Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 04:26 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
While there are a couple of solid choices in the area, if someone came along and brought good, authentic Mexican food to the area, it could/should do well around here.

Philly being the size that it is as the 6th biggest city in the US, allows it to have a lot of food options. Eventhough there isn't a relatively high Mexican percentage, there is a big enough population as to where they can have their share of good Mexican restaurants.
In regards to the first part of this post, I just noticed/found out about a new Mexican restaurant by the name of El Tepeyac Hacienda in the Mattydale Shopping Center next to Gertrude Hawk. I believe the Grand Opening is today too. It claims to be Authentic Mexican Food "Born in the heart of East LA".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 08:34 AM

865 posts, read 2,161,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Never went to Ponchitos, but yes Alto Cinco was definitely way better. Since Boom Boom was cafeteria style, I'd imagine they were just pumping out high volumes of ok food. I remember I had a taco salad and the edible taco bowl tasted so stale and just blah. I mean, I guess for what it was it was ok - cheap mediocre food.
I have been to all three. Kind of.

The Ponchitos on New Court ave is better than the one on the Turnpike, apparently. I had the one on the Turnpike and it was great! I liked it! Would like to try the one on New Court Ave some day.

Boom Boom Mex Mex was a new environment being cafeteria style. However, there is no doubt that it was authentic.

I am at a draw between Ponchito and Alto/Otro Cinco.

Ponchitos had a great taste and I loved the portion size. But I absolutely love the hot burrito offerings at High/Other five. More options for "premium" meals at High/Other five.

If we're including Chains .... I can NEVER say no to Moe's

Old 04-08-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
I have been to all three. Kind of.

The Ponchitos on New Court ave is better than the one on the Turnpike, apparently. I had the one on the Turnpike and it was great! I liked it! Would like to try the one on New Court Ave some day.

Boom Boom Mex Mex was a new environment being cafeteria style. However, there is no doubt that it was authentic.

I am at a draw between Ponchito and Alto/Otro Cinco.

Ponchitos had a great taste and I loved the portion size. But I absolutely love the hot burrito offerings at High/Other five. More options for "premium" meals at High/Other five.

If we're including Chains .... I can NEVER say no to Moe's
I've only been to the New Court Ponchitos and it is pretty good with big portions. So, I don't think it would disappoint.

I still haven't checked out El Tepeyac in Mattydale, but I'm planning on doing so in the near future.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:54 PM

I don't know about this one, but if you say so: Is Onondaga Lake finally clean enough to swim in? NY state, scientists think so | syracuse.com

Old 04-21-2015, 01:08 PM

I hope this works out, because it would not be a good look for the Fair: NY State Fair having tough time booking Grandstand acts, director warns | syracuse.com

Old 04-21-2015, 01:50 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
Quote:
I've only been to the New Court Ponchitos and it is pretty good with big portions. So, I don't think it would disappoint.

I still haven't checked out El Tepeyac in Mattydale, but I'm planning on doing so in the near future.
I just happened to look up that new place on Yelp to see all these bad reviews. Quick entry into the Google machine found me this gem - El Tepeyac feud: Los Angeles eatery challenges new Mattydale restaurant's use of name | syracuse.com

I find it odd that this is the second time the owner of the Mattydale place has pulled this - if you read the article, he had opened another place with a similar name out in CA (which has since closed).

Old 04-21-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I just happened to look up that new place on Yelp to see all these bad reviews. Quick entry into the Google machine found me this gem - El Tepeyac feud: Los Angeles eatery challenges new Mattydale restaurant's use of name | syracuse.com

I find it odd that this is the second time the owner of the Mattydale place has pulled this - if you read the article, he had opened another place with a similar name out in CA (which has since closed).
Nice catch and the girl in the article let them have it by calling them liars. Ouch! I did see a restaurant with the same name located in Chino Hills, but I didn't know that it involved the same people though. Along with the bad reviews, this is quite sad.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:25 AM

Jamesville-DeWitt, Skaneateles, Baldwinsville and Fayetteville-Manlius make the America's Most Challenging High School list according to the Washington Post: 4 Onondaga County schools named to America's Most Challenging High School list | syracuse.com

Old 04-22-2015, 05:45 PM

54 posts, read 62,654 times
Quote:
Nice catch and the girl in the article let them have it by calling them liars. Ouch! I did see a restaurant with the same name located in Chino Hills, but I didn't know that it involved the same people though. Along with the bad reviews, this is quite sad.
Annnnnnd they're gone.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:07 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedmunkie View Post
WOW!!! That sure was fast! I was baffled when I read all the stories, guess this guy shouldn't have opened in the first place. Shame, one less Mexican food place in Syracuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area