Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaara View Post
Thank you. Great info! What about Lincoln Park, Hawley-Green area, Liverpool, or or other Syracuse areas. Also, can you or anyone else recommend any suburban neighborhood that take me no longer then 20 mins to get to Community General. Feel free to recommend any areas that you like. I am open minded, I very little about Syracuse.
Perhaps the Onondaga Boulevard area near Westhill High has grocery stores, a pharmacy, some restaurants and stores(Western Lights Plaza), with apartments across the street from the HS. There aren't any sidewalks on Onondaga Boulevard, but there is enough room to walk along the street. Tipperary Hill closer to Solvay would put you in between a pharmacy and Westvale Plaza, which has a Tops Market, restaurants(inc. a great Chinese spot), a fitness center and hardware store. Both areas are closer to Community General.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 11:15 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
Here's my write-up on the Village of Liverpool. There are sidewalks all through the Village and it's very safe. We also have a grocery store and liquor store (Nichols)... although no Asian market in the Village.

//www.city-data.com/forum/syrac...l#post19542928

Old 09-12-2011, 12:21 PM

845 posts, read 1,687,962 times
I am biased towards the East side and Outer University area although there is a limited amount of rental housing areas that would meet your criteria. You just had bad luck of the draw with that cab driver. Yes there are pockets of poverty throughout the city but very few areas where I would not feel comfortable walking alone during daylight hours and not that many more where I'd feel that way after dark. Asian food stores for Vietnamese/Cambodian/Laotian are all on the near north side - one of the poverty prone and more run down areas that you may have seen. Chinese, Indian, Korean, Japanese and Thai food products are readily available on Erie Blvd with as many as four or more such specialty stores. If you can find a rental flat on outer Fellows Ave or perhaps outer Lancaster, Roosevelt Ave or Broad Street it would be optimal and would meet your desire for hardwood floors and walkable sidewalks in the neighborhood. The Real Food Co-op is walkable from all those areas. The Westcott area might fit your needs - it is adjacent to the aforementioned neighborhoods areas but the neighborhood varies by street. Rental apartments (and in many cases single family homes) in blocks just off Westcott have a high concentration of undergraduate university students - okay with some folks not others. Once you go east of Westcott on Euclid and further south off Euclid on the side streets the mix of students to regular folks shifts towards fewer students.

Although it won't have hardwood floors I think that the Maplewood complex on Tecumseh Road just off Nottingham might be a good fit. It's about a 10 minute drive to the Erie Blvd shopping, a maximum of 20 minutes to Community Hospital driving "the nice way" and 15 minutes if you cut across town through "the 'hood." My girlfriend is of Jamaican descent and spent her high school years living just off South Salina Street in "the 'hood." She now lives in Onondaga Hill just past Community Hospital and works in Skaneateles (upscale suburban village on a lake) but when she drives over to visit me in the Meadowbrook area (very close to the Maplewood complex) she always drives 'the nice way" whereas I take the shortcut when I drive to her place. Go figure (I think the pertinent point is that I am a big and tall man who is careful but not concerned about taking care of myself in the event of something a car breakdown - whereas she remains mindful of the additional precautions that all women should consider when traveling alone.

One thing it is helpful to understand about Syracuse; we do have some areas that look and really are a bit run down, but in most if not all cases they are far safer than the rougher parts of large cities that may look "okay" but really aren't.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:02 PM

580 posts, read 1,173,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
you're really only left with the lower part of the University area... around East Genesee. Which isn't the best area. Not somewhere I'd be AFRAID to live... but I would definitely be on alert.
That's exactly where I live, and I wouldn't say it's the sort of place where one needs to be "on alert." Not, at least, any more than one needs to be anywhere in Upstate New York.

Midtown is a little shy on some amenities, but does have decent restaurants, bars, and corner-store-type markets (more South Asian than East Asian, but there is one very good Korean restaurant). It's as walkable as anyplace, within ten blocks of both downtown and University Hill. Hasn't got a great neighborhood feel, though, and with a ton of construction going on, it's not the most attractive neighborhood around, either.

Downtown might be a better fit for a couple reasons, not least of which is housing stock that is vastly superior to that in Midtown. Undergraduate university students are not always the best neighbors, either.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:03 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Here's a good article about Asian markets in Syracuse: The Best Place to Find Obscure Asian Ingredients in the Syracuse Area | A-line Magazine

Old 09-12-2011, 01:07 PM

That's helpful - I'll certainly use that myself; thanks, CKH.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:31 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
That's exactly where I live, and I wouldn't say it's the sort of place where one needs to be "on alert." Not, at least, any more than one needs to be anywhere in Upstate New York.

Midtown is a little shy on some amenities, but does have decent restaurants, bars, and corner-store-type markets (more South Asian than East Asian, but there is one very good Korean restaurant). It's as walkable as anyplace, within ten blocks of both downtown and University Hill. Hasn't got a great neighborhood feel, though, and with a ton of construction going on, it's not the most attractive neighborhood around, either.

Downtown might be a better fit for a couple reasons, not least of which is housing stock that is vastly superior to that in Midtown. Undergraduate university students are not always the best neighbors, either.
"On alert", for me, means keeping the valuables out of the car and having it locked anytime we're not in it, being friendlier than I probably feel like so I'm not on the receiving end of mischief, bringing in bikes and lawn stuff and tools inside a locked garage at night, and not throwing open the door to whomever rings the bell. lol - I don't mean eyeing people down suspiciously and holding pepper spray while out for a walk.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:52 PM

No, no, I knew what you meant. Seems like common sense stuff to me. And I like the idea of being unnecessarily friendly on the street.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:03 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,962 times
The safety tips that proulxfamily mentions should be practiced no matter where you live but the pepper spray really isn't necessary. If you read the local police blotter and look at the reports of incidents... the people who are accosted on the street for muggins, robberies etc. are nearly always - with almost no exceptions I can think of - either walking very late at night, in bad neighborhoods, have apparent links to drug related activities, or some combination of those things.

For city neighborhoods I really think the outer east side / outer University fits the OP's criteria best. Strathmore is another possibility. Although it's a further drive by car to the Asian markets you are close to the Onondaga Blvd. Wegmans, no more than ten minutes from Community Hospital and it's a good walking neighborhood. If you go east or north of Strathmore towards the city center you are heading into some dicey areas pretty quickly but the same can be said of many city neighborhoods - mine included. My point is that in the city there seems to be a natural sort of containment. Apart from petty thefts like cars with visible valuable being broken into there is very little criminal activity that crosses over from problem areas into the nicer residential areas.

The OP mentioned " Lincoln Park, Hawley-Green area,"

I say nix Hawley-Green for safety reasons - it's a very mixed area in terms of professionals and historic homes mixed in with a tough element and run down rental properties. Lincoln park is nicer but it's a fairly small neighborhood and not so good for walking once you get out of the immediate neighborhood.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:08 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
The OP mentioned " Lincoln Park, Hawley-Green area,"

I say nix Hawley-Green for safety reasons - it's a very mixed area in terms of professionals and historic homes mixed in with a tough element and run down rental properties.
Completely agree with this. I had high hopes for Hawley-Green, but when I went to check out the townhouses, the area was an immediate "heck no!" for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area