Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 12:13 PM

127 posts, read 271,867 times

Advertisements

Do people upstate call New York City just New York? I have never heard it called just New York before in my life. People at work say it all the time and I have no idea if they mean NYC or the whole state of New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 01:17 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Let me offer, from the "city" perspective.

New York State is dwarfed, population wise, by the number of people who live in the City.

If you live in the Metro area, you say i work in the "City".

If you need to explain to an outsider where you are from, you say New York. You don't need to say city, because the vast majority of New Yorkers live in the City.

If you ask a New York City person something about New York State, you might just as well be talking about Ohio. They know nothing about New York beyond, maybe Westchester. Most of Connecticut doesn't exist, and the only thing New Jersey has is the "Bride and Tunnel" crowd. Beyond New Jersey is California.

"Upstate" is maybe Putnam County. Dutches and Columbia, as well as points north and west are the wild frontier, and there is no reason to know about, or go there.

New York ALWAYS refers to the City. When Syracusians say 'the city' i just chuckle inside. They have no idea, for the most part.

New York is the City. New York State is generally referred to as 'upstate' even though it encompasses nearly 95% of the land area.

Please, i am just informing. I am not judging. There is ignorance on both sides of the conversation.

Now, if you want to talk about where the tax dollars get collected, and spent, well.....that will really polarize the dialogue.

P.S. Grew up in a small town...500 persons or so...lived in the City for many years. Not telling you where i live now.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:04 PM

107 posts, read 219,452 times
Funny that hasn't been my experience at all, locally I and most people i know refer to NYC as "the city" or just the acronym "N, Y, C"

Whenever i'm anywhere outside of the state or traveling abroad i think it's generally accepted that when you hear New York, that they're talking about the city. And when i introduce myself as being from New York, they go "ooooh, nice"....then i have to clarify, haha.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:25 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,699 times
Because we're already IN New York state. NYC is New York or The City.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:52 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,209 times
Default I Love New York; and that's the State! - including New York City

I live in Syracuse Suburbs.

When I say New York, I mean New York State. If I am talking about NYC then I say New York City.

I realize that many people from New York City think there's only ONE New York but all they have to do is look at a map of that huge landmass north of Westchester & Rockland Counties to see NEW YORK! New York City may have the largest population BUT New York has 47,224 square miles of territory most of it north of New York City.

When I'm in a distant State and I say New York, some of those people think, "Oh, New York City". I just correct them because I'm proud of Metro Syracuse. Other out of State people will say, "Where in New York?" (meaning State) and I say Syracuse in the center - heart of New York. There are MANY CITIES in New York, not just ONE. Actually, I prefer Boston, Toronto, San Francisco, & Chicago to NYC. But New York City is okay.

Last edited by grdnrman; 04-29-2011 at 03:01 PM..

Old 04-29-2011, 03:15 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,050 times
The same thing happens in California. Northern California and Southern California might as well be separate states. The have very little in common. To people who live in Los Angeles, they are the only part of the state that matters and the rest might as well be Oregon. Same thing with people from New York City. Anything outside of Albany might as well be a different state since nothing outside of the city has any worth.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:09 PM

I bring this up because I have never heard any downstaters call NYC New York. We either say The City or New York City.

Up here I don't think I have heard it called anything but New York. It's annoying.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:25 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,099 times
Personally I call it "The City" but I have several friends from "The City" that live here so I picked it up from from them.

I was amazed that to them "The City" is not the city but only Manhattan.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:27 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imj7 View Post
I bring this up because I have never heard any downstaters call NYC New York. We either say The City or New York City.

Up here I don't think I have heard it called anything but New York. It's annoying.
Does it equally annoy you when central NY'ers call Syracuse... Syracuse? That IS it's name, after all. No one addresses NYC as "New York City, New York." Why be so annoyed by hearing a city called by its proper name?

Old 04-29-2011, 04:37 PM

It probably shouldn't annoy me as much as it does. I guess I'm just not used to it, and it's pretty confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area