Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 04:52 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,050 times

Advertisements

The Syracuse board is slow as it is with not very many posters. Dividing the forums even more will only make the existing boards die off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 04:58 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
The Syracuse board is slow as it is with not very many posters. Dividing the forums even more will only make the existing boards die off.
I see a lot of posts for places in the Mohawk Valley in the general NY forum and not in Syracuse. Same with the Southern Tier. I wish there was one for the Adirondacks!

Old 08-10-2011, 05:25 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
They tried to get a Hudson Valley/Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown forum. They asked forum members, but it didn't get anywhere.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
They tried to get a Hudson Valley/Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown forum. They asked forum members, but it didn't get anywhere.
That's really too bad! I see TONS of posts for that area.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:32 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,209 times
Default More Forums. More Interest. More Voices.

Quote:
I do not agree with either of your statements. I don't believe that it's the NUMBER of INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS that are registered on a specific Area Forum that matters to the Moderators; it's the amount of ACTIVITY that determines whether a CITY or REGION has enough Questions, Inquiries, Answers, Discussion, Activity to warrant a Separate Forum. The Syracuse Forum activity is not slow when compared with other New York State Forums. Syracuse has MORE ACTIVITY than either Rochester or Albany regardless of how many INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS are registered to those City Forums.

Data as of Aug. 11, 2011:

City...........................................Thr eads.............Posts

SYRACUSE....................................1,141. ............16,135

ROCHESTER..................................1,047.. ........... 12,029

ALBANY/CAPITAL DISTRICT CITIES.......918...............6,183

BUFFALO.......................................1,55 6.............20,397

WESTCHESTER...............................2,680... ..........19,579

Establishing separate forums for 2 more REGIONS of New York State will NOT make the existing forums "die-off". What 2 more forums would ACTUALLY do is consolidate a group of individual people/their voices living in cities/towns of that particular REGION TOGETHER to discuss common regional themes/concerns/information RATHER THAN having those people/voices "SCATTERED" "DISPERSED" throughout the General New York State Forum, interspersed among a multitude of other cities/towns. Cities that are too small like Utica or Binghamton, should be given "REGIONAL FORUMS" which could be named Utica/Rome/Mohawk Valley AND Binghamton/Southern Tier; those forums would include ALL the nearby regional cities/towns/counties. The Syracuse, Rochester, Albany Area Forums would NOT be affected at all by a Mohawk Valley OR Southern Tier Forum. When someone has a question/comment about Herkimer and asks that question on the Syracuse or Albany Forums, that question will be moved to the General NY State Forum by Moderators anyway, therefore NOT AFFECTING the Syr. or Alb. Forums. A couple of days ago, an Inquirer asked about a Watertown subject on the Syracuse Forum and the Moderators moved it to the General NY State Forum=in effect, having no RESULT to the Syracuse Forum because that question was not going to remain on the Syr. Forum in any case.

I do not believe that the Syracuse Forum is "slow" NOR will "die off", if or when City-Data Moderators give more people living in the Mohawk Valley OR in the Southern Tier their own Forums in which to discuss THEIR non-Syracuse, non-Albany interests.

grdnrman

Old 08-11-2011, 10:48 AM

TLDR.
I bet if you add post count from all of those areas, it still wouldn't add up to the post count of a major city. That is why they don't think there is a large enough demand to split them into additional boards.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
TLDR.
I bet if you add post count from all of those areas, it still wouldn't add up to the post count of a major city. That is why they don't think there is a large enough demand to split them into additional boards.
How would we know? You have to go on a hunting mission to find them! Also I have wanted to post things, but not want to post in the general NY forum so I didn't bother. It's really a pain going through the general NY forum. So much of it is about NYC.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:09 AM

They could always follow the Craigslist breakdown. Seems to work for them.
albany
binghamton
buffalo
catskills
chautauqua
elmira-corning
finger lakes
glens falls
hudson valley
ithaca
long island
new york city
oneonta
plattsburgh-adirondacks
potsdam-canton-massena
rochester
syracuse
twin tiers NY/PA
utica-rome-oneida
watertown

Old 08-11-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
How would we know? You have to go on a hunting mission to find them! Also I have wanted to post things, but not want to post in the general NY forum so I didn't bother. It's really a pain going through the general NY forum. So much of it is about NYC.
I couldn't have said it better ss20ts!!! The mixed up mess of cities/towns all across New York State that DON'T have their own Region/City Forum DISCOURAGES people FROM Posting Inquiries and from bothering to REPLY to something another Poster has placed in the General New York State Forum. You have to read through 300 or MORE postings in the General New York Forum in order to find a few Posts from your local region; so my attitude would be, "why bother Posting anything, no one is going to look through this mess of cities & towns, I got better things to do than sort-out these Posts for the City-Data Officials when THEY could establish Regional Forums for large Regions such as Utica/Rome/Mohawk Valley Forum AND Binghamton/Corning/Southern Tier Forum".

You are "right-on" ss20ts; you're absolutely correct.

grdnrman

Old 08-11-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
They could always follow the Craigslist breakdown. Seems to work for them.
albany
binghamton
buffalo
catskills
chautauqua
elmira-corning
finger lakes
glens falls
hudson valley
ithaca
long island
new york city
oneonta
plattsburgh-adirondacks
potsdam-canton-massena
rochester
syracuse
twin tiers NY/PA
utica-rome-oneida
watertown
That may work for Craigslist but we are on City-Data where the C-D Officials have ALREADY ESTABLISHED the FORUMS composition throughout all the States. If the C-D Officials don't want to establish Forums for the Utica/Rome/Mohawk Valley Region or the Binghamton/Corning/Southern Tier Region, I would hazard a guess that they would NOT be inclined to establish EVEN SMALLER divisions as shown in the above list. ?? A separate HEADING or forum for the SINGLE County of Chautauqua ?? Are Ogdensburg & Batavia & Little Falls & Amsterdam & Gouverneur & Niagara Falls NOT supposed to Post on City-Data ?? Schenectady, where are you ?? Those names don't seem to be on the above Craigslist. It sounded like you did not support the idea of a Utica/Rome/Mohawk Valley Forum but I see that you listed a HEADING or forum for the Hudson Valley?? It also sounded like you did not support a Binghamton/Corning/Southern Tier Forum but you have SEPARATE Headings or Forums for Binghamton & Elmira & Corning & Oneonta which would ALL be a part of a Binghamton/Southern Tier Forum?? I'm trying to figure out the logic of why the Craigslist method would be better or work at all on City-Data.

The current City-Data Forum composition seems to be either> #1--a single WHOLE STATE FORUM for small population states OR #2--a FORUM for one single large population Metro City OR #3--a grouping of cities/towns/counties within one certain area with similar interests/concerns combined into ONE SINGLE REGION FORUM=such as Utica/Rome/Mohawk Valley OR Binghamton/Corning/Southern Tier.

I prefer the current City-Data Forums composition to what you show as the Craigslist method. There simply needs to be Forums established for the Utica/Rome/Mohawk Valley Region AND the Binghamton/Corning/Southern Tier Region which follows the method that City-Data already has in effect across the U.S. Forums.

AND yes ss20ts, I understand your enthusiasm for an Adirondack Forum=Regional Forums can work with enough support; but the General New York State Forum DISCOURAGES people FROM participating on City-Data AT ALL.

grdnrman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area