Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 04:34 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,248,560 times

Advertisements

In no way surprising to me but hardly good news to me for a dozen reasons is the unemployment figures that came out this morning (to me anyway, radio news).

Syracuse to you guys and to me Syracuse/Utica is most leading the State in Unemployment and NY is already higher then average.

Local Area Unemployment Statistics Program - New York State Department of Labor

May is generally one of the better months up here and this year is spiking. Worst CNY May in the 22 years they list.

Something is going horribly off the rails in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 07:02 PM

92,013 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
In no way surprising to me but hardly good news to me for a dozen reasons is the unemployment figures that came out this morning (to me anyway, radio news).

Syracuse to you guys and to me Syracuse/Utica is most leading the State in Unemployment and NY is already higher then average.

Local Area Unemployment Statistics Program - New York State Department of Labor

May is generally one of the better months up here and this year is spiking. Worst CNY May in the 22 years they list.

Something is going horribly off the rails in this area.
It could also mean that more people are applying for or are seeking work, eventhough the job market nationally is still far from where it could be. I don't know if that list was for the area, as it looked like the rate for the state and it says is subject to revision. Here are rates by state: Unemployment Rates for States

Old 06-28-2012, 07:20 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,248,560 times
I'm not sure why it comes up state wide. I had clicked on a radio button directly to Syracuse, and all other metro and micro areas.

Labor Force and Unemployment Data - New York State Department of Labor

This should be the main state page.

If you look at all the information its very hard to process it all but it kinda looks like several thousand people are missing from this areas workforce. By playing with past years data it almost looks like if everyone that was still in our workforce that was here afew years ago the rate would be much higher. We are down 18 thousand workers from our peak (on that list going back to 1990).

I don't think its good to look at other areas with higher rates and say "oh look we aren't as bad as them".

We should look at areas that are doing better and say "what are they doing that we can do??"

Old 06-28-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I'm not sure why it comes up state wide. I had clicked on a radio button directly to Syracuse, and all other metro and micro areas.

Labor Force and Unemployment Data - New York State Department of Labor

This should be the main state page.

If you look at all the information its very hard to process it all but it kinda looks like several thousand people are missing from this areas workforce. By playing with past years data it almost looks like if everyone that was still in our workforce that was here afew years ago the rate would be much higher. We are down 18 thousand workers from our peak (on that list going back to 1990).

I don't think its good to look at other areas with higher rates and say "oh look we aren't as bad as them".

We should look at areas that are doing better and say "what are they doing that we can do??"
Perhaps, but the economy in general needs to change and what works in one state may not work in another. Energy is big now and may come to other parts of NY. So, who knows? If it does, I hope that it isn't short lived and there is proper infrastructure in place unlike much of the Dakotas, for instance. With this said, the rate varies by area and by one's skills and education.

I feel that the business tax situation allows for more businesses to consider NY, but even in states with a better situation in that regard have cons in terms of corporate welfare and subsidies.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:41 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,603,905 times
I saw on Twitter that Popeye's Chicken opened yesterday at the mall. There were over 100 people in line and they stretched across the food court. Others said they were running out of food because Popeye's did not expect the large turn out.

The Destiny Twitter account also posted an interior shot of the Melting Pot. It looks like they are ready to open very soon.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I saw on Twitter that Popeye's Chicken opened yesterday at the mall. There were over 100 people in line and they stretched across the food court. Others said they were running out of food because Popeye's did not expect the large turn out.

The Destiny Twitter account also posted an interior shot of the Melting Pot. It looks like they are ready to open very soon.
I think it is funny, considering that there were Popeye's locations in the area in the late 80-mid 90's. One was on Erie Boulevard east in Dewitt where outback steakhouse is and the other was in Liverpool on Old Liverpool Road where there is an Indian Restaurant currently. Hopefully, this one will last.

Looking at the Melting Pot website, I think it should do fine. I'm kind of surprised that the Fayetteville Towne Center didn't get one, as it would probably do very well there.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:12 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,574 times
Quote:

For a 30 year partial property tax abatement, Syracuse gets a Popeye's from Bob Congel. I would be interested to know what % of the 100+ slobs waiting on line for the Popeye's to open are employed? I'm guessing the number is in single digits as is the number of people who are not classified as obese. The area already has a high number of fast food joints per capita. Popeye's is the last thing Syracuse needs; although I'd guess most would probably beg to differ. I wonder what tenant will be announced next? Perhaps a mini Wal-Mart, Deb's Beeper World, Rent-A-Center, or maybe an "upscale" tatoo parlor. Congel always shoots for the stratosphere with his tenant selections and standards.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:09 AM

The area has a high number of fast food places, but there isn't the variety that other areas have.
the picture I saw at Popeye's was taken at the early evening, so most, if employed, would have been off of work at that time.

Putting the politics of the mall aside, it is pretty exciting to have new options for shopping and dining come to town. Variety is the spice of life and while most are chains, it does add to the area.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:10 PM

Here is the picture that was posted. syracuse.com has picked it up. http://media.syracuse.com/news/photo...bd48fb1e41.jpg

Old 06-29-2012, 12:24 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,847,868 times
Quote:
Here is the picture that was posted. syracuse.com has picked it up. http://media.syracuse.com/news/photo...bd48fb1e41.jpg
I think we were all on the same page. I hate to say it, but I laughed. Ten years of controversy and we get headlines of people mobbing Popeyes. Here is the photo I found yesterday from WSTM: Popeyes fast food chain comes to Destiny USA : News : CNYcentral.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area