Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 02:31 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,608,389 times

Advertisements

A recently published article in The Chronicle for Higher Education examines some of the changes that have occurred at SU since Nancy Cantor became Chancellor. Titled "Syracuse's Slide," the article examines SU's decline in U.S News and World Report's College Rankings, increasing diversity, reduction in merit aide and a corresponding increase in need-based aid, a 20% increase in student enrollment, the loss of the prestigious AAU membership and the college's increased role in revitalizing the city, among other things.

The comments following the article are particularly interesting.

http://imaginingamerica.org/wp-conte...uses-Slide.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 06:17 PM

92,576 posts, read 122,853,324 times
I'm not surprised by the article, as there have been sentiments on both sides of the fence. I wonder if the writer just looked for academics that were opposed to what she is doing, instead of trying to have a more balanced view?

Also, the rankings are interesting, as I wonder if there will any adjustment in terms of aid for academic programs.

As far as aid and increased diversity/student enrollment, it seems to be apparent on campus. With many private schools stepping up aid, this isn't just a Syracuse University thing.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:39 PM

Although I agree somewhat with the premise of the article that SU's academic standing or prestige has declined under Cantor's tenure; I don't think the article was very balanced and relied too heavily on several older faculty members. According to numerous comments responding to the article, there were several faculty members who supported Cantor's initiatives and spent considerable time with the reporter. Their viewpoints were not included in the article. One thing I found particularly troubling was the 25% increase in spending on administrative functions over the past decade while funding for academics increased by a paltry 3%. Colleges and other non profits just like the much maligned "big corporations" can be top heavy.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:53 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,991,185 times
It was a hell of a hit piece, that's for sure. Very, very unbalanced (helped by the entry today online that covered the other side of things).

Old 10-17-2011, 03:53 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,567,016 times
It was a weird hit piece that didn't seem to have much in the way of hard evidence of "declining standards." However, the comments are more interesting to read. Yes, unfortunately it is true that she and her group of administrators rubbed many people the wrong way from day one. It isn't fair to characterize the disgruntled as people who don't like her initiatives or her politics. (Right after she arrived, a memorial wall was put up in her honor. That's chutzpah - or arrogance, take your pick.) That is more of an issue than her initiatives or the school's rankings.

Kenneth Shaw was a much more collegial, much more available chancellor. He would hang out on the Quad chatting to rank and file employees and offering handshakes on a first-name basis to visitors. He also steered SU through very tough times. When Cantor arrived, all that changed. For the first few years at least, you couldn't even get physically near her - she was totally surrounded by an entourage. A complete culture change at the university, not necessarily a good one. Very corporate - very weird.

I always felt the problem was more the people around her than the chancellor herself. I like some of what she's done there, some of it seems very gimmicky. (Sometimes also I think the school should be renamed JPMorgan Chase University at Syracuse, but that's another topic.) Unfortunately - all these initiatives depend greatly on tuition dollars brought in by student loans/grants for this new population of students she's brought in, and government grants. When the money dries up, as it inevitably must, most of what she's tried to do will deflate. The biggest problem is that she and her group of supporters act like that day is never going to come. They seem to think higher education exists in a magic, expansive bubble, forever immune from the current depression. That used to be true of higher ed, but increasingly no longer.

Quote:
One thing I found particularly troubling was the 25% increase in spending on administrative functions over the past decade while funding for academics increased by a paltry 3%.
This problem is not unique to Syracuse University at all. This is all over higher education. More and more administrative positions (assistant directors of this, associate executive directors of that) are being created at American universities every year. All these extra-curricular initiatives at SU demand more and more of these hires. There are a lot more people in higher education now who do not teach, do not type, and do not push a broom. They just go to meetings all day. This IS part of the reason why your tuition is going up.

Last edited by Jeromeville; 10-17-2011 at 04:04 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
It was a weird hit piece that didn't seem to have much in the way of hard evidence of "declining standards." However, the comments are more interesting to read. Yes, unfortunately it is true that she and her group of administrators rubbed many people here the wrong way from day one. It isn't fair to characterize the disgruntled as people who don't like her initiatives or her politics. (Right after she arrived, a memorial wall was put up in her honor. That's chutzpah - or arrogance, take your pick.) That is more of an issue than her initiatives or the school's rankings.

Kenneth Shaw was a much more collegial, much more available chancellor. He would hang out on the Quad chatting to rank and file employees and offering handshakes on a first-name basis to visitors. He also steered SU through very tough times. When Cantor arrived, all that changed. For the first few years at least, you couldn't even get physically near her - she was totally surrounded by an entourage. A complete culture change at the university, not necessarily a good one. Very corporate - very weird.

I always felt the problem was more the people around her than the chancellor herself. I like some of what she's done there, some of it seems very gimmicky. (Sometimes also I think the school should be renamed JPMorgan Chase University at Syracuse, but that's another topic.) Unfortunately - all these initiatives depend greatly on tuition dollars brought in by student loans/grants for this new population of students she's brought in, and government grants. When the money dries up, as it inevitably must, most of what she's tried to do will deflate. The biggest problem is that she and her group of supporters act like that day is never going to come. They seem to think higher education exists in a magic, expansive bubble, forever immune from the current depression. That used to be true of higher ed, but increasingly no longer.

This problem is not unique to Syracuse University at all. This is all over higher education. More and more administrative positions (assistant directors of this, associate executive directors of that) are being created every year. All these extra-curricular initiatives at SU demand more and more of these hires. There are a lot more people in higher education now who do not teach, do not type, and do not push a broom. They just go to meetings all day. This IS part of the reason why your tuition is going up.
You make some very good points. Many believe the next "bubble" will be higher education and more specifically student loan debt. It does seem unlikely that some of Cantor's initiatives will have staying power if a third of the student body is poor enough to receive Pell Grants and other loan products that likely carry high interest rates. As more students default on their loans or are unable to obtain other scholarships, it may be difficult to maintain record high enrollment levels. I do agree, however, with Cantor's decision to increase the college's role in economic development. As someone looking in from the outside, its hard to tell if hiring National Grid's former Economic Development Director and the former Director of the Onondaga County Industrial Development Agency, both likely at high salaries have paid dividends to the community. Most major universities now have staff dedicated to spearheading economic development activities including the commercialization of technologies developed at college incubators, working with local agencies to attract new or expanding businesses, and refining college courses to meet demands of local and regional businesses. Based on reading SU's Alumni Magazine (my parents are alumni) and press releases announcing new hires, it doesn't surprise me that administrative costs have shot through the roof.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 10-17-2011 at 04:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area