Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 06:53 PM

149 posts, read 458,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grdnrman View Post
Hi madmj,

Your Lab looks like my dark Chocolate Lab. I also have a fox-red Lab. Take good care of your senior Lab; our pets only have us to look out for them. Because of urban traffic I always keep my dogs in my fenced yard or on a long yard chain, both for their safety.
Great minds think alike!!

Our Lab is literally a family member. She gets far better health care than I do. She gets 2 walks a day to keep her hips moving & the muscle strong. We always keep her on a leash but I do appreciate your concern/warning. I wish everybody felt the way you do about their pets that's for sure. Keep up the good work!

BTW -Does anybody happen to know if there are places where I could take my dog swimming during the warmer months? It's great low impact exercise for building muscle on her hips....plus she's a Lab and is addicted to the water!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 08:26 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Maybe this could help point you in the right direction: Veterinary Medical Center, Central New York: Emergency, Specialty & Critical Care: East Syracuse, NY

Hydrotherapy in Dogs Syracuse NY - Syracuse NY, Hydrotherapy in Dogs, Syracuse NY dog health, Syracuse NY pet hospitals, Syracuse NY dog care tips, Syracuse NY dog massage (http://local.petplace.com/Hydrotherapy_in_Dogs_Syracuse_NY-r1312308-Syracuse_NY.html - broken link)

Old 06-26-2011, 09:43 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,492 times
Default Multiple SF Home Listings For You

Hi madmj,

Good info ckhthankgod. Our pets deserve good care for their devotion to us.

madmj = be sure to read my direct private message to you which continues my list of SF Home rentals for your consideration. I think at least 3 of the total home listings I've given you, if not more, would work well for you. In my message, I've indicated my personal choice for you because it's a one-floor ranch with No steps for your senior Lab dog to have to climb and hurt her hips/cause her pain.

One home you mentioned to me, is not in good condition when I looked at it. Of course, you are at a distance away from Syracuse so you didn't/don't know that. I would cross-off that house from your list/consideration; it's a waste of your time.

Well, best of luck when you get to Syracuse to see the homes. I'm sure that you will like some home that you tour.

Sincerely, ..........grdnrman

Old 06-30-2011, 01:12 PM

845 posts, read 1,688,126 times
Crawford Ave is a definite yes if you like the house and it's still available. I'm biased because I live in the Meadowbrook neighborhood (one street up from Crawford.) Easy access to SU Law (6 minutes by car and a brisk 20 minute walk on foot) and also convenient to the Westcott neighborhood, the Food Co-op and a very quick drive to downtown for events and dining at Armory Square (7 to 8 minute drive to downtown.)

Clairmonte Ave is on the edge fo Strathmore. There are beautiful homes there and Strathmore is a great area but it's less convenient to SU (more or less have to drive across town and through the 'hood to get to SU. I have long time family friends who've lived on Clairmonte for 60 years and other friends on nearby Summit Ave. None have had problems with the neighborhood but it's literally a block or so to a fairly dicey area and some folks don't feel comfortable with that kind of adjacency.

One of those rental links is for a house in Eastwood on Glencove Road. Eastwood has a few minor issues here and there but most of it is very nice including all of Glencove Road and the streets that it intersects. It's more blue collar in feel than Meadowbrook area or Strathmore (with the exception of a few (Eastwood neighborhoods like Twin Hills Drive.)

if you don't have luck with any of your options this far you might try calling Marie Leo real Estate or Drucker Real Estate. I think one or both occasionally has houses available for rent that they either own or act as agents for. Both are long time local businesses with solid reputations.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:18 PM

I wanted to pop in again to thank you all for such wonderful information. We just returned home from our trip and, although I'm a bit tired, I'm very hopeful and excited that we found what we were looking for. All 3 posters here have my utmost appreciation and respect for all of your wonderful help & advice. I think (and hope) that this was a success.....just don't know for sure yet as we are still waiting on our application. Thanks so much again!!!!!!

BTW - Dinosaur BBQ Kicks major Butt!

Old 07-06-2011, 11:22 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,492 times
Default Syracuse Single Family Home Rental & Dinosaur BBQ Restaurant

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmj View Post
I wanted to pop in again to thank you all for such wonderful information. We just returned home from our trip and, although I'm a bit tired, I'm very hopeful and excited that we found what we were looking for. All 3 posters here have my utmost appreciation and respect for all of your wonderful help & advice. I think (and hope) that this was a success.....just don't know for sure yet as we are still waiting on our application. Thanks so much again!!!!!!

BTW - Dinosaur BBQ Kicks major Butt!
Hi madmj,

I'm glad to hear that you had a nice trip to Syracuse and were able to see the SF Homes that we/us members suggested to you. I hope that one of the homes you applied for will be approved for you. Nice/good single family rental homes in safe decent neighborhoods are not always easy to find here in Metro Syracuse.

You liked Dinosaur BBQ. Its a landmark, a must visit, very popular, a unique restaurant/bar in Syracuse. Glad you had a chance to enjoy the Dinosaur BBQ!

Best wishes to you for successful Law studies at Syracuse University.

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 07-06-2011 at 11:38 AM..

Old 07-06-2011, 11:37 AM

Indeed - best wishes for a successful law career and an enjoyable stay in Syracuse. Dinosaur BBQ still hits the right notes on some things but for those of us who frequented it in its early years it has declined a great deal. If you're more focused on the food and okay with a more generic atmosphere there's a new BBQ place in the village of Camillus - about a 15 minute drive from Syracuse. Krabby Kirk's has been open for six months and absolutely rocks in terms of food - highly recommended.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:22 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
Indeed - best wishes for a successful law career and an enjoyable stay in Syracuse. Dinosaur BBQ still hits the right notes on some things but for those of us who frequented it in its early years it has declined a great deal. If you're more focused on the food and okay with a more generic atmosphere there's a new BBQ place in the village of Camillus - about a 15 minute drive from Syracuse. Krabby Kirk's has been open for six months and absolutely rocks in terms of food - highly recommended.
According to WSYR-TV, the owner purchased two adjacent buildings to house an expanded restaurant. Should be nice boost to the village's business district.

What

Old 07-06-2011, 12:45 PM

Our server told me he is already at work on renovations. wants to expand first floor bar area, add an upstairs dining room and a larger first floor dining area etc. Smart move as they have plenty of seating with the covered deck but they'll be very crowded come winter if they don't add more inside space.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:28 PM

Thank you all for the well wishes...and even more for the BBQ suggestions!

We L-O-V-E BBQ and are definitely more interested in the actual food. We did like Dinosaur a lot but I can imagine that it's not a place that long time locals may frequent....long wait times even for lunch. We are both foodies so any other good spots anybody wants to throw out will surely be noted and supported upon our arrival.

I'm also happy to announce that we have been accepted and will be moving in early August. Super pumped!

Also, just sold my car and purchased a used Ford Ranger 4x4...I'm coming prepared!

Are there any recommendations for cheapish places to buy winter clothes? Are there Goodwills up there? Normally I purchase my clothes from Cabellas website so I think I will start there but I'm open to any suggestions as welll.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH AGAIN! You have really helped my family and I beyond expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area