Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 08:18 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsauce711 View Post
Looks like there were three fatalities resulting from collapsed homes near Peterboro. Binghamton NWS will be out in the area tomorrow to determine whether it was straight-line winds or a tornado, and how strong it was. The storm was rotating, but there were no reports of a funnel cloud.

It seems like the state has been getting hammered this year. Verona got that EF1 a few weeks ago, Albany had the surprise EF3 back in May. The whole state has been getting pockets of straight-line wind damage multiple times a week. We'll see what this event was...and what else this summer has in store for us.
Do you have any article where you can find out about what happened in Peterboro? I'm just curious because I know some people that live there.

Yes, you are right about how there have been quite a few heavy storms/tornados that have hurt portions of some town already this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 08:21 PM

245 posts, read 431,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Do you have any article where you can find out about what happened in Peterboro? I'm just curious because I know some people that live there.

Yes, you are right about how there have been quite a few heavy storms/tornados that have hurt portions of some town already this summer.
Three killed in Peterboro, Madison Co., Weather Service says : News : CNYcentral.com

Not much is known yet.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:42 AM

368 posts, read 831,109 times
Near me..........Watertown Daily Times | Apparent tornado destroys houses in Lowville
Scary stuff.

Sean-I am still trying to find out about the state buy back program, so far I have had no answers. I received a flood packet from the fire dept and went through the whole thing seeing nothing about it. It maybe just for Hurricane victims, I'm not sure.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:46 AM

Watertown Daily Times | SPCA lowers cat adoption fees this week only

Its a good time to adopt a cat.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TughillTina View Post
Near me..........Watertown Daily Times | Apparent tornado destroys houses in Lowville
Scary stuff.

Sean-I am still trying to find out about the state buy back program, so far I have had no answers. I received a flood packet from the fire dept and went through the whole thing seeing nothing about it. It maybe just for Hurricane victims, I'm not sure.
It appears that certain neighborhoods/communities down here got hit hard with fallen down branches/trees and with quite a few power outages. Thank God that nothing happened near me. So, it seems like the damage was random and unpredictable.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-09-2014 at 05:25 AM..

Old 07-09-2014, 05:06 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,099 times
My wife "heard" that 26 people around here got the buy out letter.

If you got the letter you got it and if not then not.

I did not.

So it comes down to is the water coming back or not?? Truth is I can't say for sure. Then again 11.6 miles from me high and dry in the hills houses were wiped out and people killed by tornados. So who can say where safe is. Floods you lose your stuff. Tornados you die. Both areas can expect mountians of snow and subzero temps over and over.

Biggest thing pissing me off is no Gettysburg trip cause of all the paint. I used about 500 dollars more then I planned. Plus I finally installed the granite vanity and surprise surprise this old house turned that into another plumbing nitemere. Because I can't say this enough I hate old houses. I will pat myself on the back and say the new system I put in is a work of art and the next guy that works on it better realize he's following a master.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:34 AM

Red to green: Syracuse working to upgrade traffic signal system | Innovation Trail

Old 07-09-2014, 07:06 AM

865 posts, read 2,161,075 times
I was a bit confused by the warning to my phone. First one I ever received!

Even more strange is, it apparently knows where you are. My phone number is a Herkimer number and they didn't have a warning at the time.

Near the University we just got a LOT of wind. My apartment building was shaking, horizontal hail, etc.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:28 AM

Miller-my husbands phone rang too yesterday and it had a funny ring to it. He looked at it and said " its from Albany" so I told him "answer it!" Was the warning and we were surprised too. How do they have this cell number??

Ck-very unpredictable storm. True-True.

Sean- I am laughing with you not at you, I own a home built in 1831-that is all I have to say. I have been dealing with old homes for over twenty years, I hear you loud and clear. For some comic relief-have you ever seen Money Pit with Tom Hanks?
Great movie dealing with renovation, hilarious. Sorry to hear about your trip to Gettysburg.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:01 AM

865 posts, read 2,161,075 times
My phone made the noise like the radios make and there was a popup message (smart phone) ... but no text or call. Everyone I know that has a regular cell phone got either a text or call.

It's part of reverse 911 system I'm guessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area