Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2011, 08:07 AM

94,272 posts, read 125,194,457 times

Advertisements

Here's an interesting article about Canadian shoppers in the area: Canadian shoppers, drawn by the variety and prices of products, flock to Syracuse to shop, dine, stay -- and fly | syracuse.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 09:27 AM

538 posts, read 2,463,207 times
Seems like a good thing. If only we could go there for free healthcare

If I ever make it to Syracuse, I would definitely miss Costco. Sam's Club doesn't cut it. Even now, I drive 40 miles each way to stock up since there are none here either. But at least there's one in Kingston, Ontario!

Old 12-31-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
Seems like a good thing. If only we could go there for free healthcare

If I ever make it to Syracuse, I would definitely miss Costco. Sam's Club doesn't cut it. Even now, I drive 40 miles each way to stock up since there are none here either. But at least there's one in Kingston, Ontario!
Just get an enhanced driver's license. It serves as an alternative for getting a passport to enter into Canada. Kingston is a nice city and it's only about a couple of hours away.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:15 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,877,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Great article, the potential for tourism is huge and should get bigger. I would suggest that (if it already has been) the convention bureau and tourism officials tap into this opportunity by marketing Armory Square, Hanover Square, etc. Hopefully, the proposed Marriot will get underway in 2012. Also, as the Connective Corridor, the Creekwalk and other attractions come on line, Canadians may be enticed to make additional trips throughout the year. Hopefully, a developer for the inner harbor will be selected and a Bass Pro or a Cabelas will locate there. As for Bob Congel, he needs to do two things 1) get the "Destiny" hotel underway and, 2) get an IKEA, Nordstroms, and/or a Neiman Marcus to the area!

My favorite quote is by chef Justin Wright of Justin’s restaurant at Yorktown Circle regarding the Canadians: “It’s had a positive impact on my business and a big-time impact on the hotels,” said Wright. “Hurray for Uncle Bob Congel. Somebody has to support his mall.”

Old 01-01-2012, 07:21 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,625,405 times
While you see this as a positive thing for Syracuse, I see it as a sign of bigger problems concerning the U.S. dollar. We used to be the ones who crossed the border to take advantage of the exchange rates, but we haven't had that advantage for a while and may not see it any time soon.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
While you see this as a positive thing for Syracuse, I see it as a sign of bigger problems concerning the U.S. dollar. We used to be the ones who crossed the border to take advantage of the exchange rates, but we haven't had that advantage for a while and may not see it any time soon.
Good point about the American dollar. While that may be the case, our location helps in that regard, as Canadians are going to be more apt to shop in the Syracuse area or other Upstate NY locations versus going further South. So, the area benefits from the higher Canadian dollar in ways most other parts of the country can't or are less likely to do so.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:27 PM

406 posts, read 1,454,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I believe the article stated that the dollar exchange rate is about the same, which it is @ .98. The reason our northern neighbors are shopping here has more to do with value, lower tax rates and greater selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area