Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 01:14 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
St. Sophia's Greek Festival this weekend - YNN, Your News Now

Good stuff at St. Sophia's Greek Festival, been there a few times!
There's Balloon Fest and the Polish Festival this weekend too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 06:06 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
I'm voting for Village Burger!

Best of Central New York Burger Battle: Who has the best burgers in town? | syracuse.com

Old 06-08-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Me too. I want to try the burgers and the Ale and Angus Pub, the Blarney Stone and the Bull and Bear Pub too. I've heard things about Hafner's too.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:06 AM

580 posts, read 1,173,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Me too. I want to try the burgers and the Ale and Angus Pub, the Blarney Stone and the Bull and Bear Pub too. I've heard things about Hafner's too.
Blarney's burger is quite good. It's not spectacular, but it's a tremendous value.

Bull & Bear is truly mediocre. Don't bother.

Everyone seems to like that Ale and Angus; I always mean to give it a try but tend to wander by when it's not open (they don't do lunch on weekends).

Old 06-08-2012, 12:52 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,872 times
Syracuse was named the No. 20 "brainiest" city in the United States by The Atlantic Cities, a special project website of The Atlantic Monthly. Rochester (13th) and Plattsburgh (18th) were the other two NYS cities in the top twenty-five list.

Syracuse named No. 20 'brainiest' city in America | syracuse.com

Old 06-08-2012, 01:40 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,264 times
Quote:
Syracuse was named the No. 20 "brainiest" city in the United States by The Atlantic Cities, a special project website of The Atlantic Monthly.
Syracuse named No. 20 'brainiest' city in America | syracuse.com
The data is based on 20 million users of the company's online games, which include word puzzles and face-name recognition challenges. Sounds legit to me.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
The data is based on 20 million users of the company's online games, which include word puzzles and face-name recognition challenges. Sounds legit to me.
Yeah, interesting criteria......

Old 06-09-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I guess the Atlantic Monthly (who sponsors the Atlantic Cities web-site) and the Wall Street Journal (who commented on the list) are not a legitimate publications? Granted, this is not a Harvard, Yale or Cambridge study, but it is a reflection of our high tech. age. As the article points our, it is simply a new way to measure and track cognitive capacity of metro areas.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 06-09-2012 at 01:24 PM..

Old 06-11-2012, 10:05 AM

"Six-thousand families resettled to Syracuse in the last ten years"..

City searches for Pond Street Wegmans replacement - YNN, Your News Now

"For a neighborhood that is growing, the closing of the Pond Street Wegmans comes at a bad time. "There have been about six thousand families resettled to Syracuse in the last ten years and most of them have landed on the North Side," said Syracuse University Assistant Professor of Geography, Jonnell Robinson. Still Robinson says the North Side has many ethnic grocery stores that can cushion the blow of losing a major grocer, but will not replace it."

These are encouraging statistics and consistent with recent census data showing a growing population. I am sure she is utilizing recent 2010 census data. The numbers contradict one of Wegmans reasons for closing the store, flat or declining population. I recall someone posting 2010 census track changes with 2000 on this forum. I tried to find it, but it did show northside tracks growing.

In any event, I am excited that the northside (despite some troubles) is diverifying and becoming multi-cultural by attracting most of those families. I am also encouraged that there is interest in the store which may reflect the population data, but makes me wonder why Wegmans would close at all if there is other interest. I know it is there smallest store, but what a marketing tool for the company having a store in an urban neighborhood.

Growing up around the corner from the Wegmans store before moving to Liverpool, this story is close to my heart (just a little nostaligic).

Last edited by urbanplanner; 06-11-2012 at 10:14 AM..

Old 06-11-2012, 11:38 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,285 times
Quote:
"Six-thousand families resettled to Syracuse in the last ten years"..

City searches for Pond Street Wegmans replacement - YNN, Your News Now

"For a neighborhood that is growing, the closing of the Pond Street Wegmans comes at a bad time. "There have been about six thousand families resettled to Syracuse in the last ten years and most of them have landed on the North Side," said Syracuse University Assistant Professor of Geography, Jonnell Robinson. Still Robinson says the North Side has many ethnic grocery stores that can cushion the blow of losing a major grocer, but will not replace it."

These are encouraging statistics and consistent with recent census data showing a growing population. I am sure she is utilizing recent 2010 census data. The numbers contradict one of Wegmans reasons for closing the store, flat or declining population. I recall someone posting 2010 census track changes with 2000 on this forum. I tried to find it, but it did show northside tracks growing.

In any event, I am excited that the northside (despite some troubles) is diverifying and becoming multi-cultural by attracting most of those families. I am also encouraged that there is interest in the store which may reflect the population data, but makes me wonder why Wegmans would close at all if there is other interest. I know it is there smallest store, but what a marketing tool for the company having a store in an urban neighborhood.

Growing up around the corner from the Wegmans store before moving to Liverpool, this story is close to my heart (just a little nostaligic).
An increase in population doesn't necessarily translate into an increase in income, buying power and earning potential. Many of the families settled are uneducated refugees that lack the requisite skills to land good paying jobs and have very high birth rates which puts considerable strain on the already burdened social safety net. I would be curious as to the % of these newly settled residents receive food stamps and other temporary assistance. Although supermarkets are required to accept EBT cards, that doesn't mean that a head of household with 7 or 8 kids is spending a similiar or higher amount of groceries at the Pond Street Wegmans than the mostly middle and working class Italian families of a generation ago or even 10 years ago when adjusting for inflation.

Wegmans had provided a statistic that showed a lower % of families do all of their shopping at that Wegmans store. If Wegmans is to be believed, the declining percentage of Pond Street shoppers utilizing that store for all of their grocery needs may be a reflection that the declining demographics of that area and high % of refugee and other low income families on food stamps has resulted in the store carrying more lower cost foods which allow food stamp users to make their government supported food dollars go further at the expense of more middle class shoppers that end up traveling to the James Street Wegmans and other grocers in the northern suburbs to do their shopping. If such a scenario has occurred, it would explain why a growing number of shoppers may be utilizing that store only for the basics (ie milk, bread, soda). Personally, I do my shopping at many grocery stores depending on where I am and my schedule. I would assume many others do the same.

I sincerely hope another grocer locates on Pond Street. Despite Nojaim's local roots, their stores in Marcellus and Near West Side are dumpy. The addition of a PriceRite or Tops would be in the neighorhood's best interest from a pricing and selection standpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area