Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 09:10 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toddster View Post
The property taxes here are as much as 4 times what they are down there. I'm sure snow removal eats up plenty of money, but nowhere near enough to justify even taxes rates that are 2X. The property taxes here are as much as 4 times what they are down there.

I'm wondering what I can get here for 3 or 4 tax dollars that I can't get down there for 1 tax dollar.
At the end of the day, regardless of where it's going or how schools are structured, you're writing a large check for your tax bill. People in other states are writing much smaller checks, and in many cases, living well in a nice area. What brought you to NY from KY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 09:18 PM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Here is some info on Warren County KY and Onondaga County: Onondaga County, NY

Warren County, KY

Old 04-06-2014, 09:27 PM

23 posts, read 21,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Like I mentioned, the school district set up is different and there are more layers of government. Keep in mind that what one pays in taxes can vary greatly even within a municipality and by individual. So, it is a more complex system as well.
Nashville, TN has a population of over 600,000. The economy is on FIRE there and the population is experiencing strong growth. Nashville's property taxes? A $700,000 home will pay less than $8000 in annual property taxes.

Compare your local property taxes to what you'd pay in Nashville: Nashville > Trustee > Calculate Taxes

The folks in Onondaga County are paying for overhead and inefficiency. The only reason I'm not making an even bigger deal about this is because my stay here is temporary.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
At the end of the day, regardless of where it's going or how schools are structured, you're writing a large check for your tax bill. People in other states are writing much smaller checks, and in many cases, living well in a nice area. What brought you to NY from KY?
Work, and it's soon taking me back to KY.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Nashville, TN has a population of over 600,000. The economy is on FIRE there and the population is experiencing strong growth. Nashville's property taxes? A $700,000 home will pay less than $8000 in annual property taxes.

Compare your local property taxes to what you'd pay in Nashville: Nashville > Trustee > Calculate Taxes

The folks in Onondaga County are paying for overhead and inefficiency. The only reason I'm not making an even bigger deal about this is because my stay here is temporary.
Not everyone pays 8000 in taxes around here though. I'm not close to that in property taxes. So, I wouldn't make that seem like the norm. That is why I posted the website that I posted. Yes, we get the tax thing and the layers of government have something to do with it, but overall, the cost of living is around the national average around here. Home prices around here are lower than many areas and is what helps keep the COL the way it is, as housing makes up around 30% of costs.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-06-2014 at 09:43 PM..

Old 04-06-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not everyone pays 8000 in taxes around here though. I'm not close to that in property taxes. So, I wouldn't make that seem like the norm.
I know it's not, but I'm using it for the purposes of comparison. I can't fathom why someone's property taxes would be twice what mine are elsewhere, let alone as much as 4X.

Quote:
That is why I posted the website that I posted. Yes, we get the tax thing and the layers of government have something to do with it, but overall, the cost of living is around the national average around here. Home prices around here are lower than many areas and is what helps keep the COL the way it is, as housing makes up around 30% of costs.
Speaking from personal experience there's not much difference between the costs of living. I'm not arguing that. The price differences between most goods and services that I use are negligible. Even the state income taxes, at least to the point that they apply to me, are at parity.

It's disheartening that an otherwise attractive cost of living is offset by not being provided with the services commensurate with property taxes.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:36 AM

Quote:
I know it's not, but I'm using it for the purposes of comparison. I can't fathom why someone's property taxes would be twice what mine are elsewhere, let alone as much as 4X.

Speaking from personal experience there's not much difference between the costs of living. I'm not arguing that. The price differences between most goods and services that I use are negligible. Even the state income taxes, at least to the point that they apply to me, are at parity.

It's disheartening that an otherwise attractive cost of living is offset by not being provided with the services commensurate with property taxes.
Believe me, it is something that is a warning to everyone. That is another reason why it is good to know information about tax exemptions and differences such as village services or the differences between different municipalities, as the complexity of the system can bring about a range of results. Keep in mind that school taxes make up the largest portion, if not majority of the property taxes too.

Pay may be a factor, as the average annual pay is about 7k more here(metro) and median household income is about 10k more here(county).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-07-2014 at 05:05 AM..

Old 04-07-2014, 05:27 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,313 times
Quote:

What I will say though is that the Northeastern states including NY and NJ have large safety nets for its citizens. You won't find that in most Southern states, being they are right to work states. Its up to the individual to decide if the extra cost is worth it. I also have a hunch that most Upstate NY areas would have much more expensive homes if the property taxes were $1k a year like the low cost homes in Tennessee or Kentucky.

Also, I'd add that Kentucky and Tennessee have large areas of abject rural poverty, which NY does not have to the same extent (yes, there are poor areas in NY, but not on the same scale as KY). The safety net works both ways- I think it helps with keeping poverty low, but many do take advantage of it.

My gripe with the Northeast is more personal- I work outside and the weather is extremely difficult to deal with. This last winter was absolutely brutal for outdoor work. Also, I find the Southern people to be friendly and open, its not like that in the Northeast. Pasty fat white women are the norm, with attitudes, up here. Tan, friendly, unreserved women are more the norm down South (with some exceptions, of course). Also, as a libertarian, I find the NJ and much of NY to be like a police state. Cops are nothing more than tax collectors and the government is very intrusive. YMMV but this is my experience.

There's definitely pros and cons to both areas.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
What I will say though is that the Northeastern states including NY and NJ have large safety nets for its citizens. You won't find that in most Southern states, being they are right to work states. Its up to the individual to decide if the extra cost is worth it. I also have a hunch that most Upstate NY areas would have much more expensive homes if the property taxes were $1k a year like the low cost homes in Tennessee or Kentucky.

Also, I'd add that Kentucky and Tennessee have large areas of abject rural poverty, which NY does not have to the same extent (yes, there are poor areas in NY, but not on the same scale as KY). The safety net works both ways- I think it helps with keeping poverty low, but many do take advantage of it.

My gripe with the Northeast is more personal- I work outside and the weather is extremely difficult to deal with. This last winter was absolutely brutal for outdoor work. Also, I find the Southern people to be friendly and open, its not like that in the Northeast. Pasty fat white women are the norm, with attitudes, up here. Tan, friendly, unreserved women are more the norm down South (with some exceptions, of course). Also, as a libertarian, I find the NJ and much of NY to be like a police state. Cops are nothing more than tax collectors and the government is very intrusive. YMMV but this is my experience.

There's definitely pros and cons to both areas.
Your first paragraph and last statement pretty much get to the heart of what I've been trying to say for years on here or at least a part of it. I think it is sadly just a matter of who you would be paying to and for what. That is why it will depend on what a person wants or is looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area