Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 05:52 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
You couldn't pay me 1.6 million to take that house. The wallpaper alone is a deal breaker. I feel sorry for the poor person who has to peel off that mess.
This one is even worse.
House of the Week: U-shaped Manlius home built around pool | syracuse.com

The exterior is pretty nice but the inside looks it was stolen from a house in the Miami suburb of Coral Gables just before Hurricane Andrew hit in 1992. Oddly or perhaps not so oddly enough, the previous owners (the house has since been sold since the newspaper listing) relocated to Boca Raton. I'm sure my elderly relatives in Boca are very jealous of this couple's fine tastes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 05:00 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
FYI - so you don't think there's a real emergency going on at the airport on Sat

Mock disaster drills planned Saturday at Syracuse airport, Kennedy Square housing complex | syracuse.com

Old 08-09-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I concur with the everyone else in saying that it is quite tacky inside. it is probably great in person in terms of the size and what it offers, but the interior needs a makeover.

I'm kind of interested in seeing how the Stevedore Lofts in Oswego look in person. They look nice from what I've seen online. The Sutton Companies | Stevedore Lofts

Stevedore Lofts - Apartments for Rent in Oswego, NY - HotPads
The architect for this project was also behind the residential conversion of the former O.M Edwards Building into the Lofts at Franklin Square and redeveloped the former Glomac Plastics Building into Class A office space called "The Foundry." A good architect and what appears to be a reputable developer, Sutton Cos. should bode well for the success of the project, assuming quality tenants can be found to pay above market rent in Oswego. The close proximity to downtown and being on the West Side of the city near the river are factors that will work in the developer's favor. I think the sophisticated urban design of the units will attract some grad students, assistant and visiting professors, and hopefully some young professionals. If they haven't done so already, I think it would be wise for Sutton Cos. to provide marketing materials to major employers like Pathfinder Bank, Novelis, Oswego Hospital, SUNY Oswego, and local law firms. Even some entry level engineers at the nuclear plants in Scriba may be interested. One of the challenges in attracting and retaining young professionals, emptry nesters, and middle-class people to small industrial cities like Oswego is the perception that desirable housing for single people is lacking. Loft living and more upscale apartments units are a relatively new phenomenon in Oswego. Hopefully this project will be successful and spearhead additional redevelopment

http://mckbuildingassociates.com/stevedore.htm

Old 08-09-2012, 08:49 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
The architect for this project was also behind the residential conversion of the former O.M Edwards Building into the Lofts at Franklin Square and redeveloped the former Glomac Plastics Building into Class A office space called "The Foundry." A good architect and what appears to be a reputable developer, Sutton Cos. should bode well for the success of the project, assuming quality tenants can be found to pay above market rent in Oswego. The close proximity to downtown and being on the West Side of the city near the river are factors that will work in the developer's favor. I think the sophisticated urban design of the units will attract some grad students, assistant and visiting professors, and hopefully some young professionals. If they haven't done so already, I think it would be wise for Sutton Cos. to provide marketing materials to major employers like Pathfinder Bank, Novelis, Oswego Hospital, SUNY Oswego, and local law firms. Even some entry level engineers at the nuclear plants in Scriba may be interested. One of the challenges in attracting and retaining young professionals, emptry nesters, and middle-class people to small industrial cities like Oswego is the perception that desirable housing for single people is lacking. Loft living and more upscale apartments units are a relatively new phenomenon in Oswego. Hopefully this project will be successful and spearhead additional redevelopment

MCK Building Associates
I agree and perhaps even mentioning the nightlife options that are there could even help. There is some public transportation, including a bus that goes to Syracuse. CENTRO OF OSWEGO,CENTRO of OSWEGO Schedules,Oswego Fares,Campus Corner,Laker Shuttle,Commuter Lot Shuttle,Accessible Transportation,Special Events So, I think that should also be included in trying to market the lofts there.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:11 PM

Did anyone see this photo of the mayor and police chief during a recent meeting with constituents on Tipp Hill? I almost fell out of my chair. The mayor looks like a park ranger calling on people with questions and the police chief has this hilarious look of self-reflection.

Mayor Stephanie Miner Meets Public at Burnet Park to Talk about the City | syracuse.com

Old 08-10-2012, 06:08 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
So this bed bug problem in Syracuse, is it only for the locals or do these little suckers travel??

We got a few Syracuse people moving into town here so no doubt they are bringing bedbugs with them. People in single family dwelling are safe I hope.

Just skives me out. Just a news story, 3 days from now I won't even think about it. So glad I don't live in a bigger city although this one is big enough.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
So this bed bug problem in Syracuse, is it only for the locals or do these little suckers travel??

We got a few Syracuse people moving into town here so no doubt they are bringing bedbugs with them. People in single family dwelling are safe I hope.

Just skives me out. Just a news story, 3 days from now I won't even think about it. So glad I don't live in a bigger city although this one is big enough.
It seems to be an issue for some apartment buildings in the city. How are you finding out that people are moving from Syracuse and are bringing bedbugs to Oneida? Many times, you may hear about hotels having them too.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:46 AM

A publication considers the NYS Fair to be one of the top 5 state fairs in the country: CNYBJ

Best State Fairs - Top 5 American State Fairs - Country Living

Old 08-10-2012, 07:18 AM

Well its not a secert people are moving here from Syracuse. Syracuse is shrinking, Oneida is growing. I was wondering if they are bringing bedbugs with them. They prolly are so the larger wonder is if they can get to my house, guessing no but still..........

Hotels/motels are a concern. I stay in a good many of them and its always in the back of my mind. The farther you get from NY the less you hear it mention but any larger city is vulnerable. Except as a historical reference (slept tight, don't let the bedbugs bite) it does not strike me these were a problem as recently as 5 years ago.

Bring back the DDT!!!

Old 08-10-2012, 07:23 AM

I think when people here about the NYS Fair they picture NYC.

I consider the NYS Fair to be the largest drunken gathering of rednecks on Earth for that one week.

I am going this year but please god let the trash stay on the midway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area