Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 09:00 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Well its not a secert people are moving here from Syracuse. Syracuse is shrinking, Oneida is growing. I was wondering if they are bringing bedbugs with them. They prolly are so the larger wonder is if they can get to my house, guessing no but still..........

Hotels/motels are a concern. I stay in a good many of them and its always in the back of my mind. The farther you get from NY the less you hear it mention but any larger city is vulnerable. Except as a historical reference (slept tight, don't let the bedbugs bite) it does not strike me these were a problem as recently as 5 years ago.//www.city-data.com/forum/editp...ost&p=25571089

Bring back the DDT!!!
Not really anymore, as it has slowed down. I still don't understand how you know that the people are coming from Syracuse, but whatever.

As for bedbugs, it was a big thing in NYC and probably spread from there. It looks like it is a national problem to some degree too. Bedbugs Bite Their Way Across the Country - CBS News

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The Bed Bug Resource

Last edited by Yac; 08-23-2012 at 06:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I think when people here about the NYS Fair they picture NYC.

I consider the NYS Fair to be the largest drunken gathering of rednecks on Earth for that one week.

I am going this year but please god let the trash stay on the midway.
I don't think so, as I hardly ever hear about people from Downstate NY going to the Fair. Plus, I don't think that people would think that NYC could host a state fair.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:16 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,456 times
I'm not sure many people from other states realize there is more to NY then the city.

Quote:
I still don't understand how you know that the people are coming from Syracuse, but whatever.
I'll try and explain this as best I can.................

Sean, sees new people move in next door, across the street, new faces at a meeting or whatever. Sean walks towards them, extending his right hand as he approaches them. This is seen as an open show of not having any weapons in my hand and also by extending it outward it shows I don't intend to draw my sword. I then often say "Hi, welcome, I'm Sean". In most cases they will say "Hi Sean, I David(or Mac or Buddy), this is my wife Marie (or gender non-specific soul-mate). Just moved here from Syracuse.......................................... .".

Old 08-10-2012, 01:26 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
Quote:
I'm not sure many people from other states realize there is more to NY then the city.
I couldn't agree with this more.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:

I'll try and explain this as best I can.................

Sean, sees new people move in next door, across the street, new faces at a meeting or whatever. Sean walks towards them, extending his right hand as he approaches them. This is seen as an open show of not having any weapons in my hand and also by extending it outward it shows I don't intend to draw my sword. I then often say "Hi, welcome, I'm Sean". In most cases they will say "Hi Sean, I David(or Mac or Buddy), this is my wife Marie (or gender non-specific soul-mate). Just moved here from Syracuse.......................................... .".
I understand this, but for the NY State Fair, I don't know. You would think if the NYS Fair was in NYC, that many more people would know about it and attend it. I'd also think that the infrastructure of NYC would make it difficult too.

I'm sorry I didn't know about the Syracuse to Oneida movement. My apologies.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:51 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Did anyone see this photo of the mayor and police chief during a recent meeting with constituents on Tipp Hill? I almost fell out of my chair. The mayor looks like a park ranger calling on people with questions and the police chief has this hilarious look of self-reflection.

Mayor Stephanie Miner Meets Public at Burnet Park to Talk about the City | syracuse.com
lol..I'm thinking LPGA tour, police chief is the golf caddy.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:06 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,872 times
Quote:
Well its not a secert people are moving here from Syracuse. Syracuse is shrinking, Oneida is growing. I was wondering if they are bringing bedbugs with them. They prolly are so the larger wonder is if they can get to my house, guessing no but still..........

Hotels/motels are a concern. I stay in a good many of them and its always in the back of my mind. The farther you get from NY the less you hear it mention but any larger city is vulnerable. Except as a historical reference (slept tight, don't let the bedbugs bite) it does not strike me these were a problem as recently as 5 years ago.

Bring back the DDT!!!
Syracuse's population remained flat at approx. 145,000 people per the 2012 census despite predictions of its population falling into the 130,000's, compared to other cities in NYS (rust belt) which is a huge achievement. Granted the City of Oneida (as did the City of Utica) grew and Oneida County gained 500 people, but that pales in comparison to the approx. 8,700 gain in Onondaga County. Overall, it is good news compared to other cities across the northeast and mid-west. Whether that population growth continues remains to be seen.

Central New York halts decline in population, according to latest Census statistics | syracuse.com
Syracuse's population drops slightly while suburbs gain in 2010 Census | syracuse.com
Census update: Rare population increase for Oneida County - Utica, NY - The Observer-Dispatch, Utica, New York

Last edited by urbanplanner; 08-10-2012 at 02:24 PM..

Old 08-10-2012, 02:14 PM

But didn't like 30K of Syracuse's "stable population" come from other countries??

Nothing wrong with that at all but that does leave 30K people to move somewhere else and be "from Syracuse".

I don't knows thousands of people but among people in Oneida that have jobs most all of us are from somewhere else. That somewhere else is of coarse always from within NY and of those places Syracuse is by far the most common.

Most people actually from Oneida are EBT class types and I choose not to associate with that class.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:22 PM

Just thinking that even here most people that are from Syracuse don't actually live there.

I work with prolly half a dozen people from Syracuse and not one of them actually lives in Syracuse.

Even on this board just about all the people that love or hate Syracuse don't actually live in Syracuse.

Off the top of my head of the heavy posters just Clevland Park, Phleon56 and maybe one of the planners.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:26 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
I remember it being a big issue in Philly/NYC in 2010, but then didn't hear much about it. Surprising since we had such a warm winter and now such a hot summer. As I understand, they seem to like warm temperatures.

The sickest most infested Bed Bug job in Syracuse NY - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area