Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 02:48 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times

Advertisements

Interesting (positive) Economist article about Buffalo and Rochester, makes reference to $1B investment by NYS noted by Rolls Royce:

Comments on Upstate New York cities: Back in business | The Economist

Btw, have a happy and safe Fourth of July!

Last edited by urbanplanner; 07-03-2012 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 11:54 AM

M&T executive chosen as board chair at OCC

After reading the attached article, I am more confident then ever about the prospects of COR's inner-harbor project moving forward. Allen Naples has been appointed the new Chariman of the Board of Trustees for OCC, who happens to be M&T's Central New York Regional Presidents. The article also points out, Steven Aiello, president of COR Development Co., LLC, was re-elected as board vice chairman. You've heard of "the Butcher, the Baker, and the Candlestick maker", well now there is the "Lender" (M&T), the "Developer" (COR) and the "Project Anchor" (OCC)! I am sure OCC will get the approval from SUNY for the satellite campus.

No guarantees, but I think the stars are in alignment!

Last edited by urbanplanner; 07-06-2012 at 12:04 PM..

Old 07-06-2012, 01:07 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Interesting (positive) Economist article about Buffalo and Rochester, makes reference to $1B investment by NYS noted by Rolls Royce:

Btw, have a happy and safe Fourth of July!

Your plug recognizing Syracuse was great. It's unfortunate that people from Rochester and Buffalo choose to bash Syracuse and those that say positive things. I only hope that Buffalo and Rochester's rebounding economies will experience a major decline. Frankly, both cities are overrated and not very impressive; although Buffalo has architecture that is unrivaled in upstate New York. I do agree U of R is a research powerhouse and SU and SUNY Upstate are very lacking in funding for research.

I liked the comment from a physician who formerly lived in Buffalo and remarked on the incestious and insular nature of the medical community in that city. Just substitute Canisius HS, Canisius College and SUNY Buffalo with CBA, LeMoyne and SUNY Upstate and you have the same problem in Syracuse. I hope he was implying that many of the doctors in Buffalo are homegrown and wasn't using the forum as an attack on catholic education; although I don't know. There is a big difference between prestigious catholic colleges like Georgetown, Boston College, Holly Cross, Notre Dame and Villanova and the LeMoyne's, Niagara's and Iona's.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
It's hiLARious that you mention these two places. My husband and I have each worked there, at different times, about a decade ago. (I worked for Fear for about a week before I quit! lol) Both men are scads, teetering on the line of the law at best, but they make GOOD money and enjoy luxurious lifestyles... except for the times they must interact with their livelihood and the people who temporarily earn it for them.

But, for sure, they would not contribute a thing to the community.

Deb sells hair in his mini-mart on the north side. He was busted too many times for illegal dealings, cellular contracts and otherwise.

I'm not a litigious person, however it's a shame you and your husband can't sue Fear and Deb for pain and suffering even if they paid you. LOL. I think there should be a class action lawsuit brought by viewers that have to listen to the noise pollution on their commercials. There should be a 60 second warning before a commercial appears from these clowns.

Speaking of hair, I remember once hearing a commercial from Debs on Hot 107.9 or Power 106.9 offering this promotion: By one human hair and get the second one free. Or maybe it was buy two human hairs and get the third one free. I almost drove off Route 92 in uncontrollable laughter.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Your plug recognizing Syracuse was great. It's unfortunate that people from Rochester and Buffalo choose to bash Syracuse and those that say positive things. I only hope that Buffalo and Rochester's rebounding economies will experience a major decline. Frankly, both cities are overrated and not very impressive; although Buffalo has architecture that is unrivaled in upstate New York. I do agree U of R is a research powerhouse and SU and SUNY Upstate are very lacking in funding for research.

I liked the comment from a physician who formerly lived in Buffalo and remarked on the incestious and insular nature of the medical community in that city. Just substitute Canisius HS, Canisius College and SUNY Buffalo with CBA, LeMoyne and SUNY Upstate and you have the same problem in Syracuse. I hope he was implying that many of the doctors in Buffalo are homegrown and wasn't using the forum as an attack on catholic education; although I don't know. There is a big difference between prestigious catholic colleges like Georgetown, Boston College, Holly Cross, Notre Dame and Villanova and the LeMoyne's, Niagara's and Iona's.
I got "slammed" by guest-isnjeij who noted that I have an "inferiority complex" and may be from Utica (aka, "hick"). I admit, I over glorified Syracuse a bit, but I generally agree with your points. I am coming around to your opinion that there seems to be the Buff-Rochcentric view that whats good for Buffalo and Rochester is good for New York State! Well, to use the GM analogy, we all know how that turned out. It is smaller nimble cities that are the future trends. I admit I am biased, but I do not see the level of planning going on in Buffalo and Rochester as there has been in Syracuse. If it were not for the infusions of cash from Albany, Buff-Roch would be more of a mess than they are right now. Not so much Roch, but Buffalo!

Last edited by urbanplanner; 07-06-2012 at 01:50 PM..

Old 07-06-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
I got "slammed" by guest-isnjeij who noted that I have an "inferiority complex" and may be from Utica (aka, "hick"). I admit, I over glorified Syracuse a bit, but I agree with your points. I am coming around to your opinion that there seems to be the Buff-Rochcentric view that whats good for Buffalo and Rochester is good for New York State! Well, to use the GM analogy, we all know how that turned out. It is smaller nimble cities that are the future trends. I admit I am biased, but I do not see the level of planning going on in Buffalo and Rochester as there has been in Syracuse.

I'm glad you saw the light. I noticed this in college to. I remember this girl from North Tonawanda who proclaimed she was from "Western New York" and not "Upstate New York." Her way of differentiating the two purported "regions" was upstate was full of farms and cows while "Western New York" had the city of "Buffalo." I had to laugh considering, I would rather live with cows than live in a toxic dump that is much of western Niagara County and the inner ring suburbs of Erie County. My great grandparents moved from the Mohawk Valley to the city of Lockport when they were in their late 70s. What an awful place to spend the remaining years of ones life.

The joke in the more affluent communities like Clarence and East Amherst is that North Tonawanda stands for "NT" meaning "no teeth." In a completely unrelated note, I have never understood why people from Rochester always pronounce their city as "Raaachistir" whereas people from Syracuse with the same dialect say "Rachester". Ironcially, though, most people from both cities pronounce Syracuse as "Sara-cuse." Go figure.

I agree Buffalo has benefited from billions of welfare disguised as economic development aid since the Pataki Administration. Buffalo has an impressive industrial and architectural history, however I can't help but despise the area, its politicians, and the state for giving the region such a disproportionate share of funding, not to mention the latest offering: a new $1 billion slush fund. I wonder if one of the projects will be a museum dedicated to perogies in the heart of Cheektowaga? Maybe a new arena to celebrate Buffalo's unique holiday called Dyngus Day? I couldn't resist. Gues-isnjeri, or whatever jibberish comprises his/her screename is also wrong about Syracuse's population. It is roughly 60% of the Buffalo and Rochester metros not 40%.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 07-06-2012 at 02:09 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 11:16 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
Here we are in a drought that makes Texas look like Vietnam and who gets a project ruined by rain??

Me!!!!

Working outside cause its been so dry why not right?? Laid some polly on 6 AM, go inside for some coffee and what do I hear?? Rain, I'd forgotten what it sounded like. Been dreading what I would find so avoiding it. Only like 50 drops but its crap. Wasn't anything that "needs" to look good but I'm kinda anal about this stuff.

How's everyones lawn doing?? Most peoples are long dead. I quit mowing a Month ago and it held up better then most by getting the dew and I watered the new seeded areas. But this Sunday I had to make the call and no more water. If we don't get a crap load of rain soon everything will be dead here.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:16 PM

City of Syracuse keeping a close eye on Scranton's budget problems : News : CNYcentral.com

Wow..The mayor of Scranton, Pennsylvania has defied a court order by cutting every employee’s pay to minimum wage. Budget Director Mary Vossler is right, everyone will have to come to the table, but I am not sure all those special interests care about the greater good. Granted it is not just a Syracuse problem, but unless consolidation of services, annexation, and 30 year tax-deals are not considered, Syracuse will look more like Scranton. The State will have to come to the table as well, the medicaid mandate is "killing" local communities. Hopefully things will rebound fast enough that austerity measures will not be needed, but don't count on it.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:49 PM

Upstate-ESF biotech center gets new name to reflect it role as biotech business incubator | syracuse.com

The CNY Biotech Research Center is now the Biotech Accelerator, that will serve as a business incubator? Seriously, I thought that was the purpose of the Tech. Garden? Plus, I thought that the CNYBRC was going to assist biotech companies with research and development, not serve as a business inclubator. I swear, I think they make this up as they go along. Unless there is something I am missing, I am very disappointed!

Old 07-11-2012, 01:20 PM

288 posts, read 510,171 times
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it just sits there like Syracuse center of excellence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area