Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 08:01 AM

92,819 posts, read 123,189,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Honeywell to avoid boat wrecks on bottom of Onondaga Lake while dredging | syracuse.com

While I do support the maritime historic district, I need some clarification. Maybe I am reading too much into this, but I am hearing two (2) things.

1) Lake Champlain Maritime Museum, of Vergennes, Vt., said in a new report to Honeywell that a 58-acre section of the southern end of the lake should be designated a maritime historic district;

2) Honeywell said it has adopted the consultant’s recommendations and will work around the historical artifacts when it vacuums up 2.65 million cubic yards of lake bottom contaminated with mercury and other hazardous chemicals.

Question(s):

Does that mean Honeywell will NOT dredge within the 58 acres designated a maritime historic district? Or, will it dredge immediately around the artifacts? If the former (58 acres), wouldn't that leavei a significant amount of contaminated lake bottom to be capped)? I am more comfortable with the later than the former.

Also, why can't the artifacts be archaeologically excavated, restored and displayed at a local museum, i.e. the Salt Museum. Let me guess, cost!? It seems shameful the artifacts will be spared dredging, only to be capped. Only photos will be used for historical reference.
Interesting information about the artifacts. I'm also surprised that they wouldn't be on display at say the Salt Museum, the Onondaga Historical Association, the Erie Canal Museum or even the Everson Museum, among others. You would think that someone would use them to their advantage as a display.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 08:03 AM

580 posts, read 1,171,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post

Also, why can't the artifacts be archaeologically excavated, restored and displayed at a local museum, i.e. the Salt Museum. Let me guess, cost!? It seems shameful the artifacts will be spared dredging, only to be capped. Only photos will be used for historical reference.
No, it's very difficult - often impossible - to raise wrecks without destroying them. They're preserved (mummified, essentially) in the water. We'll have to enjoy them from afar.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:21 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,612,867 times
An Op-Ed piece about revitalizing cities highlighted Syracuse's green infrastructure programs and efforts to cleanup Onondaga Lake. A six minute video produced by the National Resouces Defense Council (NRDC) showcases Onondaga County's "Save the Rain" initiative in downtown Syracuse. There is some nice footage of downtown and Onondaga Lake Park.

Susanna Murley: A Few Smart Ideas to Clean Up and Re-energize Cities

Old 02-08-2012, 12:23 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,860,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
An Op-Ed piece about revitalizing cities highlighted Syracuse's green infrastructure programs and efforts to cleanup Onondaga Lake. A six minute video produced by the National Resouces Defense Council (NRDC) showcases Onondaga County's "Save the Rain" initiative in downtown Syracuse. There is some nice footage of downtown and Onondaga Lake Park.

Susanna Murley: A Few Smart Ideas to Clean Up and Re-energize Cities
Great video, thanks! Interesting revelation by the C.E. that there is "pressure for development" as a result of the lake clean-up. I think that is something we all (on this forum) have said would happen once the lake is cleaned-up. Onondaga Lake is a huge asset for the region, particularly its proximity to the urbancore.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:55 PM

This is related to this topic: Paddlers navigate Nine Mile Creek for 1st time

Old 11-01-2017, 11:34 AM

Talk about a step up: 4.5 million gallons of sewage spews into Onondaga Lake as pipe bursts from rain | syracuse.com

Old 11-02-2017, 01:59 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,756,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Had to click through to a couple more articles to find out that the concrete pipe is disintegrating from sewer gas on three different major sewage force main pipes. Multi million dollar ouch to fix.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Had to click through to a couple more articles to find out that the concrete pipe is disintegrating from sewer gas on three different major sewage force main pipes. Multi million dollar ouch to fix.
Yes and I wonder how this impacts the lake cleanup that Honeywell has been a part of.

Meant to say step back, btw.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:47 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,756,477 times
Raw sewage constituents (especially now, without industrial contributions) aren't as persistent in the environment as the Allied waste. To the lake, it's much the same as the hundred years plus of receiving combined sewage/stormwater. So, once it's fixed at the source (the crumbling pipes), it's fixed - at least until the successor pipes crumble.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Raw sewage constituents (especially now, without industrial contributions) aren't as persistent in the environment as the Allied waste. To the lake, it's much the same as the hundred years plus of receiving combined sewage/stormwater. So, once it's fixed at the source (the crumbling pipes), it's fixed - at least until the successor pipes crumble.
Good and hopefully given the situation of the lake, the pipe will be replaced as soon as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area