Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2012, 11:34 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
The area has a high number of fast food places, but there isn't the variety that other areas have.
the picture I saw at Popeye's was taken at the early evening, so most, if employed, would have been off of work at that time.

Putting the politics of the mall aside, it is pretty exciting to have new options for shopping and dining come to town. Variety is the spice of life and while most are chains, it does add to the area.
I definitely agree it's nice to have new shopping options, especially stores have locations in major cities. Unfortunately, almost all of the new tenants are outlets with low caliber junk you would find in the in a run-of-the mill outlet center about 40 to 50 miles outside any major city. Despite what was initially billed as a major destination, the tenants announced so far are medicore and do not include ANY full-line stores or destination retailers, except restaurants that would have already landed or eventually located in the eastern suburbs (i.e PF Changs and Cheesecake Factory). I have no doubt if a legitimate developer like Simon, Vornado, General Growth Properties, and the like purchased Shoppingtown five years ago, they would have been able to attract most if not all of the destination restaurants and a LL Bean store. Now, it's too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 12:03 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
In no way surprising to me but hardly good news to me for a dozen reasons is the unemployment figures that came out this morning (to me anyway, radio news).

Syracuse to you guys and to me Syracuse/Utica is most leading the State in Unemployment and NY is already higher then average.

Local Area Unemployment Statistics Program - New York State Department of Labor

May is generally one of the better months up here and this year is spiking. Worst CNY May in the 22 years they list.

Something is going horribly off the rails in this area.
ckhthankgod is right, one of the reasons for the increase in unemployment is (most likely) attributed to an increase in the labor force and those looking for work. The Syracuse area unemployment rate shot up to 8.6 percent in May from 7.8 percent the same month (May) last year, the State Department of Labor reported. As reported by syracuse.com, "One reason for the increase in the unemployment rate may be that more people who had dropped out of the labor force during the depths of the recession are now re-entering it but have not yet found a job, the (Syracuse) area’s labor force — the total number of people employed or actively seeking work — rose 3,400 from 318,600 in May 2011 to 322,000 last month."

Syracuse area unemployment rate rose in May | syracuse.com

Conversely, the Tampa Bay times reported that Florida's unemployment rate dropped to 8.7 percent, sounds great! Unfortunately, what's also falling is the number of Floridians who either have a job or are looking for work and the state lost 2,700 jobs. Tampa Bay's unemployment rate also fell substantially, from 8.9 percent to 8.5 percent. Like the statewide snapshot, Tampa Bay's rate dropped largely because its labor pool got smaller, down more than 13,000 people. The metro area lost 600 jobs between March and April.

Florida unemployment falls to 8.7 percent, but … - Tampa Bay Times

As a result, many are considering leaving that state of Florida.

http://flaglerlive.com/17952/sunshine-state-survey/

Last edited by urbanplanner; 06-29-2012 at 12:18 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 12:25 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
For a 30 year partial property tax abatement, Syracuse gets a Popeye's from Bob Congel. I would be interested to know what % of the 100+ slobs waiting on line for the Popeye's to open are employed? I'm guessing the number is in single digits as is the number of people who are not classified as obese. The area already has a high number of fast food joints per capita. Popeye's is the last thing Syracuse needs; although I'd guess most would probably beg to differ. I wonder what tenant will be announced next? Perhaps a mini Wal-Mart, Deb's Beeper World, Rent-A-Center, or maybe an "upscale" tatoo parlor. Congel always shoots for the stratosphere with his tenant selections and standards.
I'm sorry, but I laughed at this. Especially the Deb's Beeper World. Man, Rolls...... I hear you though.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:34 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm sorry, but I laughed at this. Especially the Deb's Beeper World. Man, Rolls...... I hear you though.
Hahah, no need to apologize. I knew the post was a bet crazy. I haven't seen Deb's commercials lately. A couple of years ago two or three of the brothers and these girls that looked like they worked at "Bada bing" on Wolf Street had this extremely low budget commercial dancing around and hawking their cheap phones.

I forgot to include Kevin Fear and his Universal Cellular and Dish store. If the new leases don't pan out, I could see him as a viable tenant, although he could only afford a kiosk and have to mortage his Central Square doublewide trailer. LOL.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:35 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Hahah, no need to apologize. I knew the post was a bet crazy. I haven't seen Deb's commercials lately. A couple of years ago two or three of the brothers and these girls that looked like they worked at "Bada bing" on Wolf Street had this extremely low budget commercial dancing around and hawking their cheap phones.

I forgot to include Kevin Fear and his Universal Cellular and Dish store. If the new leases don't pan out, I could see him as a viable tenant, although he could only afford a kiosk and have to mortage his Central Square doublewide trailer. LOL.
It's hiLARious that you mention these two places. My husband and I have each worked there, at different times, about a decade ago. (I worked for Fear for about a week before I quit! lol) Both men are scads, teetering on the line of the law at best, but they make GOOD money and enjoy luxurious lifestyles... except for the times they must interact with their livelihood and the people who temporarily earn it for them.

But, for sure, they would not contribute a thing to the community.

Deb sells hair in his mini-mart on the north side. He was busted too many times for illegal dealings, cellular contracts and otherwise.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:33 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
Now see this is why my heart gets all warm and fuzzy living in CNY.

Found in my yard. Six foot fence, no wind last night.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:51 AM

My SIL lives in Auburn and was just here. He says some guy in Auburn is selling "Syracuse, The Bath Salt City" T-shirts. On the back it says "I Survived the Zombie Apocalypse 2012".

Must get!!!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
My SIL lives in Auburn and was just here. He says some guy in Auburn is selling "Syracuse, The Bath Salt City" T-shirts. On the back it says "I Survived the Zombie Apocalypse 2012".

Must get!!!
Crazy... Unfortunately, it is the hot drug across the country, if not world, right now. Use of ?bath salts? drug on rise - Taipei Times

'Bath Salts': Use of Dangerous Drug Increasing Across U.S. - ABC News

"Bath Salts" - Emerging and Dangerous Products | National Institute on Drug Abuse

Old 06-30-2012, 09:11 AM

I quite frankly don't know what to think of this. We joke of CNY classic foods like bath salt potatoes and such but I'm actually right on the edge of being sorta scared.

The drug use around here has long since hardened me to ghetto life but then out of the blue something that can scare even me??

The Gaza Strip is a couple blocks up from me so I knew it was there but don't have to go that way since the guy in my carpool that lived there changed shifts. Now its in my own yard.

I wonder how hard it would be to sell a house with bath salt packages in the yard??

Old 06-30-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I quite frankly don't know what to think of this. We joke of CNY classic foods like bath salt potatoes and such but I'm actually right on the edge of being sorta scared.

The drug use around here has long since hardened me to ghetto life but then out of the blue something that can scare even me??

The Gaza Strip is a couple blocks up from me so I knew it was there but don't have to go that way since the guy in my carpool that lived there changed shifts. Now its in my own yard.

I wonder how hard it would be to sell a house with bath salt packages in the yard??
Drug abuse is everywhere, not just in "ghettos". I dare say it is worse outside of the stereotypical neighborhoods associated with drug abuse.

I didn't see anything close to resembling the Gaza Strip in Oneida, BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area