Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 12:06 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,498,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
On the set: Hollywood movie shooting in Syracuse brings on more star power with John Cusack, others joining cast | syracuse.com

“We looked at Detroit, then we came here,” Coffey said. “As soon as I left the airport and drove around, I knew I wanted to shoot here. The architecture, everything is wonderful. We’re mindful to shoot as much of this city as we can.”

Sweet, they were looking for a trashy depressed city to shoot a movie about drug addiction and adult book stores and Syracuse fit the bill better than Detroit. We're #1!
Oh boy, you have your troll hat on again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 12:38 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,603,905 times
It's good to see what outsiders have to say about the area since so many people here drink the koolaid. The haters are not the only ones that compare Syracuse to Detroit. Apparently, outsiders also see the similarities.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:00 PM

92,012 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
It's good to see what outsiders have to say about the area since so many people here drink the koolaid. The haters are not the only ones that compare Syracuse to Detroit. Apparently, outsiders also see the similarities.
As a person that has family in Detroit and has been in the city before, it is close and I mean that in terms of similarities outside of a blue collar vibe. Even Detroit has some great neighborhoods.

Also, after reading the article, a local Guy heads the production company behind the film. It isn't so much about the adult industry, but about how hard it is for new graduates and others to find work. Basically, a sign of the times film in that regard.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:10 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
As a person that has family in Detroit and has been in the city before, it is close and I mean that in terms of similarities outside of a blue collar vibe. Even Detroit has some great neighborhoods.

Also, after reading the article, a local Guy heads the production company behind the film. It isn't so much about the adult industry, but about how hard it is for new graduates and others to find work. Basically, a sign of the times film in that regard.

How is the city of Detroit so "close" to Syracuse? I agree both cities are depressed but Detroit lost 25% of its population in the last census while Syracuse held steady. The racial and ethnic makeup of both cities are nothing alike with Detroit being less than 8% white while Syracuse is just over 50% white with a diverse mix of Blacks, Hispanics and Asians. From an architectural standpoint, both cities have some impressive buildings and are experiencing a modest improvement in their downtowns.

The suburbs of Detroit with the notable exceptions of Birmingham, Rochester Hills, "the Pointe's", Bloomfield Hills, Farmington Hills, Troy and a few others, are pretty low income and have experienced significant population losses that in many cases approach or exceed double digits. Several communities like Pontiac, Southfield, Highland Park, and Dearborn have many of the same problems as Detroit with high crime, failing schools, and blight that is head and shoulders more profound than what some of Syracuse's first ring suburbs have experienced.

I don't mean to be critical, but aside from a blue collar vibe, Great Lakes location, regional accent and a population that prefers driving ugly looking American made cars I don't see too many similarities; although if Syracuse doesn't do a better job of retaining its college grads and growing STEM jobs as opposed to manufacturing it risks becomg the northeast version of Flint.

I do wish Syracuse had Detroit's music talent and good R&B, Soul and Hip Hop radio stations.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 02-11-2012 at 04:25 PM..

Old 02-11-2012, 05:05 PM

Meant to say that it ISN'T close. Detroit is totally different than Syracuse. Pretty much what you said Rolls, by and large.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-11-2012 at 05:14 PM..

Old 02-11-2012, 07:58 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,735,436 times
Well, there's reality and then fiction...

Is Syracuse a shining metropolis? Hardly.

Is Syracuse on an upward swing? ABSOLUTELY.

How this movie is a bad example of Syracuse, from what I've read, is beyond comprehension. Poetry is wonderful. Poetry as a major, for a viable line of work? Ridiculous. Adult World is a lucky happenstance, for actual poetry. The thing is.... you don't need a degree for it, much less a costly, student-loan-necessitating one.

Like I said- reality. lol

Old 02-13-2012, 11:10 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Meant to say that it ISN'T close. Detroit is totally different than Syracuse. Pretty much what you said Rolls, by and large.
No worries. Cleveland reminds me of a larger version of Syracuse. Like Central New York, Northeast Ohio has lost several notable corporate headquarters facilities and manufacturing plants and now faces high airfares coupled with the prospect for further reductions in air traffic. Some suspect the Continental/United Hub at Hopkins Field may close in several years. Despite those challenges, Cleveland has made tremendous strides in redeveloping its prime frontage on Lake Erie and changing perceptions of being "The Mistake on the Lake" which is quite similiar to improvements underway at Onondaga Lake. The region has also developed a pretty impressive medical corridor called University Circle which has some similarities with our University Hill and potential redevelopment at Kennedy Square; although on a much more modest scale. While Syracuse doesn't and will likely never have a medical institution comprable to the Cleveland Clinic, I do see some parallels.

University Circle | Cleveland Ohio | Arts & Culture, Education & Medical District

Old 02-15-2012, 09:37 AM

628 posts, read 658,348 times
Syracuse is in no way "depressed" and I feel sorry for anyone how thinks that.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:10 AM

"Adult World" is going to be on the Syracuse University campus: Film starring Emma Roberts to shoot several scenes on SU campus

Old 03-01-2012, 10:33 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,498,300 times
Syracuse sees more star power as Cloris Leachman joins the cast of the movie 'Adult World,' now filming in and around the city | syracuse.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area