Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:57 AM

261 posts, read 358,620 times

Advertisements

Becca I think its a different preference for things to do. And you already know, the weather is a big factor for me. It goes back to the fit thing we were talking about in the Buffalo thread. My idea of something to do involves canoing, floating down a river in an intertube, fishing, spending the day riding the four wheeler. I don't really care for festivals (unless there is wine involved

Obviously Syracuse doesn't fit for the OP like it didn't fit for me. If you gave me that list of things to do I would be uninspired too. For some people, it doesn't matter how hard they try, they are not going to like the area. I don't believe the OP will be happy in Syracuse or any upstate NY city. It doesn't mean he's wrong, just a different preference/lifestyle.

I remember trying to find out what all the fuss of Armory square was about. I walked around there for about an hour and all I saw were restaurants and shopping places. Not my cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 12:05 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,546,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyskies1 View Post
Becca I think its a different preference for things to do. And you already know, the weather is a big factor for me. It goes back to the fit thing we were talking about in the Buffalo thread. My idea of something to do involves canoing, floating down a river in an intertube, fishing, spending the day riding the four wheeler. I don't really care for festivals (unless there is wine involved

Obviously Syracuse doesn't fit for the OP like it didn't fit for me. If you gave me that list of things to do I would be uninspired too. For some people, it doesn't matter how hard they try, they are not going to like the area. I don't believe the OP will be happy in Syracuse or any upstate NY city. It doesn't mean he's wrong, just a different preference/lifestyle.

I remember trying to find out what all the fuss of Armory square was about. I walked around there for about an hour and all I saw were restaurants and shopping places. Not my cup of tea.
Did you ever get my PM response before RE the Hawaii thing? I know you were having problems with the messaging and I never heard back, so I wasn't sure. Hope you're doing well!!

And yes, I completely agree - Syracuse is not for everyone. I am perfectly fine with someone saying "Syracuse doesn't have things that I LIKE to do." Problem is, the majority of posters slamming Syracuse do not say this - they are insistent that there is absolutely nothing to do at all. That's where I have the issue.

Did you by chance ever hit up the Finger Lakes Wine Festival while you were here? It's in Watkins Glen and I have gone every single year that I've lived here - I look forward to it more than any other holiday lol!!

Old 03-10-2012, 12:10 PM

288 posts, read 511,978 times
Quote:

And bars, jewelers, apartments, hotels, tobacco shops, convenient store...it's pretty much as diverse as it can get...what do you expect...a hardware store in armory square?

Old 03-10-2012, 12:16 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,775,605 times
Townhouse East, in the village of Manlius, would seem to meet your qualifications on price and your dog.

I've never tried to rent with an animal but I assume it's very limited. That's why people with animals tend to NEED to put quite a bit more effort into rental-hunting. To a landlord, who is looking to reasonably protect his investment, an animal is a peeing/pooping, clawing, chewing liability... it's easier to make that sort of plea to the landlord himself (private rental), rather than a property or leasing manager/showperson who has no power (or the expectation of it) to make that judgement.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:22 PM

261 posts, read 358,620 times
Hey Becca I did get your PM, seems to be working now.

I never did the glen wine tour but I did Keuka's BBQ one and that was awesome. Drove around the lake and had wine and food at every winery. Beautiful views, and lots of good music too. It was a lot of fun.

There is a winery outside of Watertown heading towards Canada that does a wine festival once a year. They have live music, hay rides, vendors, it's a good time.

And to the poster who made the snarky hardware store comment, I was looking for something to do that didn't involve shopping/buying merchandise. When I lived there that seemed to be the only thing people I knew liked to do, go buy something.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Hey Becca I did get your PM, seems to be working now.

I never did the glen wine tour but I did Keuka's BBQ one and that was awesome. Drove around the lake and had wine and food at every winery. Beautiful views, and lots of good music too. It was a lot of fun.

There is a winery outside of Watertown heading towards Canada that does a wine festival once a year. They have live music, hay rides, vendors, it's a good time.

And to the poster who made the snarky hardware store comment, I was looking for something to do that didn't involve shopping/buying merchandise. When I lived there that seemed to be the only thing people I knew liked to do, go buy something.
Yes I have heard of that festival that you're talking about, but the name is escaping me at the moment. I believe it's usually in late summer/early Fall - I was going to go this past year but had other stuff going on.

Shame you never went to Finger Lakes Wine Fest - it is by far my favorite festival of the year (Taste of Syracuse being my second favorite).

I forget, but where are you living now? I remember you said you lived in Liverpool - were you in Village Green the entire time or did you rent elsewhere?

Old 03-10-2012, 12:30 PM

94,272 posts, read 125,194,457 times
Sunnyskies, those things you like to do are in the next county over, Oswego County. I know people in rural parts of Onondaga County that are into those things as well. That's why it is important to ask and the more specific you are the better. You don't even have to leave the metro area for those activities either.

Visit Oswego County | History, Festivals, Fishing and Outdoor Activities Highlight Each Season

The Great Outdoors | Visit Oswego County

Welcome to Madison County, NY | Madison County Tourism Inc.

Sports and Outdoors | Madison County Tourism Inc.

Home » Onondaga County Parks

and adjacent counties just outside of the metro area: Cayuga County recreation and activities - biking fishing parks golf in Finger Lakes NY

Experience Cortland

Old 03-10-2012, 12:41 PM

94,272 posts, read 125,194,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Townhouse East, in the village of Manlius, would seem to meet your qualifications on price and your dog.

I've never tried to rent with an animal but I assume it's very limited. That's why people with animals tend to NEED to put quite a bit more effort into rental-hunting. To a landlord, who is looking to reasonably protect his investment, an animal is a peeing/pooping, clawing, chewing liability... it's easier to make that sort of plea to the landlord himself (private rental), rather than a property or leasing manager/showperson who has no power (or the expectation of it) to make that judgement.
Great point proulxfamily, as the owner will protect his/her investment to the highest degree that they feel comfortable with.

Also, if an apartment doesn't have everything you want on site, that thing that is missing may be close by, like a park, fitness center/gym or a Laundromat.

You may also find something different too. For instance, Clayton Manor has a Car Wash bay on the premises.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:47 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,633,365 times
Quote:

Perhaps if Armory Square had a Wal-Mart, Quaker Steak and Lube, a store that sold Nascar memorabilia and beef jerky, a bar inspired by Toby Keith, a Rent-A-Center, and parking for ATV's it would be more palatable to you. There is something called the MOST, also known as a science museum that may provide more cerebral activities but the last time I checked admission wasn't free, so you would technically have to spend money to go there. While some would argue that the science museum is too small and not up to par with their "Redneck Riviera" or "Daytona Beach" standards, one could certainly "slum it out" for a couple of hours. Each to their own.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 03-10-2012 at 01:00 PM..

Old 03-10-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Perhaps if Armory Square had a Wal-Mart, Quaker Steak and Lube, a store that sold Nascar memorabilia and beef jerky, a bar inspired by Toby Keith, a Rent-A-Center, and parking for ATV's it would be more palatable for you. There is something called the MOST, also known as a science museum that may provide more cerebral activities but the last time I checked admission wasn't free, so you would technically have to spend money to go there. While some would argue that the science museum is too small and not up to par with their "Redneck Riviera or Daytona Beach" standards, one could certainly "slum it out" for a couple of hours.
You know me, I'm very happy here in Syracuse, but Rolls - that is not fair.

She did not say what specifically she was looking for. She admits that Syracuse was not for her, but understands that it's fine for others. Accusing someone of being a redneck or wanting to hang out at a Wal-mart just because they don't like the area offerings is not fair. She is one of the few people I have come across on this site that says Syracuse doesn't have what she LIKES to do, but does have plenty available.

I personally am not a museum person. I know there are museums here in the area, but I wouldn't willingly go to them unless I had a specific reason to. I made it a point before I left Hawaii to visit some historical/musem type places because I would kick myself if I said I lived there and never took the time to visit those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area