Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:22 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times

Advertisements

Homer has a Green as a leftover from early New England settlers, the former Baptist church on it is now http://www.center4art.org, another still a church is UCC but still calls itself "Congregational" Home. The village is fairly quiet (bypassed by I-81 and NY 281), sitting atop a sole-source aquifer that should be safe from the coming gas fracking, and it with adjacent Cortland has a home-grown low-key arts/culture scene - overshadowed perhaps by Ithaca's, but much more comfortable for Libertarians than Ithaca's loony leftism. Equidistant from Cornell and Syracuse universities, within an hour (usually) of Binghamton and (in good weather) Colgate. Also scores of miles of maintained footpaths for hiking in the county - generally part of the somewhat mis-named Finger Lakes Trail system http://www.fingerlakestrail.org Still has locally-owned if not super-fancy media http://www.wxhc.com/ and http://www.cortlandstandard.net/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 09:04 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post

Heat shouldn't be a problem. Its stays in the 90's a couple Months but thats about it. Over a 100 is super rare. BUT, humidity is very high here. Its always muggy here. It can be 75 and you'll be sweating. That moisture in the air is also a problem in Winter, the dampness makes it feel much colder then it is. If humidity really bothers you stay as far away from NY as you can. Thats your call.
Being a transplant that most recently came from Hawaii (and Florida before that) I do not agree with this statement on weather. This is my third year here and this past summer was the first without AC - temps in my apartment never got above that high... I was perfectly fine without AC and besides our random 3-day heat-wave, nothing was "unbearable." And also as a note, being from HI and FL, I have fared the winters very well! I have to note that I am SO excited for Fall this year! After being here a few years, I don't think there could be another more perfect season than fall

Old 09-10-2011, 06:07 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
I didn't say it gets hot. I love hot and we certainly don't get enough hot. The humidity I don't like one bit but its kind of a background annoyance but the OP said they hate muggy so to them I bet it will be a problem. I have never had AC except to sleep, just can't sleep in the heat anymore.

To me the Sun is life. I sit there at high noon at the break table and just soak it up. I'll take a 100 with 100% over what we got coming in about 2 weeks anyday. I'll be outside enjoying Fall these next couple weeks like crazy. Cause with October comes the gloom and while some people like dark and gloomy I am not one of them.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:55 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,313 times
I agree, if the OP hates muggy they may a problem with NY humidity. It definitely doesn't get hot here. But when it is 75 degrees outside and you feel as if you need another shower - it IS muggy. However, I think most places in the northeast can get pretty muggy so I don't think it is worse than anywhere else up here. And to someone who has lived most of their life in the south, I'm sure it would be nothing. So I guess it's all relative.

I completely agree with previous posts with suggestions of towns/cities. CNY is beautiful and has some charming towns. Good luck with your search!

Old 09-10-2011, 07:02 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I didn't say it gets hot. I love hot and we certainly don't get enough hot. The humidity I don't like one bit but its kind of a background annoyance but the OP said they hate muggy so to them I bet it will be a problem.
Really? I don't feel like it's overly muggy here. I've lived in a few different places and, to me, NY doesn't seem any more muggy than any other place. Sure, there were a few days this summer but I really didn't notice much more than that.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:21 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Really? I don't feel like it's overly muggy here. I've lived in a few different places and, to me, NY doesn't seem any more muggy than any other place. Sure, there were a few days this summer but I really didn't notice much more than that.
Maybe I'm just a baby about humidity, lol! That is entirely possible.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:28 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamin71 View Post
I agree, if the OP hates muggy they may a problem with NY humidity. It definitely doesn't get hot here. But when it is 75 degrees outside and you feel as if you need another shower - it IS muggy. However, I think most places in the northeast can get pretty muggy so I don't think it is worse than anywhere else up here. And to someone who has lived most of their life in the south, I'm sure it would be nothing. So I guess it's all relative.

I completely agree with previous posts with suggestions of towns/cities. CNY is beautiful and has some charming towns. Good luck with your search!
Agreed. People in the south seem to have a different view of humidity than we do. Friends of mine live and work in the Triangle and were up here to visit DURING our awful heat wave. It was 82 degrees at 9pm and I was miserable. They were saying how comfortable it was. I don't think I've ever felt so soaked with humidity but they were completely fine. lol - it's all relative.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:33 AM

I don't know anything about Hi but I know alot about Florida. And Florida is muggy, about the same as NY. 100% is 100% wherever you are.

Have you ever been where its dry?? Out West were its 100 degrees with near zero humidity?? It feels great. With a NY mind(or Florida) you see the weather and think oh great its a 100 but when you get outside its actually very nice. To me 100+ out West is about the same feeling as 75ish in NY. As was said above in NY I feel like I need a shower all the time.

There are several reasons why Texas has a 25% growth rate and NY is at or below the birthrate. The NY humidity may not be mentioned by name but you didn't really think 25 million people were standing around sweating and stinking like NYer's did you??

The humidity is 100% of the reason I will never live in Florida again. Those temps I would love but the humidity is death to me. NC is only slightly better. The whole East is a swamp.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:38 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
I think our area is fortunate, as far as bugs go... which is a HUGE issue with humidity. Yes- the entire east coast is humid. BUT- the south has bugs I have NEVER seen in CNY. lol. And my ILs, on the NH/VT border, have black flies. They HURT. You're already feeling prickly because of the humidity... but not noticing the first landing of some horrible insect because you think it's just the wetness in the air? Worse.

I'll take mosquitoes on a few REALLY humid days of the summer over the other two options *any day.*

Old 09-10-2011, 07:44 AM

On the note about bugs................

First NY is GROUND ZERO for black flies. My parents camp was in Forestport and gawd I hated Spring up there.

BUt everyday lately on the news I been hearing about another mosquitoe caused death, mostly horses. I'm not even gonna attemp to spell the name but if you hear news at all you know the ones. Is this something I should be worried about?? I can never be sure. I have no horses but I do have dawgs and this area has a huge problem with skeeters. They been pretty mild this year due I guess to having drought and gully washers killing the nests maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area