Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 11:06 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,248,049 times

Advertisements

I live in the biggest city in Madison county (<--funny). I don't hang out with welfare people so don't know or care what they do. The people I know tend to work. Employment here is I'd say pretty stable, no hiring but no layoffs either. But sadly afew have lost jobs and they have all left the state. Small number, maybe 10 in the last couple years, but the total is pretty low. Mostly they moved South were the story goes, and remember I'm still here so its second hand, all you have to do is say your from the North and you'll get hired quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 11:13 AM

So I been gadding about Syracuse this morning. The plan was to sniff around this inner harbor deal but no time.

Traffic is fresh in my mind having been in Tampa and Orlando a couple weeks ago and gonna be in Seattle and Chicago in a few weeks.

I was in the city of Syracuse during rush minute this morning. On 81,481 and 690 plus side roads all about. If someone lives in a popular spot and hates traffic boy could they find happiness here. Zip zip all about with no worries. I really think this could be a strong selling point. All my family lives in high traffic areas and they say you get used to it and its the cost of living in a nice area. And I can stand it for short periods myself but I always think if I had to do this everyday I'd kill myself.

The trouble with selling this area as zero traffic is it might create the problem it solves.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:23 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
So I been gadding about Syracuse this morning. The plan was to sniff around this inner harbor deal but no time.

Traffic is fresh in my mind having been in Tampa and Orlando a couple weeks ago and gonna be in Seattle and Chicago in a few weeks.

I was in the city of Syracuse during rush minute this morning. On 81,481 and 690 plus side roads all about. If someone lives in a popular spot and hates traffic boy could they find happiness here. Zip zip all about with no worries. I really think this could be a strong selling point. All my family lives in high traffic areas and they say you get used to it and its the cost of living in a nice area. And I can stand it for short periods myself but I always think if I had to do this everyday I'd kill myself.

The trouble with selling this area as zero traffic is it might create the problem it solves.
Have fun in Chicago. It's my favorite city and in my opinion far nicer than NYC. Compared to NYC, Chicago has a significantly higher crime rate (especially on the south and west sides), population loss, a less vibrant economy, and serious political corruption but I still love it. The downtown (loop) area is amazing with striking architecture and nearby Lake Michigan.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:27 AM

91,951 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
This is certainly not good news, but when factoring in the growth in Oswego County, the Syracuse MSA had a percentage population loss of 0.0% since the 2010 census and remains the nation's 80th largest metro area. The loss of 65 people in a county with the population of over 460,000 effectively means the population has stayed flat. That being said, it does mean more people are leaving the area than moving in which is troubling. At least the birth rate in the Syracuse area is still higher than the death rate. In places like Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Utica, and Scranton the number of births has been outpaced by deaths for years.

I was surprised to see a relatively high population loss of 650 people in Albany County. While neighboring counties with the exception of Rensselear grew, Albany County still has room for new development and is more vibrant, affluent, and better educated than Monroe County which experienced a very healthy population gain.
What could have contributed to losses in Albany County is the downsizing of government jobs. I believe that Schenectady County gained some people too.

Also, I think the stalling of projects may have something to do with this. I feel that once these projects are started or completed, you will see some growth again.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:30 AM

I driven through it afew times and been impressed with how compact the skyline is. So, if possible, I'm gonna try and find time to wander about some.

Likely to run into the same old problem, I getting poking around Montana and I never wanna leave then have to beat feet home broke and outta time.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:34 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,603,598 times
Quote:

I was in the city of Syracuse during rush minute this morning. On 81,481 and 690 plus side roads all about. If someone lives in a popular spot and hates traffic boy could they find happiness here. Zip zip all about with no worries.
You also have to remember that today is a holiday for a lot of people, so traffic was even less than usual. My commute would be even better if it weren't for the damn school buses, trash trucks, and farm equipment on Seneca Turnpike.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:43 AM

My drive to Syracuse can be slow for those same reasons. Fayetteville can be the enemy. But once there its nothing.

Some places in Florida can take so freaking long to go afew miles you wanna scream. And they have an ultra modern road system. Just too many GD people!!!!!!!!!!

And that I-5 in Seattle?? Its weeks away and I'm already dreading it. Sometimes you can actually see where you wanna go and it takes a hour to get there. Always pee before leaving in both those places.

I don't believe that one gets used to it. I think SOME people get used to it. I don't think I ever could. And I bet if people like me in high traffic areas ever came to Syracuse the'd think they died and went to heaven.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:46 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,847,481 times
Quote:
As our area continues to shrink, and most all of Upstate, how is it that Oswego County is carring the water?? What the heck is going on up there??

Downstate gains, upstate loses in N.Y. population data | The Journal News | LoHud.com | LoHud.com

And just how do "they" keep such exact data?? Changes of address at the PO or something??
Ok, I would have to see Cornell's methodology, but I am a little suspect here. If the data analysis was conducted between April 2011 and March 2012, I could understand its conclusions. It would imply that (say) Onondaga County lost 65 people since the 2010 census. However, Cornell's time frame (according to the article) is between April 1, 2010 and July 1, 2011, the majority of which (time) the 2010 census was being conducted. The 2010 census data was released last year showing Onondaga County gaining 8600 people, Madison gained approximately 5,000 people. Am I to understand that Onondaga County went from a 8600 person gain to a 65 person loss? Also, the 2010 census showed that Oswego County's population remained flat to slightly negative, while this studies shows it gained? I know Cornell's Program on Applied Demographics coordinates with the Census bureau, but why was this study being conducted during the 2010 census and why the disparity from the final 2010 results? It sounds like some professors needed something to do.

Sean, don't misunderstand, not trying to be argumentative. The questions are rhetorical, but if someone could clarify...great, thanks!

Last edited by urbanplanner; 04-06-2012 at 12:24 PM..

Old 04-06-2012, 12:12 PM

91,951 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Ok, I would have to see Cornell's methodology, but I am a little suspect here. If the data analysis was conducted between April 2011 and March 2012, I could understand. It would imply that (say) Onondaga County lost 65 people since the 2010 census. However, Cornell's time frame (according to the article) is between April 1, 2010 and July 1, 2011, the majority of which (time) the 2010 census was being conducted. The 2010 census data was released last year showing Onondaga County gaining 8600 people, Madison gained approximately 5,000 people. I know Cornell's Program on Applied Demographics coordinates with the Census bureau, but why was this study being conducted and why the disparity? The 2010 census showed that Oswego County's population remained flat to slightly negative, while this studies shows it gained? It sounds like some professors needed something to do.

Sean, don't misunderstand, not trying to be argumentative. The questions are rhetorical, but if someone could clarify...great!

Good point and there were some adjustments after the official numbers came out, if I'm not mistaken. Interesting..... I believe that some information has not been released yet.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-06-2012 at 12:23 PM..

Old 04-06-2012, 12:42 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,847,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good point and there were some adjustments after the official numbers came out, if I'm not mistaken. Interesting..... I believe that some information has not been released yet.
Precisely, I will wait for the revised 2010 census data to see if CNY is on a sustained growth pattern. I have seen these university studies before and they are generally wrong, it depends on their methodology. Data analysis can be skewed anyway you want, but the census is a "head count". The census is flawed to be sure, but it is not based on building permits or some other representative statistic for example. I could accept the data if it said that Onondaga County (for example) lost 65 people (using the cornell number) from the 8600 gained from the 2010 census. However, if Cornell is concluding that Onondaga (again, for example) went from a 8600 person gain to a 65 person loss, there is something REALLY, REALLY wrong! My concern, this will hit the papers/press and people will jump all over it!

Last edited by urbanplanner; 04-06-2012 at 12:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area