Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 01:23 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times

Advertisements

Best of Central New York Pizza Playoffs: Meet the Elite Eight | syracuse.com

I came across this article about cny pizza play-offs, man did I get home sick! Don't mean to waste people's time, but that pizza looks so gooooood! I am a big Avacoli, Twin Trees fan myself. I have not been to Varsity in years, so I can't say. I used to scarf those down, back in the day. After a night at Sutters Mill and/or 44's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 07:28 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
Treasure hunt medallion was found at the West Shore Trail in Onondaga Lake Park. Pretty crappy of Syracuse.com though - it was found at 6:45 this morning and they didn't announce it until 9am... that means people were out in the cold for hours looking for something that was already found.

I did have fun searching though! I checked Willow Bay, Hiawatha Point, and Long Branch Park

Old 03-08-2012, 12:47 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times
I came across this YNN CapitalReport feature on the state of Syracuse's financial situation, it included Fmr. Lt. Gov. Ravitch and Mayor Miner:

Miner and Ravitch on Syracuse’s Fiscal Problems

As Mayor Miner said, it is not just a Syracuse problem:

Don't blame cities for police pension problems - Sun Sentinel
http://www.mysuncoast.com/content/news/7SouthNews/story/Local-pension-problems-Venice-gets-an-F/ZF-lbR8ZiEi1_iu3WgmmNQ.cspx (broken link)

Public employees and unions are going to have to give a little/possibly alot!, or face possible default, i.e. Stockton, California. Some of the options being considered down here include cutting benefits, raising employee contributions, changing to a more 401k style plan, raising taxes, or a combination to make up the difference.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 03-08-2012 at 01:05 PM..

Old 03-10-2012, 10:23 AM

288 posts, read 510,171 times
Apple adding 3,600 jobs and a 304 million dollar campus in Austin, Texas....Here is my issue....why add these jobs in a city thats already overpopulated and prospering..why not support cities that need help like a Syracuse or a Buffalo....or a Flint, Michigan...or even help out in Apple's home state and build it in Stockton, Cali which just went bankrupt...same with Microsoft...bill gates helps millions of Indians yet he wont help cities like New Orleans. Apple to add 3,600 jobs at new $304 million campus in Austin, Texas | syracuse.com

Old 03-10-2012, 10:54 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,386 times
Maybe because people actually want to live in Austin and since there are already thousands of educated people in that ares, it won't be hard to staff. Apple is in business to make money, not save little towns that are struggling.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:11 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Also, it's called tax breaks and cheaper costs, including pay to some degree.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:57 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, it's called tax breaks and cheaper costs, including pay to some degree.
Texas is a very business friendly state. While I personally would not want to live there, the state has witnessed considerable growth in not only population but an influx of college educated professionals which in turn creates an attractive environment for tech companies like Microsoft, Apple, and Dell. Companies don't just locate somewhere for cheap costs, they first and foremost need to have a skilled labor force or be able to attract such people. If cost was everything, backwater states like Mississippi, Louisana, Arkansas, and West Virignia would be booming. Although there are certainly communities in those states that are vibrant, they have not attracted the kind of investment that other more "desirable" southern states have like Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 03-10-2012 at 02:10 PM..

Old 03-10-2012, 01:16 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Texas is a very business friendly state. While I personally would not want to live there, the state has witnessed considerable growth in not only population but an influx of college educated professionals which in turn creates an attractive environment for tech companies like Microsoft, Apple, and Dell. Companies don't just locate somewhere for cheap costs, they first and foremost need to have a skilled labor force or be able to attract such people. If cost was everything, backwater states like Mississippi, Louisana, Arkansas, and West Virignia would be booming. Although there are certainly communities in those cities that are vibrant, they have not attracted the kind of investment that other more "desirable" southern states have like Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina.
Very true and I actually agree pretty much with what ToeJam posted. South Carolina is another state that has done pretty well in terms of its major metros.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:13 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Very true and I actually agree pretty much with what ToeJam posted. South Carolina is another state that has done pretty well in terms of its major metros.
South Carolina has done very well, although their unemployment rate has stayed pretty high. I've never been there - although I've heard Charleston is very nice. Someday I'd like to see Asheville, NC. My visits to NC have been limited to Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, and Greensboro.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:16 PM

38 posts, read 67,001 times
Asheville is beautiful. Take lots of extra batteries for your camera! Just watch out for all the hippies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area