverpool they are having a snow melting contest.

I've had one myself but I'm the only player. Based on the lack of warm days in the 10 factored with chance that the second half of April may warm up I put it at the first Monday of the second week in May.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:54 AM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Joanie Mahoney says she can help Stephanie Miner, 'the mayor with an inability to solve the issues' | syracuse.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area