Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 06:17 AM

10 posts, read 9,719 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
My husband may be starting a residency position at SUNY Upstate on July 1st. The scary thing is that I am 4 months pregnant and we don't know anyone. If someone could fill us in on what areas are good for families in terms of renting homes etc... that would be great. Also, are there things like Gymboree or play groups for infants? I am also finishing up my masters in acupuncture and I'm curious about the market for alternative medicine in Syracuse.
Thanks so much!
Alyson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 06:38 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,699 times
Look around Westcott - but you'll likely find out more about the community from this site.

Reasonable rent, VERY close to Upstate (your husband could jump on the University/Hospital bus and be there in 5ish minutes), it's a natural/hippie/crunchy/culturally-diverse kind of area - lots of neat ethnic places, co-op grocery, a great music facility for shows, etc. And there's a physicians' office of your kind of discipline just east of there, on East Genesee St. by the Syracuse/Dewitt border. That's just one *I* have [positive] experience with, however... there are many others.

There are plenty of opportunities nearby for parents and babies... moms' groups of all kinds and kid/baby places/gyms. You'll come across them easily. Too many to link. lol

I'm not sure what your preferences are but if you want information about homebirth and/or midwives, cloth diaper sources, farmers' markets, etc., let me know.

Last edited by proulxfamily; 06-21-2011 at 06:46 AM..

Old 06-21-2011, 07:26 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,816 times
I agree about the Westcott area. Generally speaking you'll find the more desirable rentals in that area (if you can find something at this time of year) to be east of Westcott Street and south of Harvard Place. There are always exceptions but I know the area very very well and that is a useful location reference with which to start you search. You could move outwards from there and once you're past Euclid Ave you can also consider everything that is west of Westcott up to Comstock and all the way out through the Comstock neighborhood (due south of SU) or anything south and east of Westcott and Euclid all the way out into Dewitt.

Traffic is a non-issue in Syracuse and you might also consider the Strathmore area on the outer West side. I think there is a Gymboree but don't recall where it is.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:15 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
There's a Gymboree in Carousel Center and on Erie Boulevard East. Babies R Us is near Carousel Center too. There's also a My Gym on Erie Boulevard East.

As for acupuncture information, this should help: acupuncture syracuse area - Google Search

Here are some good publications too: Syracuse Parent and CNY Family

Family Times is an award-winning magazine with staff-written news, feature stories and artwork that inform and inspire Central New York parents and their children. - Home

Old 06-21-2011, 01:44 PM

Does anyone have any apartment complexes they are willing to recommend? We like newer construction with amenities. I was looking at some loft apartments downtown that looked nice.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:46 PM

Downtown and Franklin Square in Syracuse has newer apartments.

In the suburbs, Clayton Manor and Ravada Hill Apartments in the Liverpool area are or have newer apartments. It depends on where you want to be and what you want close by.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:21 PM

Anybody know anything about the Hawley Green Area? I see an apartment listed there that I am very interested in.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:26 PM

It is a somewhat gentrified working poor/class neighborhood that has been marketed as a "gayborhood" as well. It has plenty of historic homes as well.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:29 PM

so you would not recommend it?

Old 06-21-2011, 03:48 PM

Personally, no. I'm thinking something like Rugby Square Apartments off of Teall Ave. might be more to your liking and it's in a good location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area