Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 05:45 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It could be a matter of degree, as one homeowner may have kept up with upgrades or issues better than another homeowner, regardless of the age of the home. So, there is a lot to consider.
I'm afraid it never really works that way.

These old house require constant attention. Paint and roofs and on and on just keeping them from falling apart eats up all the money. And as these homes have very little value the incentive to even fix much less upgrade isn't really there.

Another factor is the almost complete lack of codes. Which is understandable given the age of these houses. Since most were built before electricity they have all had work done. So trying to prove I permitted work is about impossible. I've been in houses here with 60 amp entrances that have electric stoves, central air and a pool pump. Throw in ungrounded wires connecting to grounded outlets and modern wire pigtail connection to knob and tube and you got a real mess.

To flip a house here is legal but morally I couldn't do it.

To sleep in these houses is unthinkable.

Now they were good enough at one point you say. And if you live like it's 1950 they still are. But with every house bristling with window AC units and large microwaves and 1000 other thing electric this days no thank you.

For me I run large tools so I need power right from the start. Nothing super special and any house built after about 1970 is fine as is. But anything older is gonna be a gut job. Little thing Los like GFCI in the lichen and bathroom matter to. Properly wired and not just put in to sell is a plus also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 06:08 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Quote:
No, that looks legit in terms of the numbers. It all depends on where you look and you can check the records to see what the taxes were and if it includes exemptions or not. Actually, in another thread in the Syracuse forum, I posted some others that fit the criteria for another poster.
That house's low taxes are living on borrowed time. The tax assessment is only at $115K. The living area is officially at 1344sq.ft. (3BD, 1.5BA.) The last time any work was permitted was in 1980, for a 142 sq.ft. open deck.

It will be a nightmare, tax-wise, for the next owner who sees a price increase. And they.surely.will. The town assessor is, no doubt, waiting for it to sell.

PEOPLE: Please USE the county's website... http://ocfintax.ongov.net/imate/search.aspx

Old 06-25-2014, 06:43 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,001 times
Exerting Influence | Syracuse New Times

This was a very interesting article. Unfortunately, this kind of investigative reporting has all but disappeared in Syracuse. The Post Standard wouldn't touch this story with a ten foot poll. I am amused that SAC had to recruit a gym teacher from Turkey due to a lack of suitable candidates in the U.S. The quote from the physical education department at SUNY Cortland was hilarious. One of the backers of the school attributed the disproportionate presence of Turkish employees to an influx of Turkish born tailors that settled in Rochester in the 1970s. That is very interesting.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:34 PM

93,194 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I'm afraid it never really works that way.

These old house require constant attention. Paint and roofs and on and on just keeping them from falling apart eats up all the money. And as these homes have very little value the incentive to even fix much less upgrade isn't really there.

Another factor is the almost complete lack of codes. Which is understandable given the age of these houses. Since most were built before electricity they have all had work done. So trying to prove I permitted work is about impossible. I've been in houses here with 60 amp entrances that have electric stoves, central air and a pool pump. Throw in ungrounded wires connecting to grounded outlets and modern wire pigtail connection to knob and tube and you got a real mess.

To flip a house here is legal but morally I couldn't do it.

To sleep in these houses is unthinkable.

Now they were good enough at one point you say. And if you live like it's 1950 they still are. But with every house bristling with window AC units and large microwaves and 1000 other thing electric this days no thank you.

For me I run large tools so I need power right from the start. Nothing super special and any house built after about 1970 is fine as is. But anything older is gonna be a gut job. Little thing Los like GFCI in the lichen and bathroom matter to. Properly wired and not just put in to sell is a plus also.
Wouldn't this be assuming that upgrades weren't already done though? That is why I say that homeowners may have made upgrades along the way. So, just going by the age of the home alone may not be indicative of what is already in many of these homes.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
That house's low taxes are living on borrowed time. The tax assessment is only at $115K. The living area is officially at 1344sq.ft. (3BD, 1.5BA.) The last time any work was permitted was in 1980, for a 142 sq.ft. open deck.

It will be a nightmare, tax-wise, for the next owner who sees a price increase. And they.surely.will. The town assessor is, no doubt, waiting for it to sell.

PEOPLE: Please USE the county's website... http://ocfintax.ongov.net/imate/search.aspx
I was talking about at the current time and agree to look at that website. The assessment will probably go up, but many of these things will still vary depending on the location even within the same town. To be honest, the home in the Westhill SD that I saw/posted kind of surprised me, but even there, it may be a matter of where in a school district one looks.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Exerting Influence | Syracuse New Times

This was a very interesting article. Unfortunately, this kind of investigative reporting has all but disappeared in Syracuse. The Post Standard wouldn't touch this story with a ten foot poll. I am amused that SAC had to recruit a gym teacher from Turkey due to a lack of suitable candidates in the U.S. The quote from the physical education department at SUNY Cortland was hilarious. One of the backers of the school attributed the disproportionate presence of Turkish employees to an influx of Turkish born tailors that settled in Rochester in the 1970s. That is very interesting.
Yes and the part about the Turkish Community Centers was another thing I thought about, as they are popping up throughout Upstate NY in areas with a major college/university. So, I found it interesting that there was a denial of a connection or that it is just a coincidence.

You are also right in that investigative reports with the exception of maybe a Jim Kenyon now and then or another issue or two, aren't done that much any more.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:26 AM

Jamesville BalloonFest, LEON Day, beer fests galore: 8 things to do this weekend in Syracuse | syracuse.com

Old 06-26-2014, 05:50 AM

I was listening to the Hot 97 morning show and ESPN's Cari Champion predicted that Mello will sign with Chicago. I think that would be great for the Bulls. I was a big fan when Jordan was there.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I was listening to the Hot 97 morning show and ESPN's Cari Champion predicted that Mello will sign with Chicago. I think that would be great for the Bulls. I was a big fan when Jordan was there.
Plus, he can still get shots up, as Chicago is offensively challenged. If Derrick Rose can stay healthy and return to previous form, they could be similar to Oklahoma City and do this in the East, which isn't as deep. It also fulfills the big city requirement that I think his wife is looking for.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Yes and the part about the Turkish Community Centers was another thing I thought about, as they are popping up throughout Upstate NY in areas with a major college/university. So, I found it interesting that there was a denial of a connection or that it is just a coincidence

You are also right in that investigative reports with the exception of maybe a Jim Kenyon now and then or another issue or two, aren't done that much any more.
I get the impression that the vast majority of the local tv reporters lack the experience and gumption to aggressively question those in power. The Post Standard is too timid and doesn't want to ruffle any feathers. Jim Kenyon can be a pest. It's unfortunate that Syracuse doesn't have more reporters like him. Bill Carey from Time Warner Cable News also comes to mind. I would like to see Ken Jackson get a weekly column in one of the local papers or a reporting position at one of the local stations. He would also be an excellent host for a community affairs program because he doesn't ask softball questions. Fox 5 in New York (a station I don't particularly like) has Lisa Evers , the former wife of Curtis Sliwa. Although she had no journalism background she has proven to be an aggressive and solid reporter .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area