Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 01:28 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,843,847 times

Advertisements

How is the Syracuse area for flipping houses? Is it a lucrative market? I see a fair amount of $60k houses, I wonder if these could be rehabbed and sold for a significant profit. Like bought for $60k and sold for $100k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 01:47 PM

94,272 posts, read 125,194,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
How is the Syracuse area for flipping houses? Is it a lucrative market? I see a fair amount of $60k houses, I wonder if these could be rehabbed and sold for a significant profit. Like bought for $60k and sold for $100k.
It could work, depennding on where they are located. For instance, my dad owns property on Bellevue Avenue and he has been approached about possibly selling the property. He said that a guy from Connecticut bought a nearby property and that college students have rented the place out. So, you never know who might be interested.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:34 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,287,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Someone at work was shocked to hear that even on weekends I drive from Marcellus to "the city" to go to dinner and do shopping. Trips to Skaneatles are a big day trip for some city swellers, but for me and many others it is a daily commute.
I go to Syracuse when I want a cup of coffee and think nothing of it. I work with a bunch of people that come in from Syracuse. Also in Utica fairly often.

But I come here and folks act like Oneida requires a passport and a stop at the bank to exchange Oneida money for Syracuse money.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I go to Syracuse when I want a cup of coffee and think nothing of it. I work with a bunch of people that come in from Syracuse. Also in Utica fairly often.

But I come here and folks act like Oneida requires a passport and a stop at the bank to exchange Oneida money for Syracuse money.
Just wondering, what is the difference in the money between the two areas?

Old 03-14-2012, 09:49 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,625,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Sean forgot to post using the sarcasm font or maybe one of these...

Old 03-15-2012, 01:17 AM

38 posts, read 67,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
My costs when in Raleigh:

property taxes - unknown, rented for $850
gas/electric - joke, $40 in dead winter for gas, $35 for electric
car insurance - $50/month for 6 year old truck
home insurance - unknown. Prob. higher due to hurricanes
cable/phone/internet - $100 month for all 3
cell phones - $90/month thru verizon
gas - GasBuddy shows current price at $3.67
groceries - $75/week, but I only bought organic foods at Whole Foods or Harris Teeter
water - water and sewer was $45/month
HOA - none
Car registration - $40/year
Car (yes, they tax this as property in NC)- depends on the rate in your town and whether or not you are in a fire district (??) weird, I know. But my 6 year old truck was about $85/year based on its value.

Philly costs:

property taxes - rent $1100 for 1 bed, but in desirable area
gas/electric - winter cost $65 gas, $50 electric
car insurance - $150/month
home insurance - n/a
cable/phone/internet - basic cable $9, phone $25, internet $45, Netflix $8
cell phones - Straight talk $45/month
gas - usually fill up in NJ, $3.45, in PA $3.65 currently
groceries - $75/week organic, Whole Foods or Wegmans
water - free
HOA - none
Car registration - registered in NJ for my business, $72/year, includes inspection
Car tax - none
So far I have found that the overall cost of living is slightly better in Raleigh, but some things are comperable. My electric bill there was $150 in the summer and obviously less in the winter (if you could call it that). I have not bought car insurance here and don't plan on buying a house so property taxes won't be an issue. The cost of groceries seems to be roughly the same, the cost of gas is about fifteen cents more here which definately blows. As I said in the OP, the biggest difference I have run into is the apartment situation.

That being said, the Raleigh-Durham area is a very transitional area. When I was in the military I visited my mom in NC in in 1985. I grew up in Michigan and she had just moved there. Believe it or not, at that time the Durham area was "the" place to live. Then the more influencial people moved to Knightdale and Durham went to hell. Then out of nowhere Cary became the hot place and everyone moved there. Now everyone in Cary is hauling ass to Clayton. In a few years it will be somewhere else.

I think this area has a lot more personality than The Traingle. From what I've seen so far, downtown Syracuse is much cooler than downtown Raleigh. Downtown Durham is now a war zone.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:50 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,287,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Depends on the exchange rate of that day. Frankly Oneida uses just plain American money and no place in Syracuse has ever given me any trouble. Only on City-Data do I find that Syracuse is its own World. If I had to guess I'd say the coin of the realm was pixie dust.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Depends on the exchange rate of that day. Frankly Oneida uses just plain American money and no place in Syracuse has ever given me any trouble. Only on City-Data do I find that Syracuse is its own World. If I had to guess I'd say the coin of the realm was pixie dust.
I don't know about own world, but issues, concerns, personal things and so on can vary within the same metro. I think those were the things people were alluding to in your past time on here.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger6 View Post
So far I have found that the overall cost of living is slightly better in Raleigh, but some things are comperable. My electric bill there was $150 in the summer and obviously less in the winter (if you could call it that). I have not bought car insurance here and don't plan on buying a house so property taxes won't be an issue. The cost of groceries seems to be roughly the same, the cost of gas is about fifteen cents more here which definately blows. As I said in the OP, the biggest difference I have run into is the apartment situation.

That being said, the Raleigh-Durham area is a very transitional area. When I was in the military I visited my mom in NC in in 1985. I grew up in Michigan and she had just moved there. Believe it or not, at that time the Durham area was "the" place to live. Then the more influencial people moved to Knightdale and Durham went to hell. Then out of nowhere Cary became the hot place and everyone moved there. Now everyone in Cary is hauling ass to Clayton. In a few years it will be somewhere else.

I think this area has a lot more personality than The Traingle. From what I've seen so far, downtown Syracuse is much cooler than downtown Raleigh. Downtown Durham is now a war zone.
Just to be fair, Henderson will be different, as it is very rural and is actually in the Watertown micropolitan area. I believe its overall COL is at the national average and is probably more affordable than or on par with Raleigh-Durham suburbs. Henderson also includes Henderson Harbor: VISIT THE 1000 ISLANDS » Henderson Harbor, NY

Also, the commute into Syracuse has to be considered, as commuting that far out is the exception.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:49 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,843,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger6 View Post

You hit the nail on the head. You'd always hear about a new, hip place to live. When I was there, it was definitely Wake Forest, and yes, definitely Clayton. I was down in Raleigh a few weeks ago- all the new shopping centers in Clayton, with dead end roads that just stop at a cornfield. Just stop. As if to say, when this field is bulldozed for another shopping center, the road will be right there waiting for it. Kinda sad.

Durham, to me, has become a place for pseudo hipsters to feel like their cool by eating at places like "Toast", while poor people are begging for money outside. Chapel Hill and Carrboro are really nice towns though.

Syracuse has piqued my interest a bit. What I think the area has in spades over Raleigh is that, to me at least, Raleigh is an oasis in an extremely boring area. The Triangle is awesome, I'll admit. But to the east, you got slash pine forests, hog farms, military towns, and extremely backward and poor areas until you get to the Outer Banks, 3 hours east. North is close to the same, except for the corporate hog farming operations. Lots of logging operations to the north, and driving on I-85 north to Richmond is about as interesting a landscape as driving through eastern Kansas. West and south are pretty boring until you get to the mountains, which are awesome, but 4 hours from downtown Raleigh. Syracuse seems to have more interesting landscapes close at hand, with the Catskills and the 'dacks, natural lakes, and Lake Ontario nearby.

What I think Raleigh has in spades over Syracuse: a serious lack of abandoned industrial blight. Raleigh has so many fresh and new areas, a lot a Syracuse is tired and old looking. However, I haven't been there in a few years, and things in America have been changing quickly. Living in Manayunk in Philly, which is completely gentrified, but surrounded by a lot of industrial blight, has made me appreciate the past more. It seems like the city is on the upswing. I googled a major intersection in Syracuse, and here's what came up:

Google Maps

Downtown Durham:

Google Maps

Downtown Raleigh:

Google Maps

Hope those links work. I like the Syracuse downtown the best. Granted, these could be different times of day, but downtown Raleigh, aside from Glenwood Ave, is pretty work-a-day and boring. Clearly, most of the action in the Triangle occurs in the suburbs. So, thanks to this website I'm completely confused as to where to relocate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area