Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:17 AM

845 posts, read 1,688,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
That's exactly right. The made-up administrative jobs constitute a huge burden. Each school has a half-dozen administrators, and the high schools have twice that. I know people in older generations remember having a principal, maybe two, in school. Ours was nothing like that. The SCSD alone is spending millions of dollars a year in salary for dead weight.
It's not just the administrative jobs at the schools. There are made-up jobs at the SCSD offices that also provide a haven for people who need to look for some other line of work.

Historically the function of a high school guidance counselor is to assist students in planning their schedules to accommodate their future direction. This includes assisting non college-bound students with selecting good vocation paths and also working with the college-bound students on curriculum planning, college selection and the admissions process. When my dad was a guidance counselor at Nottingham High School in the 1960s there were 1200 students - 94% of whom went on to college. There was "Boys Counselor" and a "Girls Counselor" who handled the entire workload and shared one secretary. Now... with far fewer students, only a small percentage of them going on to college, and a fairly large percentage not even finishing their high school degree..... they have four or five counselers and a small office staff? This type of fluff and unnecessary surplus personnel is mirrored throughout the district and the state. Cutting back on the number of teachers is the wrong approach - the real waste is behind the scenes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 09:41 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
It's not just the administrative jobs at the schools. There are made-up jobs at the SCSD offices that also provide a haven for people who need to look for some other line of work.

Historically the function of a high school guidance counselor is to assist students in planning their schedules to accommodate their future direction. This includes assisting non college-bound students with selecting good vocation paths and also working with the college-bound students on curriculum planning, college selection and the admissions process. When my dad was a guidance counselor at Nottingham High School in the 1960s there were 1200 students - 94% of whom went on to college. There was "Boys Counselor" and a "Girls Counselor" who handled the entire workload and shared one secretary. Now... with far fewer students, only a small percentage of them going on to college, and a fairly large percentage not even finishing their high school degree..... they have four or five counselers and a small office staff? This type of fluff and unnecessary surplus personnel is mirrored throughout the district and the state. Cutting back on the number of teachers is the wrong approach - the real waste is behind the scenes.
Not that I think it takes away from your point - but Nottingham at least does not have "far fewer students." School is still in the 1200-1400 student range. Beyond that point, whether they make it through or not all students have to go through the guidance office annually for scheduling.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:32 AM

1200 to 1400 students in four grades vs. 1200 students in three grades (the way it used to be.) I understand your point but each student typically gets only one academic planning session during their four years - two at the most. That's how it was when I attended Nottingham. I remain baffled as to why they need such a large counseling staff there and at other city schools.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:50 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,212 times
Quote:
1200 to 1400 students in four grades vs. 1200 students in three grades (the way it used to be.) I understand your point but each student typically gets only one academic planning session during their four years - two at the most. That's how it was when I attended Nottingham. I remain baffled as to why they need such a large counseling staff there and at other city schools.
At least as of 1999-2003 (my time there), the planning sessions were annual (mostly cursory, but still annual) to plan the next year's class schedule.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:54 AM

I don't think we had annual sessions when I attended Nottingham but it was nearly 40 years ago and some details don't stick in my memory - that's probably one of them.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:31 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:

My high school had 2 guidance counselors for less than 400 students. They never gave me a single idea of what to do about college. They both told me there's books out there for you too look through and figure it out. Gee, thanks! So glad you're getting paid to do nothing.

I can't even imagine one of them doing what happened when your dad was a counselor. I wonder how much more was actually accomplished. It was very hard finding colleges before the internet that offered what I wanted. Finding out tuition and what not was such a difficult and time consuming thing. I bet he was a heck of a lot more useful than my GC and he actually earned his paycheck.....crazy idea! I wondered what happened to the kids who had no college plans. Judging by how much I was on my on in my search, I can only imagine what they were told......maybe something along the lines of, "Find a McDonald's."

Old 07-13-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
My high school had 2 guidance counselors for less than 400 students. They never gave me a single idea of what to do about college. They both told me there's books out there for you too look through and figure it out. Gee, thanks! So glad you're getting paid to do nothing.

I can't even imagine one of them doing what happened when your dad was a counselor. I wonder how much more was actually accomplished. It was very hard finding colleges before the internet that offered what I wanted. Finding out tuition and what not was such a difficult and time consuming thing. I bet he was a heck of a lot more useful than my GC and he actually earned his paycheck.....crazy idea! I wondered what happened to the kids who had no college plans. Judging by how much I was on my on in my search, I can only imagine what they were told......maybe something along the lines of, "Find a McDonald's."
Yes he did earn his paycheck. He visited colleagues regularly, learned what the culture was like at various schools, assessed the academic capabilities and personality of his students before suggesting specific schools, and also maintained connections with admissions people at various colleges. If a kid was borderline on getting accepted my dad was known for picking up the phone or writing a letter to his admissions contacts to tip the balance in favor of that student. He also routinely recommended starting at community college and then transferring to a four year school for students who seemed to lack direction or hadn't yet gotten serious about academics (even when their parents could afford to foot the bill for any four year school of their choice.)

He was a high school dropout who went to get his GED at age 26 and was convinced by the GED teacher to go to college. He went to school full time while working 50 hours per week on the New York Central Railroad, got his BS and MA and became a teacher. Nearly always worked two jobs from the time he was 15 until he retired at age 66. Never once heard him complain about it not did he question the fact that his three older sisters (all married and lifetime stay-at-home housewives) did not jump in to help my grandparents when they were old and infirm. I only hope that I can live up to his example in my life - even in some small measure.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:37 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Yes he did earn his paycheck. He visited colleagues regularly, learned what the culture was like at various schools, assessed the academic capabilities and personality of his students before suggesting specific schools, and also maintained connections with admissions people at various colleges. If a kid was borderline on getting accepted my dad was known for picking up the phone or writing a letter to his admissions contacts to tip the balance in favor of that student. He also routinely recommended starting at community college and then transferring to a four year school for students who seemed to lack direction or hadn't yet gotten serious about academics (even when their parents could afford to foot the bill for any four year school of their choice.)

He was a high school dropout who went to get his GED at age 26 and was convinced by the GED teacher to go to college. He went to school full time while working 50 hours per week on the New York Central Railroad, got his BS and MA and became a teacher. Nearly always worked two jobs from the time he was 15 until he retired at age 66. Never once heard him complain about it not did he question the fact that his three older sisters (all married and lifetime stay-at-home housewives) did not jump in to help my grandparents when they were old and infirm. I only hope that I can live up to his example in my life - even in some small measure.
WOW! Your dad certainly worked VERY hard and definitely earned his paychecks. Too bad we can't clone him and send him into schools to help the kids who aren't getting help nowadays. I can't even begin to imagine how little sleep the man had for 50+ years. He definitely was busting his butt!

Old 07-13-2011, 11:47 AM

Yes. He earned every second of his retirement. I just wish his health was better so he could enjoy it more but, as he often now tells me, "it's not easy getting old."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area